Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > THE DEMO ?
2004-11-28 11:57
cbmhardware
Account closed

THE DEMO ?

The year 2004 is nearly finished, 22 years after selling the first "c64" , I am curios about your suggestion about "THE DEMO". Yes, a straight ten, the one, that may be the goal of all expectations.
What do you suggest ? - An overview of the last years, oldskool parts, following a scenish design , sid at the max , technically and design candies and an experimental last part, to inspire a new way of demodesign ?

I am curiosity about the differences in your suggestions.

I think there is no way to code "THE DEMO". There are surely many differences in expectations.

best regards,
Michael

... 32 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-12-08 13:46
Optimus

>With the above statement we would get even more *delay->records*,

But that was my point in a way (I should be more clear :). To make THE DEMO someone needs to forget deadlines and give to himself as much time as he pleases. "At the end however, deadlines may push your lazy ass hard ;P" -> without deadlines you may never push yourself to finish a release. I was talking about the contradiction actually..
2004-12-08 14:12
hollowman

if waiting for years only will result in dutch breeze, then i'd prefer to skip the whole idea of THE DEMO.
although i actually have such a demoproject, after 3 years i have 2 parts... so i prefer only doing something i am somewhat happy with instead. "releasing 4-5 demos of good quality is better than doing one brilliant" as twoflower once put it

nightlord, no, but there will be a floppy next year ;) the last weekend of february
2004-12-08 14:29
Wile Coyote

Here's one way to make THE DEMO. Make it Co-Op :)

List all the effects, list which demo has done it better than all the rest, then assemble these parts and replace music and visual with new :)

All in all, the idea of THE DEMO is possibly not a good one.
2004-12-08 16:42
Oswald

this topic is pointless... I dont even care to defend my opinions. Tastes are different so no point to argue.
2004-12-09 08:46
HCL

Yepp, close the thread. Or rename it to: "What's the meaning of life?"
2004-12-09 09:00
Oswald

2004-12-09 09:17
Krill

i guess there are a lot of people who plan to release something like THE DEMO, i do myself ;) well, not really, but those people (including me) release smaller stuff in between, like me with 4k demos, mag intros and some onefilers here and there (just mentioning panta rhei here). in the meanwhile, those ought-to-be-perfect parts gather, but also gather dust. in the end there'll be demos with old stuff that, if you're lucky, nobody has done and released in a similar form in the years of lying around solely in your diskbox. demos that have an oldschool feeling attached while most its effects were state-of-the-art when being created. groundbreaking new style, effects or ideas will never be released in a big perfect demo, it just takes too much time that most of us don't have.
2004-12-09 10:40
Cruzer

Perfectionism is stupid. It takes too long to make a perfect demo, and when it's finally released the creators often tend to quit the scene afterwards because I guess they find it too impossible to try to exceed their perfect masterpiece.
2004-12-09 20:52
enthusi

Hum, not that I'd participate in a 'perfect demo'.
But if everybody looks for such a thing apparently, how comes there are so many good ones? :)
I dont have a favorite demo for each effect...
Even something 'simple' as plasmas can still be cool, well done, beautyfull, hypnotic, etc... its some sort of design and style that makes it fit into the rest...
Unfortunately this is what happens to the PC-scene in mey eyes... There are no more limits on what can be done. Or the limits blure out. Now style is the only thing to be achieved. With great success - sure but I dont like that. The old ones are still the best ones... On C64 coders can afford to take both extremes. I like some old Triad-demos/intros just for their style (no matter how out-of-date (I didnt think to find such an argument HERE) and some 'ugly' others for their skill and then again most of the crest for a nice combination ;)
And in my personal life I tend to NOT like what everybody else seems to. (Football, Harry Potter, LOTR, Windows :)
So the perfect demo sure isnt perfect per definition.
Whatever... I (though failing in sticking to it) like the words: time spend talking about doing is time wasted.
Not that I plan to code such a demo (for lack of many things) but Im going to code around right now after this :)
Hopefully Im not the only one.
Im always surprised what 'old' demos came up with - always worth browsing old disks.
/enthusi
2004-12-10 08:27
Graham
Account closed

i agree with krill here. if making a demo takes too long, it will be a demo which consists of old shit. and my experience is: if you do a new amazing effect, someone else is also working on something similar since previous demos have lead to that idea.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
Menace/Spaceballs
bOOZElEE
Apollyon/ALD
Mason/Unicess
Guests online: 113