Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Nicron ! (Registered 2024-05-21) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > separating credits for notes
2008-01-12 16:57
assiduous
Account closed

separating credits for notes

i think it might be a good idea to specify whether a person is credited for the production itself or for its note. the way we have it now the credits mix coders of a demo with a coder of the noter tool employed to write the note to the demo.

would be nice to have a sid from the note separated from the others aswell.

opinions please
2008-01-12 17:27
chatGPZ

kinda hard to do with the current database structure... unless you enter notes as seperate releases, which is a really bad idea, IMHO.

and actually, putting the credits for someone who wrote a notemaker which is used for writing a note for a certain production into the entry of the production itself is WRONG. just like crack-intro credits dont belong into the entry of a crack.

if you want to credit someone for a notemaker, make a seperate entry for the notemaker - not the actual note. that should already do the trick for most notes, leaving only these which have been custom coded for a certain demo. and in that case, the credits can be mixed with the demo credits, as they belong together anyway, IMHO.

i cant really see the exact problem to be honest :)
2008-01-12 17:42
assiduous
Account closed

now what about the sid files. if they aren't written exclusively for a note should they be linked or not? should the author of the sid file be credited ? its often hard to find out if its exclusive or not.
2008-01-12 17:48
chatGPZ

you can be almost certain that if the note has been made using a notemaker, then its not an exclusive tune. (on the other hand, if its a custom coded note, often the tune is also exclusive). that said, sid files should only be linked if they belong to the actual production, imho. (and they should certainly not be linked in a notemaker entry, but i guess thats obvious)
2008-01-12 18:03
assiduous
Account closed

Quote:
you can be almost certain that if the note has been made using a notemaker, then its not an exclusive tune. (on the other hand, if its a custom coded note, often the tune is also exclusive).

wrong,most notemaker tools I know of enable to use another $1000 located tune and people made use of that feature.

i have seen quite a few entries in the db where for instance a Commando tune (or some other well known one ) was used in the note and the sid was linked. I think that such information should be preserved but a clear separation should be made, thats why i proposed a "note" tickbox. the php script fetching sid files paths would check if the tickbox was selected and append a "(NOTE)" after the path.
2008-01-12 18:12
chatGPZ

Quote:

wrong,most notemaker tools I know of enable to use another $1000 located tune and people made use of that feature.

yes ofcourse. but people most of the time simply used "some tune". not one exclusivly made for the note.

Quote:

i have seen quite a few entries in the db where for instance a Commando tune (or some other well known one ) was used in the note and the sid was linked. I think that such information should be preserved but a clear separation should be made,

i'm not sure if that kind of info really has any value *shrug*
2008-01-13 15:25
Tim
Account closed

Well, one the one hand it would be nice for the more unknown sidders to see where their sids were used, and on the other hand it would create thousands of entries for certain composers.

I do support the idea, it actually is how i found out two of my tunes were used in a demo i never saw before finding it on csdb (and having released only a handfull of sids I was extremely happy to see those).

On the other hand, uploading and crediting is tiresome enough as it is to be honnest and I don't really feel like triple-checking myself.. however if someone else wants to run through the database and add these info's I guess I can only see it as possitive.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
TheRyk/MYD!
psych
Alakran_64
megasoftargentina
iAN CooG/HVSC
Nicron