Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Sepa ! (Registered 2024-05-13) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Sound Monitor and broken file
2006-03-17 21:17
Sidder
Account closed

Sound Monitor and broken file

Hello,

In my C64 floppy-archive I've found a song composed in Sound Monitor. Unfortunately, the source file is broken; it was probably saved with some errors or it "got hurt" during transer data into d64.

Normally Sound Monitor tune takes 77 blocks on disk. This broken file has 76 blocks - one wonderful and so precious block disappeared in miracoulus way.

Of course now I'm not able to load the bad file into Sound Monitor: editor crashes after load tune.

But... maybe there is possibility to fix the tune so that I could run it under Sound Monitor? This editor's tunes aren't packed and... only one block got lost. :] Is there any hope for me?

If it's possible to fix the file and if someone would like to help me - I'll be thankful.

Regards,
Sidder.

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-03-19 12:39
Steppe

Are you holding a tribunal against Yodelking now? I plead he's guilty, guilty, guilty!!! Hang him high for being so lame and for being too lazy to properly document the fixing process!
2006-03-19 15:20
Oswald

looks like the first sector is gone, or either the directory entry points to the 2nd sector instead of the 1st.

the BAD file is exactly $100 shorter,

try to load the file to $8100.
2006-03-19 18:26
THE TEA DRINKER

Quote: Are you holding a tribunal against Yodelking now? I plead he's guilty, guilty, guilty!!! Hang him high for being so lame and for being too lazy to properly document the fixing process!

Steppe I can only say NO to this it just pointless to try the same stuff as other have try out allready, is that hard to understand?
I through it was helping we should do to Sidder for fixing tune, well since I could say I cannot fix the tune, I have try it, but didn't work, was not good enough explanation for me, or I did think over why couldn't he fix it.

So maybe I'm total stupid but it's more easy to find the bug if we know what others do. I like troubles like these but ok someone ask for help so I try explain to Sidder why is still not working even if it could be waste of time for such old tune, but I know musicdatanumbers in $7000 is not possible to hear when you load from $80fe or $8100 still doesn't help the problem of this tune, why was this not someone have told before than me, I just try to say to Yodelking was his fault was, I accept he has the knowledge for trying fix it but I didn't like his result of his conclusion of what he did. It's more an advice to him not a threath against him or what you think it else could be. Your post in this hmmm what can I say, is that helping Sidder with the problem of his tune ?
Do you want to help or just say we other cannot fix it ?

I think if alot users try something (the best) we can maybe get it to work at last, it will not gonna be easy to fix but should it be that.
--------
To Oswald sounds like a good idea but allready try it musicdatanumbers is changed from 7000 to 004e in the first 2 position of songs else the rest is same but it will not work, so trying the excatly $100 bytes is proberly more wrong than $fe is more correct, that's just my few cents for try fixing this tune for Sidder.

Sidder if you want to fix it you can maybe remember the musicdatanumbers in the 3 channels. Useing b000 as you have written before is proberly not a good idea try b700 instead, there is music notes, but is that yours ?
2006-03-19 19:01
Steppe

There must be something wrong with the humorous part of your brain, I suggest you consult a doctor. Sorry for not holding up the irony sign in my last post, but if you insist:

#######
#     #
# ;-) #
#     #
#######
2006-03-19 19:43
THE TEA DRINKER

Quote: There must be something wrong with the humorous part of your brain, I suggest you consult a doctor. Sorry for not holding up the irony sign in my last post, but if you insist:

#######
#     #
# ;-) #
#     #
#######

Maybe i should go to a doctor since I try to help Sidder with an old tune. ;-)
But sorry for saying that your post is not helping solve the problem, but who cares, what do you think, Steppe ?

Have you some great ideas to try out while I'm visting the doctor, maybe he can help me with the bugs in this tune.
2006-03-19 21:43
Steppe

Hey, take it easy and shake that hand. \o_
It's appreciated that you're so motivated to help fix that tune, while I was just in this bored and ironic/sarcastic mood. I'm not really the greatest coder/fixer on earth, so I can't really contribute anything more useful to that topic. Good luck to those who keep on trying.
2006-03-19 23:16
THE TEA DRINKER

Steppe, I shake my hand but to say I'm not the greatest fixer/coder too. :)

Sidder if you want to try re-enter musicdatanumbers in TRK# (#is channels between 1-3) instead of number 7000, 7040, 7080 or 70c0. You could try the following numbers it looks like something for the tune: (number in a () is an alternative could work or crash it or make it sounds more wierd)
Numbers I think there is usefull for notes is these:

b380, b600, b640, b680 (b6a0), b6c0 (b6d0), b700, b740, b780, b840 (b858), b880 (b8b8), b900, b940, b980, b9c0, bac0, bb00, bb40 (bb50 or bb58), bb80 (bb90 or bb98), bbc0, bc00, bc40, bc80 (bc88), bcc0, bd00, bd40, bd80, bdc0 (bdb8), be00, be40, be80, bec0 (beb8).

For ADS/R or DIGI (last field - looks like it controls the speed of tune) try these numbers:

bf00, bf08, bf10, bf18*, bf20, bf28, bf30, bf38, bf40, bf48, bf50 (not sure about the last one, *is the default in that tune)

Sidder that's what I have figure out if that is possible to re-create the tune let me know if you want to re-type/re-enter the musicdatanotes, then good luck with it hope it can repair it.
It's the proberly last message for me since I'm running out of ideas for fixing this tune. The numbers after the 4 musicdatanotes I think these are fine enough the 2nd looks like transpote to another note use same musicdatablock and the last 2 is for the sounding (which instrument/ADSR stuff think) I also think that is fine enough.
2006-03-20 00:35
Sidder
Account closed

Quoting THE TEA DRINKER

I have seen this tune "badtune" working in soundmonitor v1.0 (after I transfer it from $1c00 to $80fe) but when you enter the fields in musicnumbers like 7000

Yes, I've noticed the same and I do not understand how it happens. But pattern
I've also tried this:

- loaded tune into $80fe
- saved only $b000 - $bfff (there should be notes)
- clean memory and load only $b000 - $b800 into new (clear) Soundmon tune. There is no more than trash, not any notes.

So you are probably right - notes are gone.

Quoting THE TEA DRINKER

Interesting I have until know just transfered from $1c00 to $66fd into $80ef, saved as small fixed version onto floppy then used soundmonitor v1.0 change 7000 to b700 at SP 00 set as first step and 01 pointer last step from 7000 which we allready know that $80ef was the lowest address and change it to b700 these b700 numbers is TRK# TR ST (the # indicate 1 to 3) the last field AR/S (this is a digi track on Rockmonitor 9) is changed from bf18 to bf00 which control I guess is the speed of song and now it's playing something, could you try it and see if that something you can remember from your song, Sidder ?

I'm not able to do that - editor crashes after I load tune.

Quoting THE TEA DRINKER

try b700 instead, there is music notes, but is that yours ?

OK, I'll check.

Quoting THE TEA DRINKER

Sidder that's what I have figure out if that is possible to re-create the tune

Thanks, I'll be fighting with this crap tune as long as it will kill me. ;)
2006-03-20 07:19
Yodelking

[Why didn't you just type that in the first place Yodelking]

Well, I did:
"I just added blanks at the start and fixed the loadadress of the tune"

I know I could write down every step I did on the way, but I skipped the obvious parts as I figured the one who manages to fix this one, knows what I did anyway.
2006-03-20 11:20
THE TEA DRINKER

Quote: Quoting THE TEA DRINKER

I have seen this tune "badtune" working in soundmonitor v1.0 (after I transfer it from $1c00 to $80fe) but when you enter the fields in musicnumbers like 7000

Yes, I've noticed the same and I do not understand how it happens. But pattern
I've also tried this:

- loaded tune into $80fe
- saved only $b000 - $bfff (there should be notes)
- clean memory and load only $b000 - $b800 into new (clear) Soundmon tune. There is no more than trash, not any notes.

So you are probably right - notes are gone.

Quoting THE TEA DRINKER

Interesting I have until know just transfered from $1c00 to $66fd into $80ef, saved as small fixed version onto floppy then used soundmonitor v1.0 change 7000 to b700 at SP 00 set as first step and 01 pointer last step from 7000 which we allready know that $80ef was the lowest address and change it to b700 these b700 numbers is TRK# TR ST (the # indicate 1 to 3) the last field AR/S (this is a digi track on Rockmonitor 9) is changed from bf18 to bf00 which control I guess is the speed of song and now it's playing something, could you try it and see if that something you can remember from your song, Sidder ?

I'm not able to do that - editor crashes after I load tune.

Quoting THE TEA DRINKER

try b700 instead, there is music notes, but is that yours ?

OK, I'll check.

Quoting THE TEA DRINKER

Sidder that's what I have figure out if that is possible to re-create the tune

Thanks, I'll be fighting with this crap tune as long as it will kill me. ;)

Yodelking, ok. I'm not the best fixer/coder, it's really my first try to fix a non working tune, so even that you write you add something I really like the details of it.

Sidder: Ok a little trick of get it to work again is load the soundmonitor while you have tune in $80ef to ($cd00) save that as full tune a small fixed one. ;)
If soundmonitor crashes you proberly know it begin in $1000 or just type sys4096 if it's still crashing then load soundmonitor into memory again that's the working trick I did, but ofcoz I use a real c64 with The Final Catridge III, not emulators.
The last thing I don't know is where it saves the instruments (the sounding/ADSR values) I think it's in area $a000-$afff, or could it be $8000-$9fff so I guess it therefor it still crashes if you don't have any numbers here, but this is just a guess.
If you think there is something in $b000-$bfff you can clean up, I think it also will crash. Like $b000-$b800 since I found something in $b380, $b600 just to name a few of them else I have writtten before where possible availble notes are look in other posts, Sidder.

BTW: Good Luck
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
MAT64
rexbeng
Kristian/SHAPE
algorithm
Scrap/Genesis Project