Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > New SID frontend released !!
2007-01-09 19:39
Madman

New SID frontend released !!

Hello fellow C64 freaks!

I just wanted to let you know that there is a new SID frontend available to the public now. It has features no other SID tool offers since today:

* Support Sidplay2/w for playback
* Support TinySID for playback
* Easy access to the entire High Voltage Sid Collection
* Easy single-click interface
* Songlength database support
* Continuous play to discover SIDs unknown to you
* Playlist support with ability to add certain subsongs
* Experimental sid2midi support (sid2midi.exe not included)
* Built in search function
* Build on .NET framework 2.0 (required)

Steppe from HVSC suggested i shall promote it here. So did i. Hope you like it.

http://sidtool.drool.de/

Regards,
Madman

... 34 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-01-24 08:09
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Bug: when i (simple) search for "rambones", it goes to /musicians/w/ and shows only this one path.

To get back to top level, i have then to search for "" (nothing).

Strange.

Bug: if touching anything while its generating search index, it hangs.

Unknown..: in my dir /musicians/r/rambones/ the top 4 files are the newest, but the list is not alphasorted. is it sorted on date ?

Bug: shows STIL entries 3 times after another..
Bug: does not show global STIL comment!

Bug: sometimes, when clicking a tune in the "advanced search window", the STIL for that tune does not show!

No possibility to resize the STIL view ?

BUG; sometimes, a tune is started 2 times! so you have 2 copies of the tune playing! only seen this with vice..

After all this, still a nice proggy!
I love the sound quality of VICE :) compared to..
2007-01-24 19:38
Madman

-I allready added global STIL support. (Not released yet tho)
-No way for me to alter ordering of sidlist afaik.
-3 times the same still info ? Nobody noted that before...
-Building SearchDB is hella slow since 46. But its not a primary task, as you only do that once per HVSC update usually. It most likely doesnt even hang, its still building searchDB.txt. check filesize in explorer.
The rest:
i will look into those.

But i will slow things a bit now. I dont know why, but the more features i add, the more people complain about the sidplayer not stopping properly. I will have to do some code cleanup now and check this bug at first.
Also im a little bit tired of that tool right now, as i work on it like a month now on a daily base. I may take a day off or two, sometimes ideas appear from the distance, or things you didnt notice a while point out on a kinda fresh approach.

Yet your reports will not vanish unheard :)

2007-01-25 23:52
tora
Account closed

Resting is good! :)

There's no point on getting exhausted, this is something you should enjoy, not suffer ;D

So take your time and work on it when you feel like it!
2007-01-29 15:26
Madman

Well, the rest is somewhat over, 0.9.6 is out.
2007-01-29 20:27
Madman

And another update: Thanks to Peter Sanden, who helped me track down and finally eleminate a bug, which did not stop a SID after you doubleclicked on a Sid in the SIDlist, 0.9.6.1 is out. Only 1 major bug left to 1.0 :)
2007-02-08 10:42
Madman

'lo!

Since no more bugs were reported: 1.0 RC1 out.

2007-02-16 14:04
Madman

Well, i made a fast and quick port of SIDtool so it can play Amiga .MODs and .XMs and .FTs
Maybe not the right place to post on a C64 site, but i thought someone might be interested.
2007-06-22 13:36
Domey
Account closed

Apparently the homepage is hacked at the moment.. :(
2007-06-22 17:27
Jakuchu
Account closed

Quote: Man, that's really a great idea. I'd second that!
Ian Coog is kinda right, the Sidtool basically is a souped up frontend for Sidplay2/w, with presently not enough features to really stick out from the crowd of sidtools, i.e. it can't do much more than what other external programs already offer at this time (Sidbace, Sidbrowser, SidDB).

What I really like is the seamless songlength integration with the ability to just start continuous play in any directory (ah, let's see what this Fanta guy has to offer apart from his usual smash hits... ;-) ) and just let it doodle in the background.

The playlist feature is very intuitive to use, despite using a proprietary format.

Now with added search functionality (which, by all means, should be extended to search for AUTHOR or RELEASED field) and probably wider support of all kinds of players we're really getting somewhere. Keep it up, Madman!

I'm only asking for one thing: Don't make it too bloated and complex, adding things here and there, patchwork style (IIRC Sidbrowser heavily suffered from this). I really like the "lightweight" and cleaned up feeling of this program and would appreciate if it stayed like that. ;-)

Sums it up pretty well, I like the continuous-feature which lets me just run the frontend in the background and do the work for me.
2007-06-29 19:31
Madman

Quote: Apparently the homepage is hacked at the moment.. :(

Yeah, it indeed is.
I dont feel like wasting my time with hosting the tool when there are evil people out there :)
Honestly, i dont have the time for such updates. Besides that i get a shitload of spam at the domain, and besides the Sidtool site i dont have any webpages online any more anyway.
So i will cancel my webhosting contract, save the money and spam, and upload the tool to csdb. I also sent the sourcecode to some guy at a german C64 forum, so it wont get lost.

Edit: Cant upload it, filesize exceeds limit
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fulgore/Excess
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Clayboy
LHS/Padua
Acidchild/Padua
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..