Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Self-voting
2003-07-20 09:22
TDJ

Self-voting

Hello, I'm TDJ, and I'm a self-voter. I gave 'Timewaster' and 8, and appearantly somebody (Shake) thought this was strange, so allow me to explain myself.

I've been rating demos since forever, and for a new project/website I'm going to do I'll be doing this a lot more. Some of these demos have been made by me or a group I've been in. For me that's no problem: I feel I can be objective enough to do so. And most of the time I'll even be more negative to a certain production than outsiders, because I know the difference between what was & what could have been.

Now when it comes to Timewaster, I gave it an '8' because it's truly an original piece, not because I wanted it to be higher in the charts here. So should I retract that vote because of 'political correctness'?

So what's your opinion about self-voting? Speak ..

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-07-21 20:22
TDJ

There's a difference between 'objective' and 'objective enough'. And my split personalities only take over if I forget to take my medicine. Which reminds us ..
2003-07-22 08:33
Derision

As a general rule, I don't vote for myself or my productions. Not because I think there's anything specifically wrong with it... if you want to vote for your own demo, knock your socks off. I don't do it because my opinions on things I've done (and of myself) change at practically random intervals. There are times I'm particularly fond of a logo or something I coded, and then a week later I think it's the ugliest thing my brain ever spewed out. Changing my vote that often would be a major expense of effort, and that is far more effort than I've got.

That said... I did give myself a "1" a few months back, though I've deleted those votes because my opinion changed (and CSDb doesn't offer negative numbers). Bottom line... er... I don't think it matters if someone votes for their own crap. It's all relative, y'know?
2003-07-22 09:41
Shake

Hello TDJ, thumbs up you came to this meeting, it's the first step. -klap-klap ;)

Your vote was no mistake, so the comment is misplaced. Thanks for explaining your motives.

So continue. Although in my personal view I prefer placing comments/opinion to your -own- the release, it's more interesting than a number and doesn't have any influence the average. But that counts for all votes doesn't it ;))
2003-08-06 13:37
Cruzer

I'm also a big time self voter. I mean, why not? Lots of ppl prolly do it, they just don't make their votings public (I guess, but I can't know ofcuz since they're not public.)

If it wasn't allowed, the brilliant CSDB coders could just make a function that made it impossible to vote for yourself or productions where you were credited.
2003-08-06 17:23
Slator

I don't see any point in selfvoting. If you love yourself, play with yourself but not vote :-D

2003-08-06 18:30
Optimus

There are sometimes people who have submitted few work for a production, without belonging in the main group who did this (freelancing). Should they vote or not?

Anyways, I personally haven't ever voted for my own stuff (in pouet), all of them were truly my own things, that's why I didn't feel like I should. My vote would be subjective (even negatively) but anyways, votes in generally are subjective. I am only wondering whether I'd feel like voting or not, as a smaller contributor for a production. Bah,. it's not the most important thing now :)
2003-08-06 19:16
Cruzer

Well, self-voting might suck, but then it should be disallowed in the voting system. Or maybe there should just be a message saying "please don't vote for yourself or your productions" or something. And maybe something about not downvoting others could be added while we're @ it.
2003-08-06 21:46
Slator

Quote: Well, self-voting might suck, but then it should be disallowed in the voting system. Or maybe there should just be a message saying "please don't vote for yourself or your productions" or something. And maybe something about not downvoting others could be added while we're @ it.

cruzer, that message was branded into our brains ages ago... ;-D

YOU should know that...

you think the error is in the system ? maybe we are all part of it...

2003-08-07 13:04
Cruzer

Branded in our brains? You mean from vote sheets? And why should I know that, I have been out of the scene for ages, so I have forgotten all these little rules.

But ok, I'm kinda starting to realize self-voting might be a bit lame, so I deleted my self-votes. But I still think they should disallow it in the system, and make all votes transparent aswell. But that's just my 2 cents.
2003-08-07 14:39
Slator

cruzer, no worries, I am of the same opinion.
maybe we should just drop Perff a line that he should change that...

Captain Perff, engage!

...being old is nothing bad...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
ptoing
t0m3000/ibex-crew
New Design/Excess
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
deetsay