Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Television Video Mode Motion Blur Reduction
2023-11-05 16:54
Mr SQL

Television Video Mode Motion Blur Reduction

MBR is a video mode built into Television sets that a parallel researcher and I discovered over 10 years ago.

Moderator Count Zero encouraged me build a Motion Blur Reduction demo for the Commodore 64 so I ported my Atari code to the C64 to a released production that you can read about here near the bottom of the thread:

ALLEGED "New Double Resolution Double Color graphics mode"

It seems to me Motion Blur is also a new video mode since it's the inverse of Motion Blur Reduction.

Motion Blur Reduction is supported under emulation and on LCD, but I think it's interesting to be able to demo double the resolution and colors on classic 80's hardware from the controlled Motion Blur.

Are they really video modes?

Share your thoughts on both!
2023-11-05 17:55
Raistlin

Nothing to do with video modes, no.

If I drink 15 pints of beer and look at the screen through a pair of binoculars, as much as I’d love to think it is, no, it’s not a new graphics mode either.
2023-11-05 18:08
Krill

Quoting Raistlin
If I drink 15 pints of beer and look at the screen through a pair of binoculars, as much as I’d love to think it is, no, it’s not a new graphics mode either.
But did you try squinting and tilting your head a bit?
2023-11-05 19:48
iAN CooG

Squish both eyeballs to add some red tint
2023-11-06 02:58
Mr SQL

Quoting Raistlin
Nothing to do with video modes, no.

Quoting Krill
Quoting Raistlin
But did you try squinting and tilting your head a bit?

Quoting iAN CooG
Squish both eyeballs to add some red tint

lol pretty funny! :)

Another moderator has asked me to code a demo to illustrate this point so we could talk about it with a frame of reference. That's encouraging, so here is that demo.

Alright I have added the full complement of MBR filters to StarBlitz Double fun! :)

http://relationalframework.com/starblitzdblfun.prg

Launch the program and try a few rounds, then either use shift-lock or hold left shift if you have an old version of VICE and you will see the difference playing with the MBR filter off.

Fx:
The City is clear by default with the filter on, and the falling Meteors, Commets and score power ups are clear to read. The initial scrolling text is also super clear without motion blur like the Defender III title screen.

With the filter off, the City also is crooked (extra Fx) and you see the pleasant motion blur effect that doesn't quite work in VICE to show the extra pixels clearly or the extra colors at all, but still looks good as a nice effect.

You can read more about this program on the AtariAge Impossible City thread here:
https://forums.atariage.com/topic/250391-impossible-city/

Both modes are fun to play and it's interesting to switch between them; just like real life, the City can look impossibly phat and crooked without rose colored glasses ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9VU1aJvTI
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
jmin
Menace/Spaceballs
Hypnosis/TSD
Digger/Elysium
Krill/Plush
TheRyk/MYD!