Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > THE DEMO ?
2004-11-28 11:57
cbmhardware
Account closed

THE DEMO ?

The year 2004 is nearly finished, 22 years after selling the first "c64" , I am curios about your suggestion about "THE DEMO". Yes, a straight ten, the one, that may be the goal of all expectations.
What do you suggest ? - An overview of the last years, oldskool parts, following a scenish design , sid at the max , technically and design candies and an experimental last part, to inspire a new way of demodesign ?

I am curiosity about the differences in your suggestions.

I think there is no way to code "THE DEMO". There are surely many differences in expectations.

best regards,
Michael

... 32 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-12-03 11:39
Nafcom

Quote: Now that you mentioned this possible movie..

I have a documentary about Commodore, how it is assembled, and tested etc.

Will upload soon to somewhere!

Is that that German one from inside the factory which were spread over Edonkey2000 network? If yes, then I have it already. If not, please let me know =) thanks!
2004-12-03 12:08
Oswald

Quote: I'd always wanted to see a demo, that has all the 'routines' in it, ever invented. starting in real oldskool, ending with the design of top demos of today.

1st screen: flashing borders, 1x1 scroller whatever..
last screen: all that you can pump out in 1 frame..

or something.. like that :-)

sort of like a history demo of the C64.

I've seen once such on amiga. It was done in amos or smth. and it was hellish boring. it started with a scroller.. then colors (d800) ran over it, then it had background rasters, then the raster was in the chars, then it became a dycp, then a dypp, then come a logo, then the logo moved left/right, then they added rasters, then it moved up/down aswell, then they added fld, then they added fld between each char row, but then they removed the rasters coz that couldnt be done (fld each line+rasters), then they added rasters back..

see ? ihmo there's no point..
2004-12-06 11:08
Krill

yeah, hellish boring. there are so many yet un-done effects left, coding those is more fun than coding these _really_ old boring effects. today's versions of old effects is okay though (like hcl's 15 ora dycp scrollers and some of the new crest stuff). but a demo with all in it, well, it would be hellish long and hellish boring indeed.
2004-12-06 12:04
Wile Coyote

The ultimate demo for me would be: It would have to look very pretty, it would have to sound great, it would be very well designed and contain as many routines as possible and break or equal all known records. The demo would also strive to be original, which means all music and graphics would not be based on anything out there already, and as a general rule of thumb, nothing ugly would be allowed (no matter how impressive the routine would claim to be ;)

What would be great would be a theme or a story holding the whole production together.
2004-12-06 14:53
Oswald

hahaha :) this sounds exactly as our "big" demo project :) but god knows when it will be finished.
2004-12-06 15:14
Krill

don't all our big demo projects look like that? ;) but in the end nobody manages that. just like any other kind of artist who never does the ultimate piece of art of its genre.
2004-12-06 20:58
Cruzer

My idea of an ultimate demo would be a demo that utilized the C64 100% in all ways. This means that it would feature fx/gfx/music that everyone agreed was the best ever, and could never be done any better. But this is ofcourse a utopian dream that will never happen (or will it when AI reaches totally awesome h4xx0r skillz?)

Realisticly an ultimate demo could be a DVD with all the best fx/gfx/music from the scene mixed together. I think it would be a waste of time to make it as a real demo, since as Krill said there is still lotsa undone fx waiting to be coded.
2004-12-07 07:52
HCL

Isn't it partly the reason for many of us to continue making demos with 'new' effects, that there are still many ideas left undone. If someone would make *THE DEMO* (which is of course impossible) the rest of us would simply have to bite the dust and leave the scene as loosers.

Also that *history* demo with all records etc. gathered would be useless as soon as anyone made one routine that was better/faster. It's just an illusion that perfectionism actually exists, and it has been an illusion for twenty years now. That's inspiring!
2004-12-07 08:31
Oswald

actually, besides "fame", being on top10, feedback, etc the most inspiring thing to me in making demos is reaching the goal and making "THE" demo. I have pretty much failed so far ;) (darn soiled legacy is out of top10 ;)

-"There's many effects still undone": that's a bit wrong way to define what inspires us... atleast speaking for myself. It's rather about making better effects than the current ones (incl. new ones), to show that "we" are the ultimate coder gods :D

-"it would feature fx/gfx/music that everyone agreed was the best ever": IMHO dutch breeze has achieved that in terms of gfx and music. Even codewise it can be looked at that way. If it would have featured fillvectors/dots/etc, it would be since long time outdated, but the routines in their territory are still the best.

krill: true, but if this demo will be finished, it will be exactly as defined by wile coyote. *boasts* :)

2004-12-07 09:49
Optimus

Hmm,. I'd like to see something featuring preety many killer fx (Soiled Legacy) with a concept (Red Storm, Refugee) plus an impressive ammount of design/gfx/music work (Insomnia, Cycle). Would this mix be a contradiction? Would the pure coder effects destroy the feeling? I don't know. We all want the dream work anyways..

p.s. Looking forward for the Resource demo, sounds great! In 2008 perhaps? ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
ptoing
Ramon B5/DESiRE
Guests online: 114
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 13:37  (9.7)