Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > This is the Thread for everything NUFLI!
2009-07-19 23:30
DeeKay

This is the Thread for everything NUFLI!

The Era of NUFLI has begun - Bye Bye Interlace!

So what do you guys think? 8)

btw. Until Bitbreaker decides the converter is fit for release, you may send me your pictures and I'll put them through it. No, I won't fix the bugs for you (been doing that for over a hundred hours in the recent months! <:-), you gotta learn your way around the editor eventually if you want that extra edge of perfection - But I will offer some advice on different approaches how to combat teh blockiness or teh color lack, i even prepared some tutorials I will post here later! ;-)

Please do keep in mind that even in NUFLI, you still only have 3 colors horizontally in every char -with one fixed for 6 chars- (5 or 6 in the FLIbug, but that's for all 3 chars!). Considering that IFLI has a maximum of 6 colors in one char, it's quite surprising the pictures in the Slideshow come over so well, but apparently most people don't use IFLIs capabilities to the full extent - and then there's the horizontal PAL colorblur, which means many different colors don't actually make so much sense after all, since you can't distinguish all the colors so well anyway!

... 160 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-07-23 20:31
Cruzer

Those MUCSU pics look quite awesome. Doesn't this mode require other CPU time than setting up the sprites? I.e. no color updates? Then it definitely has some potential for logos etc. in demos.
2009-07-23 20:46
algorithm

Quote: Those MUCSU pics look quite awesome. Doesn't this mode require other CPU time than setting up the sprites? I.e. no color updates? Then it definitely has some potential for logos etc. in demos.

That was the whole point of the mode initially. not as a high quality gfx mode but for my video routine but results look rather nice

Only multiplexing the sprites are required per 21 lines nothing else. no color splits etc
2009-09-29 17:14
Lubber

did i miss something or is the nufli converter still not being released yet?
2009-10-02 15:38
DeeKay

You didn't miss anything. Just yesterday Xbow and Bitbreaker finally worked out the MUIFLI conversion bugs that we found in Beta-Testing! ;-)
Now some more work on the GUI and we're done...
2009-10-02 22:33
LOGAN
Account closed

That's great news Decay. Don't get me wrong or anything, but 'recent' innovations nowadays seem to need 1 year or more to be presented to the public. In case of NUFLI its almost 2 years?

I really love to see more of those old images converted to NUFLI and I hope the next slide show will be released before the year is over. This will (hopefully) be the standard format for compo images and who knows it might turn up on other places as well like demo's.

Keep'em coming!
2009-10-07 19:32
Wile Coyote

Been tempted to create a NUFLI image. As yet I'm lost for ideas. Hmmm..
2009-11-03 18:39
Wile Coyote

Hmmm..
Settled on an idea *normality meets out of place scary monster*
Here’s goes.. time to test out NUFLI :D
2009-11-03 20:06
Wile Coyote

The editor feels weird to use :)
From what I can tell, the limits are: any 3 colours per 8x2 area.

Stabbing away at F1 - F8 for the various combos..
..along with the A-P, A-P + Shift+, A-P + C=+ to select colours would take a lot of getting used to.

-

The colour selection process could have been made much simpler:
Move to desired 8x2 screen area
Keys 1 - 8, Q - I to select a colour

place pixel :D

2009-11-13 19:53
Wile Coyote

I give up / I gave up.. :/

I’d be amazed to see an image created using the NUFLI editor.
Sure Crest Slide Story showed what the editor can display.
Using the editor causes massive brain ache.

The main editor, feels like a puzzle, with the constant options of switching between, paper, ink, sprite, turning pixels on and off. The FLI element, doesn’t feel very FLI. It felt more like a hires bitmap editor with 8x4 chars, with the bonus of being able to use sprites, with the limitations of, the sprite colour spans 6 characters.

The other editor, that allows for the 1st 3 character columns to be accessed, felt like a whole new puzzle.

The good news is:
*normality meets out of place scary monster*
..is almost complete, and makes using of multi colour bitmap 8)

2009-11-13 20:23
Deev

isn't this the point of the conversion tool? :)

I think everyone knows it's no fun to pixel in NUFLI, which is why no-one's been doing it all this time (the MUFLI editor must be about 2-3 years old now?). What's new is that now you can freely pixel in your preferred PC tool at C64 res and in the c64's palette and then use the tool to convert your work into NUFLI. You then just need to use the NUFLI editor to fix the errors, which is still a little time consuming, but is nowhere near as difficult as pixelling the whole thing from scratch.

without this tool I would've just seen NUFLI as another new graphics mode that hardly anyone would use.
Previous - 1 | ... | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
krissz
iceout/Avatar/HF
TheEnemy/TREX/THD
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..