Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Questions about the demo scene of today
2002-04-08 20:31
Richard

Questions about the demo scene of today

What do you think of the demo scene of today?

Here's my thoughts. Demos improved in the past and it is generally extremely difficult to come up with really cool effects. However, does this really matter? Demos are meant to be entertaining. Take Royal Arte, Deus Ex Machina and many other demos for example. I've been ever so impressed with the work put into the demos. They were entertaining.

As long as these demo groups are enjoying theirselves coding demos, or attending these scene parties, a massive thumbs up to them all :)

... 61 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-04-12 11:40
Black Belt Jones
Account closed

Is that joysticks or joypads.. need further clarification.
2002-04-12 11:45
Krill

Quote: Gunnar: I'm just refering to some rumors I heard and I would think that it was a pity if they were true... Nevermind ;-)

Those rumours are nonsense. I swear I could not have released anything even if I wanted to. And take that literally. <=-)>
2002-04-12 12:04
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Is that joysticks or joypads.. need further clarification.

The rumour is two joysticks, but they're both Quickshots [wiggles eyebrows suggestively]
2002-04-12 13:45
anonym

Quote: The rumour is two joysticks, but they're both Quickshots [wiggles eyebrows suggestively]

I shall believe you ;-) Love your stuff, btw!

/Frank
2002-04-12 14:34
Stryyker

joy!

I don't know how people can doubt the scene is dying. It really is, especially outside the parties. The main releases away from parties are diskmags and some of them are released at the parties which is a shame. Swapper seem to find it harder to get non party releases to spread around. That is one reason I will not contribute to the parties (I can't make anything worthwhile as it's beyond my ability). Some people try. Too bad life destroyed the scene for so many.
2002-04-12 14:41
Dwangi

c64 scene dying ?? dont know.... but there is no newcommers on the c64 anymore.
2002-04-12 15:40
hollowman

ofcourse the scene is dying in a longer perspective, but when i started out in the scene in 95 the swedish scene pretty much sucked and hardly any swedish demos were released. it was a bit disturbing that we in alter were told that we were lame and that our demos were shit(those opinions were ofcourse partly true), but still noone would compete with us at the parties we attended in the country. with the releases at lcp2000&2001 and floppy 2001&2002 i would say that the swedish scene is much more healthy than it was when i entered. plus the fact that in my eyes, many of the demos released today are interesting. when i look back at the demos released a few years ago, many of them dont interest me at all anymore.
2002-04-12 17:01
CyberBrain
Administrator

Maybe the scene is dying in a LONG perspective, but people said that the scene was gonna die very soon back in 1995 too, so it seems to me like we've got a lotta years left. (coz there're still a lotta stuff cummin' out even 7 years later)

So i don't think you should worry *too* much.

(and if you've forgot it: C64 will never die!)
2002-04-12 17:40
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Maybe the scene is dying in a LONG perspective, but people said that the scene was gonna die very soon back in 1995 too, so it seems to me like we've got a lotta years left. (coz there're still a lotta stuff cummin' out even 7 years later)

So i don't think you should worry *too* much.

(and if you've forgot it: C64 will never die!)

i remember [leans on zimmer frame and looks reflective] back when the Amiga came out and everyone said the C64 was going to die soon... =-)
2002-04-12 21:39
Black Belt Jones
Account closed

Quote: c64 scene dying ?? dont know.... but there is no newcommers on the c64 anymore.

HOLD ON THERE! "i'm here!" and I feel I have potential and something to offer in the near future, Im just trying to hone my skills in at the moment.

BTW, has anyone ever tried to GET new people into the scene? I have many non 64 mates who come down for a beer and a few smokes around the 64 and watch demos with me all the time. Its only gonna take a little talking to get them into the scene and making gfx or music, maybe not any coding though!

You would not believe how many of my mates have been shocked after showing them Krestology or Soiled Legacy or ~whatever.... they always want to see more. This has gotta say something.

But if some groups feel like they are starving for ideas, Im sorry if this next idea has been done already, but remember I'm not a master YET! Why dont groups bring in some sort of a director/concept designer to almost "WRITE" the movie on paper, the coder give them a few demos to show what they are capapble of, then the designer starts writing, on paper, a rough intro concept, storyline, mood swings in the music. ending etc.... kinda lets the wizard coders do their magic, rather than drop off the scene when they run dry with ideas.

Im working on a few mates at the moment and who knows, maybe if between us we find a coder, well have a new crew! Im sure as the months go on many people like me are deciding to make the step from just a member of the audience to being IN the scene. mabye heaps of them are just reading C64Db, c64.ch, c64.sk, lemon64.com like I used to and are thinking, I wish I could be involved but I cant do ANYTHING on the 64.

Maybe we need to have some sort of FAQ pages on the net of how to become a graphician, musician or coder. Imagine, reading a document:
"so you want to be a graphician, first you need to get yourself a copy of..........."
i guarantee well get many newbies like me who have been waiting years to finally develop some sort of ability and GET INVOLVED, C64 will live forever!!!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
jmin
Krill/Plush
Alakran_64
Airwolf/F4CG
theK/ATL
Unlock/Padua/Albion