Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Commodore 1 : lame retro-computer or cool new geek machine ?
2002-12-02 17:32
Pater Pi
Account closed

Commodore 1 : lame retro-computer or cool new geek machine ?

Hi,
I think it would be quite interesting (and maybe even amusing) to see how the scene (or scene individuals) look at the new Commodore 1.
Do you see it as a poor attempt to build a new c64? Or do you see it as a great Geek machine which among other features just got some sort of c64 compatibility?
I think those people who do not like the c1 are mainly those who don't like the SCPU either: c64 purists, but maybe I am wrong?

Personally I think the Commodore 1 could be some cool "homecomputer" with great possibilities (one of those is of course the limited c64-compatibility) and be a nice machine to do music, demos, games etc. on it.

... 41 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-12-09 17:21
MagerValp

Quote: Just to get things right... Aren't we talking about a platform which is "programable"? So, if there's any bugs (like incorrect VIC-timing, etc...) we just have to flash another memory-card with a fixed version and voilà, the glitches will go away... Or did I get something wrong?

Yes, you're right -- someone "just" has to do it :) You'll also need to supply a 6502 processor card for illegals to work.
2002-12-11 07:35
taper

If anyone could make a 100% clone of the c64, I would be dead happy. Looking att all the things Jeri has invented for the Commodore One, it wouldn't be impossible at all. But it takes skills. Our c64's are aging, and now and then some decides to give in for good. New replacement machines would make me sleep a hell of a lot easier at night. I would rather have such a clone than a Commodore One.

Having said that, I'm still very impressed about Jeri's work on the C1, and I have full respect for the fact that she wants to make a new computer. It´s her project, and why should she do anything she doesn't want to do?

I will most probably buy a C1, but since I even think emulators are too uncompatible I wont use it for normal c64 activities, watching demos and so on. I will use it for the same thing as Magervalp, putting it in my arcadecabinette with a Jpac to be able to play some of the classic games (using an arcademonitor will provide a better more suitable picture than a vga monitor aswell). I don't expect it to run the more advanced games, though.

Besides, I don't have the right to bitch about incompability if I don't buy one, right? ;)

When the Commodore One is finished, is there any way we could talk Jeri into making a pure c64-clone aswell? Would be worth a try... ;)
2002-12-11 16:38
LordNikon

The biggest problems are new graphic modies and this scpu prozessor. But maybe the is a possibility to build an grafix card for the c64 (+scpu) to use this new graphic modies...
2002-12-12 07:50
Optic
Account closed

Ok, it's my time to contribute to this thread..

Bring on the Torquemada!

The upper sentence was meant as a comment to someone's post about purists vs. hackers/enthusiasts/whatever..

I am definately going to get myself one as soon as my financial problems are solved..

Honestly, I can't even begin to consider myself as a C=64 purist. My first computer was a VIC-20, after that i had a few C64's and C64C's with different diskdrives.. after those i went with Amiga.. Along came PC with emulators.. Good to test and preview stuff found in internjet..

I have always considered myself more of a hardware freak than coder/GFX/music dude.. So if someone makes interesting stuff in the spirit of old-things-commodore, i want to see how they work and see what kind of stuff can be done with it..

I'll buy it even out of curiosity..
2002-12-12 08:31
Jazzcat

I agree with Taper.

Things won't last forever, I am especially having problems lately with 1541 drives and 5.25" floppys disks.

2002-12-12 14:37
MagerValp

Quote: The biggest problems are new graphic modies and this scpu prozessor. But maybe the is a possibility to build an grafix card for the c64 (+scpu) to use this new graphic modies...

No, because the C64 doesn't have the required bandwidth to work with hires modes. It takes a whole second just to clear an 800x600x16-bit screen over the C64's 1 MB/s bus, if you could somehow write one byte per cycle. There's also no way of addressing the video ram, unless you have a SuperCPU -- and that costs more than the C=1 will.

There's a reason why Jeri ditched the graphics card project and made a whole new computer instead...
2002-12-12 14:43
MagerValp

Quote: If anyone could make a 100% clone of the c64, I would be dead happy. Looking att all the things Jeri has invented for the Commodore One, it wouldn't be impossible at all. But it takes skills. Our c64's are aging, and now and then some decides to give in for good. New replacement machines would make me sleep a hell of a lot easier at night. I would rather have such a clone than a Commodore One.

Having said that, I'm still very impressed about Jeri's work on the C1, and I have full respect for the fact that she wants to make a new computer. It´s her project, and why should she do anything she doesn't want to do?

I will most probably buy a C1, but since I even think emulators are too uncompatible I wont use it for normal c64 activities, watching demos and so on. I will use it for the same thing as Magervalp, putting it in my arcadecabinette with a Jpac to be able to play some of the classic games (using an arcademonitor will provide a better more suitable picture than a vga monitor aswell). I don't expect it to run the more advanced games, though.

Besides, I don't have the right to bitch about incompability if I don't buy one, right? ;)

When the Commodore One is finished, is there any way we could talk Jeri into making a pure c64-clone aswell? Would be worth a try... ;)

The C=1 has all the hardware you need for a 100% clone of the C64, it's "just" a matter of rewriting vhdl code. The supplied code for the default C64 compatible mode should be a good start -- you'll have to rip out the new incompatible features and reclaim that space for more C64 compatibility.

It really shouldn't be more complex than writing a cycle exact emulator like the VICE or CCS64, and someone managed to do that...
2003-01-05 13:48
Nafcom

Quote: Ah, I kind of tacked fun into the usefulness factor.. I mean, the C64 has lots of cool games & demos produced, and programming for it is a challenge.

But the C=1 to me is more like a "generic" computer, with CPU power to spare, windowed/multitasking OS coming, that's what I mean...

I agree to that one in 100%!

I am sure, she is right!

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
2003-01-05 13:54
Nafcom

Quote: The C=1 does have *something* to do with the C64 scene...Or do you see Spectrum sceners waiting in line to get one?

Usefulness? People...do you use a c64 because it is "useful"?
I should hope you use your c64 because you have *fun* doing so. I know I'll have a lot of fun with the C=1.

And yes, I'm certainly going to buy a C=1.

Well, I thought a lot about that, well, and yes, I don't use it for anything else than fun, but I want to get some new happenings for that!

If I only would have used and would still use it only for fun, then I would be statisfied with some old games and that's all for fun.

I like the fact, that the C64 has a friendly scene and I like to be a part of it. Also, because I like it and it makes fun! :)

Maybe a bit confusing, eh?! Now, the question is, if C=1 would need an own "scene" or if it gets involved with the existing C64 scene...

But I am not yet sure if I would by such a motherboard...

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
2003-01-05 13:57
Nafcom

Quote: I agree with Taper.

Things won't last forever, I am especially having problems lately with 1541 drives and 5.25" floppys disks.

Yes, I agree with both of you!

Give me a 100% clone of my existing one, and I would buy some! I am sure! Also drives! Yes, I would buy one!

I had 1 year problems with my 1541-II's but since 2 years, my problems are fixed. I have got several. And even since there are different builts and manufactures, there is a difference of quality of mechanics in some 1541-II's.
Not every mechanic/model is 100% the same.

And there are games not working to load on every 1541-II!...

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
tlr
Krill/Plush
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
Acidchild/Padua
Courage
cba