Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Problems with Vice+ command playback
2008-11-23 13:18
Dragnet

Problems with Vice+ command playback

Hola!

This is a development question regarding Vice...

It is really tiresome to start up Vice, drag'n'drop a program to it, enter the monitor, then go the correct dir to load Vice label files, enter breakpoints, if any, and THEN start debugging.

So, I'm using Vice's playback option, storing the commands in a file, but I cannot seem to get it to load label files via commands. Anybody know how to solve this?

Here's what I do: the following command file, "foo.vice", is stored in the same directory as Vice+ is installed in, and all relevant files in C:\c64\foo:

cd \
cd c64
cd foo
load "foo.prg" 0

load_labels "foo.vs"
load_labels "foo1.vs"

Then, I start Vice+, enter Alt+M, and type:

pb "foo.vice"

- and everything works fine except the loading of the labels - I get no errors! I have also tried using ll instead, but same result...

Thanks & regards
Dragnet
2008-11-23 13:58
chatGPZ

<nojoopa> IIRC the label files are just "al" commands that are run through the same function as the command file is, which I guess is why it breaks. A solution is to include the labels in the command file itself.

it seems to be a bug :)
2008-11-23 16:01
Martin Piper

Yup, it is a bug and is one of the reasons I added automatic symbol loading from the prg filename. :)
2008-11-23 18:41
doynax
Account closed

Quote: Hola!

This is a development question regarding Vice...

It is really tiresome to start up Vice, drag'n'drop a program to it, enter the monitor, then go the correct dir to load Vice label files, enter breakpoints, if any, and THEN start debugging.

So, I'm using Vice's playback option, storing the commands in a file, but I cannot seem to get it to load label files via commands. Anybody know how to solve this?

Here's what I do: the following command file, "foo.vice", is stored in the same directory as Vice+ is installed in, and all relevant files in C:\c64\foo:

cd \
cd c64
cd foo
load "foo.prg" 0

load_labels "foo.vs"
load_labels "foo1.vs"

Then, I start Vice+, enter Alt+M, and type:

pb "foo.vice"

- and everything works fine except the loading of the labels - I get no errors! I have also tried using ll instead, but same result...

Thanks & regards
Dragnet

Personally I start VICE with the executable specified on the command line, along with the -moncommands flag to automatically load a label list (plus breakpoints and whatever else you feel like stuffing into it.)
This avoids the need for recursive command files, though you can always cobble them together manually with command line tools or macro processors if necessary, and seems to work nicely enough. That is assuming you've got a batch file or editor hot-key set up for building the program and starting things off anyway.

What really needs to be automated next in VICE is the recording of replays, thereby making virtually all bugs trivially reproducible.
2008-11-23 19:08
Dragnet

Hola & thanks for the replies!

For me, it is not really an option to put in the labels directly in the pb file, since the label file is generated by KickAssembler (well - could hack Slammer's code of cause, that's always fun - but better not...! :) )

Seems like Doynax's proposal with the -moncommands option is the way to go - will give it a go...

I'm really amazed on the fast response people get in these forums and on this site in general - had also forgotten how much fun the C64 is, but now it's all coming back... It's so much fun to be coding on the C64 again! :)

Cheers /Dragnet
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
icon/The Silents, Sp..
CA$H/TRiAD
A3/AFL
Unkle K/Reset Magazi..
Andy/AEG
Black Beard