Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Sepa ! (Registered 2024-05-13) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > MY crazy idea..
2007-07-21 11:00
GremlinSA
Account closed

MY crazy idea..

I dunno if anyone has thought of this yet ??

But what about a rewrite of the C64's roms, so that instead of basic editor, you have a MC editor.. (yes there are plenty of apps to do that - LADS) but what about if you could switch on the c64 (or emulator) and be direct in a Assembler editor, that stores and saves files, entry and editing, etc, like basic but all coding in done direct in MC...

My personal 8bit MC skills are ave. or maybe low compared to others, but i know it can be done (and in less space than basic)

I have a world of ideas for the project and am acctually looking for someone with a simular idea to discuss this with...

Who's looking for a great chat...

Gremmy...
2007-07-21 11:20
Conrad

Well, usually the AR, RR and FC cartridges and Turbo Ass are provided for that sort of thing, but having this feature implemented in the actual ROM would be a nice idea, especially if you just want to code in assembly and that's it.

Writing the ROM for emulators would be no problem (yet slightly difficult if you mention your MC skills are average), but for physical ROM chips, that's will mean some DIY for the breadbox ;)

Keep in mind though that you'll need to keep some various routines like clearing the screen, moving the cursors etc, as I'd recall these are controlled somewhere in the BASIC ROM, which also means you'll need to keep the KERNAL ROM intact as well.

If you know what you're doing though, give the idea a try. Having you're own personal customized ROM would be a good idea as you will know all you're commands off by heart and won't have any trouble.
2007-07-21 11:28
Danzig

some books about c64 assembler coding have a "documented" dump of the kernal inside. give it a first shot to see what you can do about it... and just keep in mind to install kind of a switch so you can have the original romset and your customized... dont know if its possible to keep that externally connected like a cardridge but that might give a whole new experience... and maybe some charges to be build and sold like RR... in my broken sx64 i have something similar installed... though the idea is not that craze...
2007-07-21 11:44
Conrad

Speaking on this topic (since I'm new to this sort of thing too), the "basic" file stored in C64 folder of Vice - is that basically a memory dump of the Basic 2.0 ROM?
2007-07-21 11:49
Oswald

always quicksave state before you start your code from turbo ass under vice, then quickload to get back to edit mode. -> does the same, even better :)
2007-07-21 12:28
Danzig

@Oswald: Nah, don't kill his imagination :D
2007-07-21 12:32
Conrad

Quote: Speaking on this topic (since I'm new to this sort of thing too), the "basic" file stored in C64 folder of Vice - is that basically a memory dump of the Basic 2.0 ROM?

Ok, I just checked myself and it obviously is a memory dump.

So your best bet Gremlin, is to disassemble the ROM file ("basic") with any 6502 disassembler and then just have a look the code and understand where everything is. From that point, have a go modifying some code to what output you want, assemble it to $a000 and put it back in the Vice C64 dir. Don't forget to keep a back-up of the original of course ;)
2007-07-21 20:16
GremlinSA
Account closed

Disasembly of the rom may not be nessasary, i have a map of all the 'BASIC' commands and routines with there maped address, also a lot of them are vectored so if nessasary i can move things around a little...

Theres still a lot of initial planning needed before writing the first line of code. IE.. Tokens, storage method, 1 pass/ 2 pass assembly, additional comands needed, Illegal opcode support ??, etc..

I'm thinking of making it a direct compiler, ie. as you code it compiles and saves.. execution does not require any sort of assembly... No line numbers but support for markers.. so that something like..

LDA $D012
CMP #1
BEQ Skip
Skip:LDX #15
DEX

is easy to do, obviously these markers will be stored in a table.. memory at $C000 - $CFFF is a perfect place for this..

Some of the old basic commands will have to stay 'RUN, LOAD, SAVE, NEW' etc, with a little modification.. but stuff like "IF, THEN, GOTO, PRINT, PEEK, POKE' can be tossed out...

Also the Main loop ($A480 - $A532) will need to be completely re-written..

'LIST' will work like in basic but rather disassemble and display...

so much more to say, but that can wait till later...

Gremmy....
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Acidchild/Padua
Linus/MSL
zscs
Krill/Plush
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
Freeze/Blazon