Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Do you compose with midi or trackers ?
2013-12-07 20:31
mstram
Account closed

Do you compose with midi or trackers ?

Just wondering what the workflow is for the musicians here now and in the "old" days ?

Are you composing with a midi keyboard / software, then converting to a tracker / utility to create SID "instruments"?

If so, what conversion tool(s) are you using?

Or are you composing directly in tracker / other software .. i.e. not "playing it in realtime" ?

Mike

... 51 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-12-09 13:14
GH

Nice to get a better insight into peoples workflow :D

Long, long ago in a Galaxy...I Started out with Logic 3.0 Audio till 5.5 (last PC version at that time) and soon I got into Steinberg related products such as Cubase and Nuendo. Also used FL Studio, Renoise and Reason back than.
Recently I started working with Reaper since Bas Bron (Thanks for convincing me since I was too much or better again, totally Nuendo minded:)) told me you get can get very good and quick results in userfriendly environment on the spot. I will drink more "Cockos" nuts from now on :D

Personally I try to take one musical idea, like one main lead melody, one rhythmic phrase, or just one "feel", and devolop that into a song.
Sometimes I start with the bass first where the little orchestra in my head mirrors it or decides what accompaniment/chords progression goes where.
Jeff Lorber fan ;)

I didn't know about the xm/mid 3tracks SW converter and will def. try it out since I often play the solos in/edit in matrix or quantize them. So I don't have to type in all the note for note lead and bass manually. It's still lotsa work, I know but in some song structures(less is sometimes more less but a good lesson;)) it can really be helpfully I think. So an extra cheers to Hermit!!

Now let's all release some more sids in 2015... ;)
2014-12-10 11:20
SIDWAVE
Account closed

first making midi tune, and then convert + a bunch of manual work to make sounds, isnt worth it.

tune straight from head or parts rehearsed on piano first, is the fastest way. music must come from inside, not tedious editing.

the guy who started this thread, is just one of many, who wish for a quick fix to make sids, but has no knowledge, and is seeking the magical midi converter. to those guys: forget it! :)

always these questions like: "what editor/daw do you use ?" - people ask them, thinking they can reach your level of production, if they just use the same program as you do.

well, you cant :)
2014-12-10 11:21
SIDWAVE
Account closed

production skill/workflow, come from doing it over and over. far too many have been asking for the great editor, and when they get it, no tunes are made, coz the first is already stopping them dead in their tracks, coz its too hard. there is only 1 way, the hard way :)
2014-12-10 11:24
SIDWAVE
Account closed

its too hard for me to hack around with hubbard routine, i tried, and failed. it was my first dream.. it never happened. instead i made my own first tunes in a mediocre editor called music master by chris hulsbeck. for the time, 1987+ it was awesome. it was the first public domain tracker! before "soundmonitor" came, only elite like Red, MON, Yip, BOGG, etc - (sceners) did convincing music.
2014-12-10 11:26
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Soundmonitor excells at one point: it has quantized record!
Without any musical skill at all, i played in live those leads in the old tunes. never edited a byte, just rehearsed first, then press F7 to record, done!
2014-12-10 22:26
Soren

When I used to compose, I actually only used a jews harp with midi...
2014-12-11 00:28
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Buy this Soren, then you can make all the tunes by banging a single drum!

http://www.korg.com/us/products/drums/wavedrum_global_edition/
2014-12-11 04:11
Soren

Sidwave: why would I want to do that? :)
2014-12-11 16:04
T.M.R
Account closed

i've tried doing conversions by going MIDI to (i think, it was a few years back now) Screamtracker, hacking it down to three channels in a four channel MOD file with MODPlug Tracker and then pushing the result through Goat's MOD converter...

My results were, well lets call them "interesting" for want of a less harsh word but it's at least possible to use the process in order to get a stream of notes over that someone with actual musical talent could try tidying up to get something decent going... =-)
2014-12-11 16:23
jailbird

You are all lame! I compose with
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
wil
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
AMB/Level 64
Apollyon/ALD
zscs