Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Commodore 1 : lame retro-computer or cool new geek machine ?
2002-12-02 17:32
Pater Pi
Account closed

Commodore 1 : lame retro-computer or cool new geek machine ?

Hi,
I think it would be quite interesting (and maybe even amusing) to see how the scene (or scene individuals) look at the new Commodore 1.
Do you see it as a poor attempt to build a new c64? Or do you see it as a great Geek machine which among other features just got some sort of c64 compatibility?
I think those people who do not like the c1 are mainly those who don't like the SCPU either: c64 purists, but maybe I am wrong?

Personally I think the Commodore 1 could be some cool "homecomputer" with great possibilities (one of those is of course the limited c64-compatibility) and be a nice machine to do music, demos, games etc. on it.

... 41 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-12-05 20:32
hollowman

not much to battle about. roughs suspicions where pretty much proven when St0fF posted 'Mermaid: good job!' ;)
2002-12-06 01:10
MagerValp

I'm getting a C=1 because together with a J-PAC interface I can make my own arcade games for my cabinets. And that's hella cool.

And hollow, Jeri has never talked about being 100% C64 compatible, if anyone else has claimed 100% it's their words. This is a computer implemented in programmable logic that loads the hardware config from ROM when you power it up. It can be pretty much anything you want it to, and the default is a C64 compatible mode. It's a machine for hackers, coders, and enthusiasts, not C64 purists. They will never accept anything but a genuine breadbox and 1541, and they are clearly not the target for this machine.
2002-12-06 01:51
T.M.R
Account closed

i've never been expecting 100% compatible, but one of my main reasons for buying a One is to reduce the desk space needed for the machines knocking around - if the percentage is going to be *significantly* lower than the 98-99% that the PC-based emulators offer it starts to look less attractive to me at least...
2002-12-06 10:35
Stryyker

If is theoretically possible to make the CPU part compatible as some people have made their own 6510 100% compatibler FPGA (or something) cores and possible to clock them at their own speeds. It don't help the rest though. Still, let people judge the C=1 from official announcements for what it is. Still would be nice to have an all in 1 solution for a C64 replacement, even easy way to select SID models etc.
2002-12-06 13:52
macx

how will the SID be emulated? i reckon they wont run the real thing in it (as its hardfetched these days). and the possibilities to connect it with a real c64 and e.g. a 1541?

if it is 99% ok i reckon it would be cewl to store all those tons of disks ive got on it. if it is easy to connect it with the breadbin, that is.

will it be sold plug-and-play or just as a motherboard?

2002-12-06 16:55
MagerValp

Quote: i've never been expecting 100% compatible, but one of my main reasons for buying a One is to reduce the desk space needed for the machines knocking around - if the percentage is going to be *significantly* lower than the 98-99% that the PC-based emulators offer it starts to look less attractive to me at least...

VICE and CCS64 are way more compatible than 98-99% these days. There are only a handful of demos that don't work correctly.

The C=1 is *not* going to replace your C64 setup. It will not handle stuff like FLI or VSP or any other advanced vic tricks. It'll run at 20 MHz, so things like that will just crash & burn. It'll be compatible enough to play old games, but it's not designed to be a C64 replacement.
2002-12-06 19:29
T.M.R
Account closed

i know VICE and CCS are very close to 100%, i'm just willing to allow a looser margin for a machine like the One before i start to question what it will and won't be for me personally. At the moment, my main reason for what is a substantial outlay of cash is that it's C64 compatible and the more that is eroded the harder i'll find it to justify the outlay to She Who Must Be Obeyed and myself come to think of it.

It's going to be too expensive for me to justify with the "it's a fun thing to play with" reasoning, there's loads of stuff i have filed under that category but i can't afford them either...
2002-12-06 19:59
macx

Quote: VICE and CCS64 are way more compatible than 98-99% these days. There are only a handful of demos that don't work correctly.

The C=1 is *not* going to replace your C64 setup. It will not handle stuff like FLI or VSP or any other advanced vic tricks. It'll run at 20 MHz, so things like that will just crash & burn. It'll be compatible enough to play old games, but it's not designed to be a C64 replacement.

VICE more than 99% compatible? dunno about that.. when i run stuff using VICE on my PIII 733 mHz its odd. the sound is often pretty much crap and effects and graphics can act peculiar.

if the C=1 is going to be less compatible i'm not going to buy it for that cause anyway. which doesn't mean it couldn't be a cewl thing.

how come it's not in the producers' interest to have it more or less fully compatible? and don't come saying it's impossible..
2002-12-06 20:12
cadaver

I hope a flamewar doesn't burst as a result of this post :), but I believe the C=1 originating from NTSC-land is a significant factor, as the use of more extreme VIC tricks has been more prominent in PAL scene.
2002-12-07 11:09
MagerValp

Because you can't be compatible and at the same time get new features like VGA graphics, IDE interface, 20 MHz CPU, 32 MB ram, 16-channel SID with 16-bit samples, and a few other things. Remember that this project started as a 24-bit graphics card for the C64. The first prototype was an expansion card in the sid socket of a breadbox.

So yes, you can clone the C64 in programmable logic with 100% compatibility -- but that's not what the C=1 is. It's a new computer that happens to default to a C64 compatibility mode.

As for PAL vs NTSC, Jeri's not a scener or demo coder, so she obviously has a different perspective on things.

Again, if you want a C64, use your breadbox. If you want a new computer to play with, get a C=1.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
Jetboy/Elysium
Matt
pcollins/Quantum
Acidchild/Padua
Frostbyte/Artline De..