Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user tubesockor ! (Registered 2024-05-12) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Looking for Journals and diaries..
2006-04-20 19:28
Bones99

Looking for Journals and diaries..

Hi ..

I'm looking for Programmers journals and diaries, that describe the full life-cycle of a project from planning to implementation .. I remember there were a few of these in ZZap! magazine (Walkers game journal... I think).

The reason I 'd like to read some of these, is that I'd like to improve my own work process (For work and hobby) in programming , I tend to be all over the place, when I write a program and realize that this often costs me a lot of time later and causes problems in the program.

I'd like to plan and develop a roadmap , but I'm having a lot of difficulty developing these skills as I dont know where to start.
Things like , if you are retro-engineering a game (hacking it ) or demo. how do you journal your progress, and lay out the information in a meaningfull way would be usefull too (Sometimes working backwards is better than working fowards).

If anyone has any good information about this subject, I'd really appreciate it .

Thanks
2006-04-22 08:32
PopMilo

As you said...

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/walkersway.html

And there are more, just use search on www.zzap64.co.uk for "diary"
2006-04-23 06:02
Style

I dunno how informative these types of things would be. There isnt a lot of detail on the processes overall, and these guys werent supremely organised anyway.

2006-04-23 08:17
cadaver

Yeah, as far as I remember there are detailed descriptions of some archaic development setups, and of travelling in the UK, but that isn't terribly helpful for what you intend to do..?
2006-04-23 10:03
T.M.R
Account closed

Most of the dev setups are just stock hardware; Braybrook's Paradroid diary has him changing things at the last minute and working out the deck plans on paper and typing the tile data into the assembler as hex (as well as 1541s causing disk errors), Jeff Minter's Iridis Alpha diary talks about his C128 development machine (and leaving it in France, if memory serves) as well as going into a little detail about some of the routines, but Yak himself admits to evolving game designs rather than planning them. Braybrook's Morpheus diary talks about the joys of cross assembling from a 386 to assorted 8-bits and, again, changing the design at the last minute (and unexpected eye surgery) whilst Martin Walker's Citadel write up wanders off on several tangents, including the music for Armalyte...

They're great reads, but as blueprints on how to write a game it's the equivalent of going to MFI, buying a wardrobe and coming home to find that the plans are for a shed. In Japanese.
2006-04-23 11:35
Bones99

Quote: Most of the dev setups are just stock hardware; Braybrook's Paradroid diary has him changing things at the last minute and working out the deck plans on paper and typing the tile data into the assembler as hex (as well as 1541s causing disk errors), Jeff Minter's Iridis Alpha diary talks about his C128 development machine (and leaving it in France, if memory serves) as well as going into a little detail about some of the routines, but Yak himself admits to evolving game designs rather than planning them. Braybrook's Morpheus diary talks about the joys of cross assembling from a 386 to assorted 8-bits and, again, changing the design at the last minute (and unexpected eye surgery) whilst Martin Walker's Citadel write up wanders off on several tangents, including the music for Armalyte...

They're great reads, but as blueprints on how to write a game it's the equivalent of going to MFI, buying a wardrobe and coming home to find that the plans are for a shed. In Japanese.

LOL!

yeah .. you're right .. every single resource I have found has described a different work-process, and normally is evolving (or made up as we go along)

I did find this which is quite an interesting read if anyone is interested in this subject:

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/idea.htm
2006-04-23 12:08
raven
Account closed

'all over the place' works great for me so far ;)

RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/ibex-crew
d'Avid
d4ng3r
algorithm
hedning/G★P
celticdesign/G★P/M..