Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Sound and music editor
2009-10-30 07:08
LHS

Sound and music editor

Hi,
does exist an editor or two "compatible" editors for creation (without player re-coding) sounds and music together (for a game)?

Sound Effects Editor (Sound Effects Editor) looks good, uses 1st and 2nd channel for sounds, but I don't know any music editor, which uses only third channel. Do you know a solution for this problem? Thanks.

... 1 post hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-10-30 09:14
SIDWAVE
Account closed

If you have 2 voice tune made in SDI 2.0 beta 7, and voice 3 is turned off - then you can use the other program you mentioned, to play sfx on voice 3 - while SDI is playing the music.
2009-10-30 09:38
LHS

Thanks for a tip, I will look at it. I have tried the Sound Effects Editor with Music Assembler, but the problem is the music player, when plays "silent" in 1 and 2 channel writes "0" into their registers.
My notion is playing (continual) music and some sfx for collisions.
2009-10-30 10:26
Linus

You might want to give Goattracker a try and check out Fortress of Narzod (2 voice ingame music, 1 voice fx, all done in goat)
2009-10-30 11:17
NecroPolo

+1 for both what Jan and Linus said.

Considering GMC, I'm a diehard fan and surely you can create some super-nasty FX with that - but I have to add that I have no any FX creation experience using GMC. The only game development project I was involved aaaaages ago did not include any FX so I have no the slightest idea of realization... :)

Goattracker 2.0 is a great option, too - and don't forget to check its "little brother" the 2.03 version of C64 native Ninja Tracker. It's kinda minimal but in the good way: codewise bulit like a tank, straight-to-the-point and super efficient. Among many well-thought features, it has one of the most effective sound player routines I've ever seen. Goat and Ninja are cross-compatible in a way. There are also utilities that transform Goat sounds to sound FX for Ninja and it has special music optimalization options, tuned for games. I'm also sure that their creator, Cadaver can answer your questions.

Good luck!

NP
2009-10-30 17:40
onebitman

didnt katakis/denaris have three channel music + some bits of the music disappearing when playing sfx? iirc autofire always sounded weird, as the bullet fx always was in pitch of the music.
2009-10-30 20:37
cadaver

Beware that with both Goattracker & Ninjatracker, what you get in the sound effect department is fixed ADSR, fixed pulsewidth, and then a wave/arpeggiotable. That has been enough for me, but I'm not very creative with sound effects..
2009-10-30 21:38
tlr

Quote: didnt katakis/denaris have three channel music + some bits of the music disappearing when playing sfx? iirc autofire always sounded weird, as the bullet fx always was in pitch of the music.

Many Hubbard songs works like this.
Crazy Comets, Commando, etc...
Human race is two channel though.
2009-10-31 02:16
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: Thanks for a tip, I will look at it. I have tried the Sound Effects Editor with Music Assembler, but the problem is the music player, when plays "silent" in 1 and 2 channel writes "0" into their registers.
My notion is playing (continual) music and some sfx for collisions.

remove all the pokes to the sid voice you want to use in the sfx player, then you can attach another routine that uses the other 2 voices.

the d4xx adresses to nop out are in the programmers reference manual.
2009-10-31 07:37
LHS

Quote: remove all the pokes to the sid voice you want to use in the sfx player, then you can attach another routine that uses the other 2 voices.

the d4xx adresses to nop out are in the programmers reference manual.

Yes... I know, but... my first wish was "without player re-coding" ;-)
2010-01-10 18:01
Wisdom

Quote: didnt katakis/denaris have three channel music + some bits of the music disappearing when playing sfx? iirc autofire always sounded weird, as the bullet fx always was in pitch of the music.

As far as I remember Katakis has two voices of music with one voice left for sound effects. That weird sound which seems to be in sync with the pitch of the music is, well, indeed due to the synchronization bit of the corresponding SID voice set. :-) And actually I think it is very cool and one of the things that makes Katakis to have such different atmosphere.

PS. Pardon me for awakening a dead thread, but just could not resist to talk about this. :-)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
csabanw
algorithm
zscs
taper/ΤRIΛD
bugjam