Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Self-voting
2003-07-20 09:22
TDJ

Self-voting

Hello, I'm TDJ, and I'm a self-voter. I gave 'Timewaster' and 8, and appearantly somebody (Shake) thought this was strange, so allow me to explain myself.

I've been rating demos since forever, and for a new project/website I'm going to do I'll be doing this a lot more. Some of these demos have been made by me or a group I've been in. For me that's no problem: I feel I can be objective enough to do so. And most of the time I'll even be more negative to a certain production than outsiders, because I know the difference between what was & what could have been.

Now when it comes to Timewaster, I gave it an '8' because it's truly an original piece, not because I wanted it to be higher in the charts here. So should I retract that vote because of 'political correctness'?

So what's your opinion about self-voting? Speak ..

2003-07-20 10:03
hollowman

in this case i dont see any problem, since i believe timewaster deserves an 8 or more.
if i voted for my own demos i probably wouldnt give
them a high rating anyway since i usually feel that my latest demo is ok, and that the older ones suck.
and if all people are fair and honest when they vote
it would be interesting to see how happy they are
with their own demos
2003-07-20 10:23
TDJ

Well, I can give you a list of the ratings I gave the Focus demos (not all in csdb but from my own database):

(from old to new:)
Dutch Power=6, Spiritual=5, On Our Own=6, Untouchable=7, Too Wicked=6, Revenge=6, Visual Delight=8, Dutch Gold=6, Inner Satisfaction=5, Untouchable 2=5, Get A Life=4, Beyond Reality=6, Doolittle=6, No.13 Baby=5, On Our Own=7, Year Of The Ankh=6, Visual Delight 2=9, Yesterdays=4, Dark Tales=6, Rewinder X=7, Timewaster=8

As you can see I think most of the Focus demos are of average quality. There was a time I thought differently, however in retrospect a lot of stuff we did was "same ol', same ol'", too easy: we should have tried harder. Especially with the talent we had in our group.

Now don't go start asking me about my WWE demos because there the highest rating I would give for my own work is a 6, and I wouldn't even feel comfortable about it ;)
2003-07-20 11:58
blackdroid
Account closed

Interesting.. I would like to get my hands on that second On Our Own :)

And for the record Ive voted for some WD stuff aswell, albeit releases that Ive had no influence over at all.
like Mobile art, Aqua, A quoi ca sert etc.

I think its ok to do "self voting", sure it would be all dandy if the person was objective etc etc, not everyone is, anyway in the end given enough votes one or some self votes wont matter.
2003-07-20 12:01
TDJ

Ehm, that second 'on our own' is also known as 'not worthy' :)

That's what you get when you drive from Spain to Holland non-stop and only sleep a few hours after that before diving back into the internet world again :)
2003-07-20 13:28
Graham
Account closed

where's the problem with self-voting anyway? for example, if i'm on a party and i'm not allowed to vote for myself, i don't vote at all because otherwise my entry would have a disadvantage towards the other entries.
2003-07-20 13:38
blackdroid
Account closed

Again politics vs math round 123456789 ;)
2003-07-20 16:08
Puterman
Account closed

I never vote for my own stuff, because I'm absolutely sure that the hours/days/weeks/months spent working on a product influence my perception of its qualities.

What the rest of you do is up to you, of course, unless you're voting for your own products to influence the charts, which would be kind of pathetic.
2003-07-20 19:02
blackdroid
Account closed

Im getting too old to remember how much time was spent on Weekend, Stupidity 1,2 and other demos :), 10-11 years ago man, shit I cant even understand I did all those logos.
2003-07-20 19:12
Puterman
Account closed

Neither can we, so I guess we'll either have to turn to science or religion to find the answer.
2003-07-20 21:47
blackdroid
Account closed

or the Scientology church.. Ive heard they actually succeded in ANDing the two topics.
2003-07-21 11:58
yago

I am also a big self-voter!
I think, spending so much Time on a Production, does
give me the Right to give a Vote for it.
For sure it is subjective, but so is every vote.

I don't think the Problem is voting for your own Productions,
but that not enough People are voting..

Have Fun!
2003-07-21 16:03
Testicle
Account closed

beside the fact that votes or vote-statistics will never be "objective" and thus never will show fair results in the statistics, i think the sense of "voting" is to see, what _others_ think about an _own product_.

i know what i think of my production, but what do other people think about it? to get at least a little insight into other people's opinion, i'd say it makes sense not to vote for oneself, as this might bias the statistics.

however, as statistics always have several biases, it doesn't really matter if someone votes for him-/herself.
2003-07-21 19:23
Mirage

Exactly how many split personalities do you have, tdj?

And are they all as objective as the one who started this topic? ;)
2003-07-21 20:22
TDJ

There's a difference between 'objective' and 'objective enough'. And my split personalities only take over if I forget to take my medicine. Which reminds us ..
2003-07-22 08:33
Derision

As a general rule, I don't vote for myself or my productions. Not because I think there's anything specifically wrong with it... if you want to vote for your own demo, knock your socks off. I don't do it because my opinions on things I've done (and of myself) change at practically random intervals. There are times I'm particularly fond of a logo or something I coded, and then a week later I think it's the ugliest thing my brain ever spewed out. Changing my vote that often would be a major expense of effort, and that is far more effort than I've got.

That said... I did give myself a "1" a few months back, though I've deleted those votes because my opinion changed (and CSDb doesn't offer negative numbers). Bottom line... er... I don't think it matters if someone votes for their own crap. It's all relative, y'know?
2003-07-22 09:41
Shake

Hello TDJ, thumbs up you came to this meeting, it's the first step. -klap-klap ;)

Your vote was no mistake, so the comment is misplaced. Thanks for explaining your motives.

So continue. Although in my personal view I prefer placing comments/opinion to your -own- the release, it's more interesting than a number and doesn't have any influence the average. But that counts for all votes doesn't it ;))
2003-08-06 13:37
Cruzer

I'm also a big time self voter. I mean, why not? Lots of ppl prolly do it, they just don't make their votings public (I guess, but I can't know ofcuz since they're not public.)

If it wasn't allowed, the brilliant CSDB coders could just make a function that made it impossible to vote for yourself or productions where you were credited.
2003-08-06 17:23
Slator

I don't see any point in selfvoting. If you love yourself, play with yourself but not vote :-D

2003-08-06 18:30
Optimus

There are sometimes people who have submitted few work for a production, without belonging in the main group who did this (freelancing). Should they vote or not?

Anyways, I personally haven't ever voted for my own stuff (in pouet), all of them were truly my own things, that's why I didn't feel like I should. My vote would be subjective (even negatively) but anyways, votes in generally are subjective. I am only wondering whether I'd feel like voting or not, as a smaller contributor for a production. Bah,. it's not the most important thing now :)
2003-08-06 19:16
Cruzer

Well, self-voting might suck, but then it should be disallowed in the voting system. Or maybe there should just be a message saying "please don't vote for yourself or your productions" or something. And maybe something about not downvoting others could be added while we're @ it.
2003-08-06 21:46
Slator

Quote: Well, self-voting might suck, but then it should be disallowed in the voting system. Or maybe there should just be a message saying "please don't vote for yourself or your productions" or something. And maybe something about not downvoting others could be added while we're @ it.

cruzer, that message was branded into our brains ages ago... ;-D

YOU should know that...

you think the error is in the system ? maybe we are all part of it...

2003-08-07 13:04
Cruzer

Branded in our brains? You mean from vote sheets? And why should I know that, I have been out of the scene for ages, so I have forgotten all these little rules.

But ok, I'm kinda starting to realize self-voting might be a bit lame, so I deleted my self-votes. But I still think they should disallow it in the system, and make all votes transparent aswell. But that's just my 2 cents.
2003-08-07 14:39
Slator

cruzer, no worries, I am of the same opinion.
maybe we should just drop Perff a line that he should change that...

Captain Perff, engage!

...being old is nothing bad...
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Kruthers
tubesockor
Guests online: 79
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 13:37  (9.7)