Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #88319 : Robin of the Wood
2010-02-15 13:35
Count Zero

Release id #88319 : Robin of the Wood

REQUEST DELETION.

1 Block Basic Loaders represent no release. Original ABC release untouched - no re-crack - double upload - local lamer print line additions to show they owned a c64. What else you need?

l8r
Count Zero/CyberpunX/SCS*TRC

... 34 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-02-18 16:43
chatGPZ

Quote:
However, I find it sad that an individual who has added only two items to the entirety of the CSDb has more authority than those of us who have stored these releases for 20+ years on floppy media, transferred the releases over to the PC, read endless stretches of scroll text, and categorised and chronicled them for the Db (which includes adding groups, sceners, the release entry, the D64 image, a screen shot, BBSes, etc etc.

a) the number of uploads someone did is completely irrelevant when it comes to this kind of discussion (infact, its pretty much irrelevant for pretty much every discussion =P)
b) he doesnt have more authority than anyone else.
c) you have no idea at all what kind of things he has done in the past to support the scene, how much stuff he transfered and uploaded (do i have to mention TDD?) and how much time he spents in various projects just right now. and because of that - read a)
2010-02-18 17:25
Jon
Account closed

Groepaz, I never wanted to turn the topic into a discussion about Count Zero. I know that customs and conversational conventions between Europeans and Americans are very, very different. He and I were also a part of a very, very different Commodore 64 scene. The memes and norms of the North American pre-1990 scene is vastly different from the memes and norms of the post-1990 Euro scene. That said, I hold nothing against Count Zero in the least and I recognize his efforts post 1992. I hold nothing but respect for him.

However, I would appreciate a little more arbitration and restraint, especially when an issue like this one arises. I find it a little distasteful for someone to act unilaterally and delete an entry that is not theirs, especially when there is an active discussion about said release.

Having that release on the database harmed no one while its existence was discussed. If the powers that be (or a simple consensus) decided that the release needed to go, I would not have had an issue with it.

J

2010-02-18 17:31
chatGPZ

Quote:
The memes and norms of the North American pre-1990 scene is vastly different from the memes and norms of the post-1990 Euro scene.

there was a scene after 1989 ? wow. =P
2010-02-18 17:31
tnu
Account closed

Quote:
a) the number of uploads someone did is completely irrelevant when it comes to this kind of discussion (infact, its pretty much irrelevant for pretty much every discussion =P)

....risking to be mocked and spitted at i say that is a strange view in this issue..this is afterall a database and i see it more important ppl uploading stuff here than posting 4376 times in the forum.....ok...start the flaming now........

Quote:
b) he doesnt have more authority than anyone else.

.....that sounds nice but i guess pals from the past have more to say than any newcomer..in general that is.....

Quote:
c) you have no idea at all what kind of things he has done in the past to support the scene, how much stuff he transfered and uploaded (do i have to mention TDD?) and how much time he spents in various projects just right now. and because of that - read a)

.....that maybe so...and sure he should be cherished for this...but it is this database we are focusing at....what is uploaded on other sites or databases is not intresting....in this matter may i add.....
2010-02-18 17:58
Count Zero

Sigh - "THIS DATABASE" --- which stupid taught you to see databases as garbage dumps?

Any database is only as good as the entries you do. NONE of the MANY uploads I recently checked seems to use the full potential csdb offers for entries. Add scrollers, more than one screenshot, trivia texts, goofs and link up the fuxxored "sentinel docs" and other related things - then we talk again.

There is not even a point in discussing any further with the barriers in your head telling you to protect your uploads instead of improving the record or not saving it in the first place. It's not a race for top uploader here.

There is no excuse for my ONLY two uploads indeed - hm - wait a minute - oh, there is a small one: I am postprecessing ALL uploads here through pokefinder.org.
Not the right place to point out the complete postprocess chain but be assured that some stupid real writer "note to richard" is as useless as an addition as a basic loader for a renamed crack.

l8r

PS: If you want polite talk and smooth explanations - why speak HERE?
2010-02-18 20:00
Jon
Account closed

Count Zero- Would you prefer that we phone you?

I update and change entries to reflect accuracy all of the time. Just recently I found one of my old phreaking notebooks and I updated many entries from what I found there. I enjoy spending a lazy afternoon reading through old scrolltexts and writing down names, dates and addresses in order to help build a more accurate database. These "Notes to Richard" and Future Writer notes help in that endeavor, despite your insistence that this is "garbage".

This is of no consequence, however. I do so not for kudos or accolades. I simply enjoy revisiting my past and piecing together the missing chunks.

In addition, I didn't ask you to "excuse" you entries. I was simply pointing out that your contributions to the database, if looked at mathematically, may eventually constitute a net loss.

Furthermore, I tire of your anger and hostility as I find it corrosive to rational discourse. Please take a deep breath before you post. I left name calling and rage fifteen years behind me and am happier for it. I encourage you to do the same.

Thanks.

J

PS @ cc85- Groepaz is a very fair mod. Don't get too worked up about this, it'll all be sorted eventually. Just keep doing what you're doing. :)

@ Groepaz- Supposedly there was! It died for me in June of 1989 after five glorious years. :)
2010-02-18 20:32
chatGPZ

Quote:
i see it more important ppl uploading stuff here than posting 4376 times in the forum

that doesnt change the fact that the number of uploads someone did is irrelevant for the matter discussed here.

Quote:
i guess pals from the past have more to say than any newcomer..in general that is.

in general, authority is a direct result of your actions. there is this guy "r242" for example, which i have never talked to and i dont even know who he is. there never was a single occurance of questioning any of his (MANY!) additions and/or actions (not that i can remember anyway), and thats how you become an authority on a certain subject.

Quote:
what is uploaded on other sites or databases is not intresting....in this matter may i add.

i think you have little understanding on what happens behind the scenes. TDD, the demo archive of acidchild and the crack archive from mason for example are all very well "interisting" in this matter, because a whole lot of stuff comes from these (and is beeing added by various people all the time, NOT by acidchild or mason if i may add that). i have helped with finding and/or fixing various releases myself that ended up in those and were then added to csdb by someone else later. all this is equally important as the act of adding stuff here alone. maybe even more important, as those collections serve as a foundation to be able to even add stuff in a proper way.

2010-02-18 21:33
Count Zero

Applause @ groepaz. Esp. the last part I didnt want to initially fully point out since the discussion is outraging the topic already anyhow - but very well spoken.

As for the importance of "note to richie" to recent research of Ninjabane - that still doesn't make up a valid reason to call any bit a "release".

In aggressive mood I might add: my ass releases a lot as well but I don't upload all of it. :)

l8r

PS: (Damn - must be PS day) -- Call me any time! I love to humiliate people over the phone for no obvious reason.
2010-02-18 21:43
Jon
Account closed

No, you may not upload it. You post it on this forum instead. :D

J
2010-02-19 07:02
tnu
Account closed

Quote:
PS: If you want polite talk and smooth explanations - why speak HERE?

...who wants that i wonder..
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
The Human Co../Maste..
Youth
DeMOSic/HF^MS^BCC^LSD
Guests online: 97
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)