Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Questions about the demo scene of today
2002-04-08 20:31
Richard

Questions about the demo scene of today

What do you think of the demo scene of today?

Here's my thoughts. Demos improved in the past and it is generally extremely difficult to come up with really cool effects. However, does this really matter? Demos are meant to be entertaining. Take Royal Arte, Deus Ex Machina and many other demos for example. I've been ever so impressed with the work put into the demos. They were entertaining.

As long as these demo groups are enjoying theirselves coding demos, or attending these scene parties, a massive thumbs up to them all :)

... 61 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-04-10 16:52
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Granted, the NTSC scene is nearly comatose. There was only one demo release by Carcass?

Oh, I also released a small demo in 2001-02. :) Check out the CSDb entry for Coca Cola Santa Claus. This is a technically brilliant demo, even though it displays an image of the fat santa sipping on a Coke.

The SuperCPU is the last unexplored territory for the Commodore 8-bitters. Demo coders can really push the boundaries of the VIC-II chip, SID and CIA's, where all bit-banging can be easily done at 1MHz machine cycle intervals.

While it is nice to see demos coming out for the C64/128, I'd like to see more SuperCPU oriented demos that truly pushes the boundaries. Give one of these SuperCPU units to Graham or Crossbow and watch them work their magic. :)

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2002-04-10 19:34
CreaMD

I think Graham & Crossbow will continue to impress us even without SCPU ;-))
2002-04-10 20:01
Moloch

Todd -

That NTSC release was from the group Arcane - coded by Carcass/Arcane.

It's a tad bit confusing when there was a group called Carcass and there is a scener called Carcass.

:)
2002-04-10 21:43
T.M.R
Account closed

Personally, i dislike the idea of demos that require a SuperCPU, C64 demos are all built around the same "benchmark", a machine that pulls about 1MHz; the minute that goalpost starts moving we end up like the Amiga or PC scenes where an '060 is needed or a 3D video card...
2002-04-11 11:21
hollowman

fullscreen fli with scpu doesnt impress so much when hcl already did 40x26 chars big ifli on stock c64 :)
2002-04-11 12:06
Black Belt Jones
Account closed

G'day all. Well here goes my *first step* into the scene.

I want to say that i LOVE what you all do. I admire all that you do, whether its GFX/MSX/FX. It dosent matter whether any code is improved or not. Put it together with great pics and a killer soundtrack and no two demos are the same. They always have something new to offer, even if its a small thing.

For idiots like me who cant code or do a thing, and I wish I could, its great just sitting back with a smoke and whacking a new demo into the drive and enjoying. The only thing better than that was actually getting a fresh demo in the mail from the BRIEF-6 mths time I was in the scene a few years ago. Im was useless with coding or anything like that but the group Dark Crystal accepted me as a spreader.

Until 30 seconds ago I was just a spectator, downloading demos and watching. As of *now* I want to declare myself a scener! Im out there. And Im re-inventing myself as a musician. Ive been pounding away at the 64 with a copy of cybertracker and im almost ready to show my stuff to anyone who wants to listen.

People that say the scene is dying make me worried, I want to pat every active group out there on the back and thank them for the hours of entertainment provided to me. The scene R O C K S. Keep the 64 alive and strong.

Sorry if this was a bit long but I wanted to make my scene message clear. I love it all.

I hope all of you will welcome me into the scene with open arms.
2002-04-11 12:39
Krill

Release-wise, no-one expected anything from MS2002 afaik. In fact, I even was surprised about the number of releases.
I am strongly convinced that the releases and their number will improve within short time. And yeah, there actally are people working on demos and stuff. Just expect the unexpected.
2002-04-11 13:02
anonym

Well people were hoping for stronger c64 presence at ms2002, but it has always fluctuated if you look back over the years... I think that there's more to come ;-)

However I think holding one's release back because there's hardly any competition is not really a valid reason... What is finished should be released.

/Frank
2002-04-11 13:04
CreaMD

BBJ: "G'day all. Well here goes my *first step* into the scene. "

Welcome in the CSDB forums BBJ.

BBJ "I was useless with coding or anything like that but the group Dark Crystal accepted me as a spreader. "

Sebaloz also started as a Swapper and now he is an able Graphician and Coder. Don't worry it just comes with the ammount of work you do. More you will try, better you will get.

BBJ: "I hope all of you will welcome me into the scene with open arms. "

Scene is not a closed society. If you prove yourself to be an able member it will accept you somehow, automatically ;-)). Anyway have a lotsa inspiration, I look forward for your creations.

Have good time.

Roman
2002-04-11 13:27
Commander
Account closed

Quote: G'day all. Well here goes my *first step* into the scene.

I want to say that i LOVE what you all do. I admire all that you do, whether its GFX/MSX/FX. It dosent matter whether any code is improved or not. Put it together with great pics and a killer soundtrack and no two demos are the same. They always have something new to offer, even if its a small thing.

For idiots like me who cant code or do a thing, and I wish I could, its great just sitting back with a smoke and whacking a new demo into the drive and enjoying. The only thing better than that was actually getting a fresh demo in the mail from the BRIEF-6 mths time I was in the scene a few years ago. Im was useless with coding or anything like that but the group Dark Crystal accepted me as a spreader.

Until 30 seconds ago I was just a spectator, downloading demos and watching. As of *now* I want to declare myself a scener! Im out there. And Im re-inventing myself as a musician. Ive been pounding away at the 64 with a copy of cybertracker and im almost ready to show my stuff to anyone who wants to listen.

People that say the scene is dying make me worried, I want to pat every active group out there on the back and thank them for the hours of entertainment provided to me. The scene R O C K S. Keep the 64 alive and strong.

Sorry if this was a bit long but I wanted to make my scene message clear. I love it all.

I hope all of you will welcome me into the scene with open arms.

Welcome to our paradise!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Rhythm/G★P
iceout/Avatar/HF
Medicus
Alakran_64
instant
Guests online: 132