Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Looking for 64 bit version of ACME
2010-02-03 10:35
Majikeyric

Looking for 64 bit version of ACME

Hello all,
Did someone compile a x64 version of the ACME cross-assembler compatible for windows seven ?
Many thanks

Bye

Majikeyric

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-02-07 12:07
chatGPZ

its also beeing used for the Retro Replay ROM :)
2010-02-07 13:08
Ninja

To be very precise, it was originally developed for the Retro Replay ROM :) The other assemblers couldn't cope with the required bank-switching. (Now, this would make a nice trivia entry...)
2010-02-07 19:28
Majikeyric

Many thanks everybody.
First I was believing that I was already using the Win32 version which crashed under Seven.
But I was using the DOS one \0/
The Win32 .exe works fine.
Many thanks Martin for your link to this improved version ;-)
2010-02-07 23:05
Count Zero

Quote: Those looking for new assemblers might also have a peek at DreamAss. No, I won't do marketing and exploit that it was largely used for Edge of Disgrace. Oops, too late... ;)

I 2nd this attention whoring! :)

Not to make up a flame war on which assembler to use but rather to check all options for given projects.
Unfortunately there is no place dedicated to comparison of features and limitations. One of the better starting points would be http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=links:start currently I suppose.

l8r
Count Zero/CyberpunX/SCS*TRC
2010-02-10 04:49
Martin Piper

Quote: To be very precise, it was originally developed for the Retro Replay ROM :) The other assemblers couldn't cope with the required bank-switching. (Now, this would make a nice trivia entry...)

What exactly do you mean?
I can produce CRT files with bank-switching in ACME.
2010-02-10 09:25
Frantic

I think he refers to the following dreamass function:

.banknumbyte (labelpointingtomysubroutine)

This can be used to automatically produce jumptables that keeps track of which bank a certain routine resides in. It is also possible to redefine labels, which is handy if you want to include the same bankswitching code file in each ROM-bank, using the same labels (that should be accessible in the global scope). Redefining labels is possible in ACME too, though, if I remember correctly and I guess you may be able to "emulate" the "banknumbyte" thing too, somehow. Apart from these things I am not sure what exactly makes dreamass more suitable for generation of banked code.
2010-02-10 12:23
doynax
Account closed

Quoting Frantic
I think he refers to the following dreamass function:

.banknumbyte (labelpointingtomysubroutine)

This can be used to automatically produce jumptables that keeps track of which bank a certain routine resides in. It is also possible to redefine labels, which is handy if you want to include the same bankswitching code file in each ROM-bank, using the same labels (that should be accessible in the global scope). Redefining labels is possible in ACME too, though, if I remember correctly and I guess you may be able to "emulate" the "banknumbyte" thing too, somehow. Apart from these things I am not sure what exactly makes dreamass more suitable for generation of banked code.
ACME can do both of those things. The unary ^ operator is used to get the bank byte. However I would probably avoid redefining jump tables entries in multiple banks and simply set them to their 16-bit mapping address instead.

ACME can't produce ROMs larger than 64 kB however but I suspect that limitation would be simple enough to remove. I've never tried to use banking myself so there might well be other complications.

2010-02-10 12:38
chatGPZ

acme (and any other assembler i have tried) is very simple compared to dreamass when it comes to banked code ... for example dreamass can take your functions and arrange them in several banks for best fit.
2010-02-10 14:11
Frantic

@Groepaz: When I asked Doc Bacardi a few months ago about such automatic distribution of code to various banks in dreamass he replied:

"This feature is not finished yet, sorry! And I don't know when I will find the motivation to do it. :)"

So... :)

@Doynax: What do you mean with "16bit mapping adress"?
2010-02-10 18:20
doynax
Account closed

Quoting Frantic
What do you mean with "16bit mapping adress"?
Err.. I had a bit of trouble finding an appropriate term.

What I meant was simply that the shared code must be placed at the same address within each bank for the fall-through to work properly anyway. So why not place them within an effective address block at the location within the 6502's address space at which the blocks will be is mapped in?

;Replicated bank-switching code
  !pseudopc (* & $FFFF) {
switch:
  }

As a bonus ACME will then verify that the "switch" label, and any other global labels within the block, truly are placed at a common address.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
Acidchild/Padua
Guests online: 104
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)