Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > new CSDB compo?
2016-01-13 13:47
Monte Carlos

new CSDB compo?

I have an idea about a new CSDB compo and i would like to share it with you. Please give me feedback of how you like that idea!
Timeline could be 4 or 8 weeks respectively.

In the recent years there have been several CSDB competitions about
tunes, grafics, charset, petscii art, coding etc.
for example:
Crack Intro Music Competition 2013
3-Color-Logo Competition 2013
Font Creation Competition 2013

These competitions produced much output. However many of the entries
have been stayed unused within a more complete production like a demo
or an intro.
This is the reason why a came up with the idea of a "CSDB garbage collection" competition.
In this circumstace "garbage" is not meant to be offensive it's just an idiom which fits for me
to the idea.
The compo is about taking one or more atomic entries, which are not themself part of a larger production,
like a charset, a tune or a grafic and then combine them in a new intro or demo (onefiler).

Rulez:

- The base material for your own production must be taken from the CSDB database,
must have it's origin in the freelancer sceen and may not be related to a commercial
production
- The base material must be a CSDB only release and must not have been released elsewhere.
- The base material must not have been referenced in another entry than that of the
entry itself. (you should check that)
- You should make a selection and then tell something like: "i want to participate in the compo with x,y and z..." to
allow the owners to give feedback
- You may only use material from active CSDB members
- You must give appropriate credits
- You may only take one type of release a single time (f.e. only one charset, only one tune) but of course you may
choose one logo, one charset and one tune together
- You may not rip base material from another complete production or use existing code
- If one entry you use got a high rating you have to compensate with another used entry with a low rating so your
production will not be judged for the work of others.
- Your program must be executable on a stock C64 and needs to be startable with the "run" command
- Max. unpacked program size must be $4000 bytes, therefore you must supply compressed and uncompressed file.
After decompression both memory configurations should be identical in the respective area

Voting will be done by CSDB members. Your vote will be divided by 0,3x(sum of votes of base material) so that
your final rating is higher
1st: the higher your rating is and
2nd: the more you upvalued other peoples material.
There will be no prices. Only fame received by other CSDB members.
2016-01-13 15:25
T.M.R
Account closed

i like this idea... but i'm also an opinionated, gobby twat too. =-)

Quoting Monte Carlos
This is the reason why a came up with the idea of a "CSDB garbage collection" competition.

CSDb Recycling Competition perhaps?

Quoting Monte Carlos
- You should make a selection and then tell something like: "i want to participate in the compo with x,y and z..." to allow the owners to give feedback
- You may only use material from active CSDB members

Aww... the scene is used to people ripping each other's work, who needs permission? =-) The deadline'll probably need to be eight weeks rather than four then, especially if we're having to chase multiple people up to get permission slips signed.

Quoting Monte Carlos
- If one entry you use got a high rating you have to compensate with another used entry with a low rating so your production will not be judged for the work of others.

This seems rather vague; there were over a hundred entries in the three colour logo competition for example, so does "high rating" mean in the top ten, top thirty, upper 50%? Same for the "low rating"? Also, how much of the demo has to be recycled to qualify, one element or does it need to be more?

Oh, whilst i'm here... finish off the last feckin' competition you started yeah? =-)
2016-01-13 16:54
Monte Carlos

I don't expect someone to finish off my compo rules. I just wanted feedback of the type basically yes/no and maybe one or two sentences as an explanation.
Anyway i posted my idea here (with the rules draft) because i wanted to prevent the height ho of my last initiated compo.
2016-01-13 17:09
Joe

Here's some thoughts:
I want the third choice... I kind of like the idea of reuse, it might even be made in such a way, the results could be charming. Like imaginary cross meetings with graphics incoherent to the audio files. Sliced portions of different disciplines to build up a different imagery. A kind of a collage work one could say. But just placing one logo next to another and with a tune made by a third, doesn’t sound exciting enough to me. More like a greetings part with 200+ names or something.. Perhaps animate those petsciis then?

But would it serve more than a crunch of known knowns or, could one perhaps expect more of the unknown knowns? :)
2016-01-13 19:29
Hein

Nice idea. Asking permission and waiting for a response for weeks or foreverever, nah. Add a few more of those freelance compos to the list of base material providers to make it a fair choice for every one. Compensating for the low votes on the base material is a good idea, possibly with some different math. I'd pick the material I like anyway, popular or not. Maybe I can do my first FPP... FFP
2016-01-13 20:29
chatGPZ

you should get bonus points if you can prove someone sued you for ripping his ugly logo =)
2016-01-13 22:42
T.M.R
Account closed

Quoting Monte Carlos
I don't expect someone to finish off my compo rules.

That's good, i didn't say you were. i was talking about your last competition - unintended opcode - it's deadline was last month but you haven't updated the entry to reflect that. i could edit the entry myself of course, but it's your compo and me dicking with things wouldn't be polite!
2016-01-13 23:28
Monte Carlos

OK, maybe i took it too sloppy as i presumed that a compo with a defined deadline is over when the deadline is over. i wasn't aware that i have to commit that the deadline is over if everybody can read when it's over. Will correct that.
2016-01-13 23:47
T.M.R
Account closed

Quoting Monte Carlos
OK, maybe i took it too sloppy as i presumed that a compo with a defined deadline is over when the deadline is over. i wasn't aware that i have to commit that the deadline is over if everybody can read when it's over.

Yeah, but they can't read the results because those were the CSDb votes on the day of the deadline... all of the competitions you linked to have results listed for example.
2016-01-14 06:33
TheRyk

I'm not really fascinated (remember BCC#10 is in about 6 weeks) but as it's mostly rip and rearrange, I might create my usual compo troll entry, probably made by recycling former compo trolling :)
2016-01-14 10:06
Monte Carlos

I could start it after the BCC, which makes sense. Also i agree with Joe that this should become a compo with interesting entries, not just like they were done with a demomaker.
The important point is of course the rating as one should not judge the base material only but more the effort in doing something new with existing stuff.
However having tons of music, charsets and logos lying around on CSDB without beeing implemented in intros or demos is not of use for anyone.
Therefore i will
1st) finish my former compo
2nd) rethink my new idea
3rd) rise the compo
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
Linus/MSL
CA$H/TRiAD
Airwolf/F4CG
d'Avid
Andy/AEG