Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Kick Assembler Thread 2
2009-07-21 17:20
Slammer

Kick Assembler Thread 2

The previous thread took a little long to load, so this is a new fresh one..

... 590 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-07-03 10:23
TWW

Quote: Oh, I forgot

3) Passing nothing to a macro parameter results in null. Or allow defaults for parameters, making the parameter optional.

You can do this with pseudocommands (allows "null" parameters).

I.e. add16 $1000 : #100 : (optional destination)

Depending on what it is you want to do, you can #define 'something' which alters the behavior of a macro (example):

#define WhateverCondition
:MyMacro(a, b)
#undefine WhateverCondition

#if WhateverCondition {
.MyMacro(a, b) {}
}
#else{
.MyMacro(a) {}
}

Or simply make 2 macros, one normal and one stable. But yes agree it would be a nice addition.
2023-07-03 16:01
Stone

At one point I will ask myself:

"Am I not a man of many resources? Do I have but one tool in my toolchest? Must I be eternally bound by forces beyond my reckoning?"

And I shall hope to answer:

"Nay! I am a programmer! I refuse to be a slave to the limitations of my assembler! Henceforth I shall take destiny into my own hands! I shall make use of Python, C++ and their ilk to produce code and data as I see fit! I shall use Makefiles so that my time and powers of conversion are not unduly wasted! Then I shall be the master of my domain and I shall be at peace."
2023-07-04 07:39
Bitbreaker

Quoting Stone

And I shall hope to answer:

"Nay! I am a programmer! I refuse to be a slave to the limitations of my assembler! Henceforth I shall take destiny into my own hands! I shall make use of Python, C++ and their ilk to produce code and data as I see fit! I shall use Makefiles so that my time and powers of conversion are not unduly wasted! Then I shall be the master of my domain and I shall be at peace."

Such true words, let the assembler stay what it is, the tool that helps you a bit to not enter your code as hex, not less, not more, it is there for the dirty work. In my view there's no need for it to handle high-level language programming like javascript or lua. There's compilers and interpreters for those languages on their own, each of them also brings their own syntax highlighting, if you favour that. I know, we wish it to be comfortable as much as possible, but in the end it is an assembler, and not acompiler and thus subjected to certain restrictions that we need to accept. We love restrictions, right? :-)
2023-07-04 08:38
TWW

Wasn't there like a 'bitching topic' or something people could ramble in???

If a thread sets off your (insert whatever 3-4 letter diagnosis which suits your condition) to the point where you (IN A DEDICATED THREAD TO A SPECIFIC TOOL) are compelled to call other people idiots for using said tool, here a simple solution: Don't comment or better yeat don't even read it, instead make another thread called ‘idiots who uses other tools than I’ or whatever and cut the trolling shit...
2023-07-05 12:54
Stone

I tried to humorously point out that all tools have their limitations, even something as flexible as Kick Asm. I use at least 4 assemblers regularly and one of them is Kick Asm but when I get into a situation where I need interlinked code/table generation or some kind of data conversion I usually use an offline tool or script, not because the problem can't be solved in my assembler but because it is easier to debug my own program and it does exactly what I want it to do, no more and no less. Of course, trying to solve a problem within the limitations of your chosen tool can be a fun and rewarding challenge in itself even though it may not be the most productive way.

What I think is specific to this thread (and the Facebook group) is that users seem to ask for increasingly obscure features to be added to the assembler to solve their edge cases instead of taking a step back and look at how we work.
2023-07-06 10:38
Bitbreaker

Quote: Wasn't there like a 'bitching topic' or something people could ramble in???

If a thread sets off your (insert whatever 3-4 letter diagnosis which suits your condition) to the point where you (IN A DEDICATED THREAD TO A SPECIFIC TOOL) are compelled to call other people idiots for using said tool, here a simple solution: Don't comment or better yeat don't even read it, instead make another thread called ‘idiots who uses other tools than I’ or whatever and cut the trolling shit...

Okay, i understand, that you are not interested in valid criticism, new perspectives and growth and prefer to silence those voices by being plain rude and insulting, to stay on the comfortable side. Accepted. Have a nice day.
2023-07-06 11:40
ChristopherJam

TWW, nobody called anyone an idiot. If you're reading that between the lines, that's between you and the people you made up in your head.

And really, there's nothing wrong with reminding people that there are other tools that could augment their use of this one or any other. I can quite easily see a case for combinining KA's scripting with external generators for things that KA doesn't (yet) support :)
2023-07-06 17:07
Krill

But does KA support canonical 6502 ASM syntax (like "symbol = $1234" without .var or .const) now? =)
2023-07-07 14:58
TWW

Some clarification is needed, so here goes:

@Stone: Your first post used sarcasm to ‘humorously’ make it’s point. Sarcasm implies expression of contempt or ridicule and there is no need for that and it pissed me off. I see though my answer was perhaps a tad ‘direct’ and it would probably have been better to shut the fuck up and ignore it, but done is done.

@ Bitbreaker: Your response backed up the first one – hence it was de-facto guilty of the same sarcasm. Again, I should off course have shut the fuck up, but sometimes things just piss you off and the planets align and all that. However now you have gotten to be rude back (incapable of growth etc… (which surely probably isn’t a wrong assumption, but still it’s rude to point it out)) so 2 – 1 to you I guess and agreed, have a nice day to you too.

@ CJ: The response was issued due to the aforementioned sarcasm, and perhaps it was a mistake to assume people saw the same. Hope it’s clarified now. And for sure nothing wrong with a friendly remainder, but this matter has been debated and argued over and over, again and again and honestly there is no need for further reminders. I have just previously chosen to stay out of those discussions as in my opinion, people must enjoy their hobby any way they see fit without the snide comments.

@ Krill: No it doesen't (which you surely know) but I really didn’t want to get into any this assembler vs. that assembler and exactly what I was trying to avoid in this thread. I am not thrilled about the syntax of some other assemblers however I try to keep it to myself.

Now I would for sake of good order want to clarify: All of you guys are much more capable coders than I. And for sure your production methods are no doubt in a different league. In short, I respect your skills and the way you obviously handle your productions and I am in no way criticising your way of doing things. And be sure if I ever have questions about moving on to other tools, I would highly appreciate your input (there are even internal ‘forces’ pushing in this direction and probably where things will end up).

Meanwhile, as a complete hobbyist doing this for my own enjoyment, I reserve the right to report bugs, post questions and propose features to this tool I enjoy working with without becoming the next victim of the ‘makefile’ hyena pack… Oppps.. Weeelll fuck it, Bitbreaker, guess it’s 2-2…..
2023-07-07 16:47
Krill

Quoting TWW
@ Krill: No it doesen't (which you surely know) but I really didn’t want to get into any this assembler vs. that assembler and exactly what I was trying to avoid in this thread. I am not thrilled about the syntax of some other assemblers however I try to keep it to myself.
I'd keep my mouth shut if it was only about choosing the quirks of one assembler over the quirks of the other. :)

Alas, it isn't - if you cannot avoid other assemblers being involved.

Consider a 3rd party library - let's say, a loader. =)

The most basic and portable way to include it is via some sort of .incbin to statically link its binary.

The problem is that the symbols definition file with the relevant call and zeropage variable addresses and some other constants (included via some sort of .include) needs to be understood by your assembler - if you want to have clean code, at least.

It doesn't get simpler than "install = $1000" and "load = $2000" etc. (which is understood by pretty much each and every other 6502 assembler) then "jsr install" etc., and yet... need to "convert" that stuff in the include file to work with KA. Bit annoying.
Previous - 1 | ... | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Menace/Spaceballs
sln.pixelrat
FunFun/Triangle
Ghostrider/No Name
Falborg
d0c