Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Double Screen Compo Voting
2011-05-08 15:10
v3to

Double Screen Compo Voting

Okay - all entries are in and it is time for voting.

Take your time and check the pictures properly. If you like to check it on a C64, I'd recommend to turn off the volume, because music tends to alter atmosphere. Now here come the rules:

---
CHOOSE 3 FAVORITES - NO MORE - NO LESS
SEND YOUR CHOICE VIA PM TO ENTHUSI OR ME
OR BY MAIL TO << COMPO[AT SPAMSUCKS]C64PIXELS[DOT]COM >>
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET YOUR HANDLE/GROUP OR NAME
---

Deadline for voting is June 7th 2011 (know it is a long term but c64pixels-visitors are watching random)

Good luck to all contestants !

---
Looking Outward by Celtic, code by Zielok
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Format: MultiColor

---
Monroe 6569 by Diggr
Format: Charmode

---
Asteroidmine by Grass, code by Cruzer

---
The Raven by Dane
Additional content according compo rules: Dark red and dark grey are laced

---
CARGO by Twoflower, code by Cruzer
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Picture format: MultiColor, 4-colors, Colorscheme is matching Charmode

---
A Kind of Magic by Yazoo, code by Axis
Additional content according compo rules: Music, scrolltext (can be disabled by pressing spacebar)
Picture format: MultiColor

... 195 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-16 23:07
PAL

Just a thought, this is far out maybe but worth the post in my mind:

In the past there were so much great stuff both visual and audio, and coding... A lot of the things that made the c64 great for me I have later learned that were stolen, ripped, altered, violated and raped, taken a step further, came together from different sources, were original, were just cool but again based on ideas or art from others and so on...

Is this not the scene we love? For me it is in a way... I think a lot of making the scene more professional and everything must be sorted out and be super documented and strict will in the end lead to the very death of the scene we love. If it must all be so damn tight why should one create and invest so much time on the c64? Then I would more do a professional work that I get paied to do maybe... I see this is also happening in the pc scene and so on... everything is getting so close to professional work that it in the end is another job we have and not a fun all is allowed hobby that is just for the fun of doing something on the old breadbin, let us all face the facts, it is outdated, it is weird and it is really strange to be doing and again investing so much time on this machine...

LET US JUST HAVE FUN!!!! Let us embrace what we, different members of a dying breeth love and let us just rest with that... then it is fun, it is like just doing something for you, and them and all we know... It is getting tiersome this arguments in a way...

The scene is about doing something and getting away with it also, maybe in a greater way than we all think... I urge all to think ofthis as something fun, no matter what... it is silly to make this into something more professional and it will, trust me on this, just be the start of the end!

No one loves 1 to 1 convertions anyway so what is the problem? Hubbard is great because he stole, and used what he stole in a great way... this also apply for code and graphics and ideas in my mind!

The biggest problem for the artists in the double screen compo is that they were busted in a great and hard way... If they were not some would love them more... like hubbard in the past... still hubbard holds something special because he really did something more with what he stole and created his own thing, and he were blessed to be on another medium than the mainstream too... like we all are even today! Hubbard ofcourse did original his own too... but the most loved ones are mostly inspired by others in a way... hmmm... here I go... the lamer I am talking about great artists like Hubbard... well it just have to be that way. Hubbard got busted years later from more people, back then things went slower and communication were different... that is it, today we can test all things all the time on the touch of a fingertip... he got busted, but were a hero before that and we all loved his work more than the originals he stole from because we as strange humans just love the boundries of the c64 and its sound and look and all.

We are the bluebox and cracker generation... what is that? it were based on stealing god damn it! We started this motherfucker of a thing called the scene... It were the very start of the scene right there... STEALING!

What is really the difference in stealing a tune and making a c64 version of that tune and the stealing of a picture and doing a version for the c64? What is the fundamental difference? Linus did ashes to ashes in the crest slide show demo, I love that version, It is super... but it is bowies track... why is linus great for doing that when pixel artists are lame doing stuff from inspiration?

1 to 1 converts in software we all agree is lame, but what if some artist used 30-50 hours doing it perfect? is that lame? I think it is great!

Go on, create something that is fun or interesting or something, just do it!

PS: mermaid... You have something really special and I love you for that, you are uniqe and really totally out of this world... we all love you for that! STE I love you too, you have standards and are different than mermaid and a lot others... I love people doing great things on this weird machine and I do love it to differ in all ways... love it...

PSS: I think my last ninja in another beginning is really really awesome and a perfect starter for us when returning, history, feelings and mood... I used minimum 50 hours on that... am I lame for doing so? I wanted to give you a all best superiour last ninja face on the c64 because I really think you wanted to see it much greater than the original, the original in our minds beeing an epic c64 image, here the original by the way: http://www.lemon64.com/games/screenshots/full/l/last_ninja_01.g.. ... and here is my version: http://noname.c64.org/csdb/gfx/releases/94000/94448.png - I just wanted to create something that I would want to see and I thought everyone else would think is really cool... So I did a (my c64) version of the last ninja, the BEST VERSION EVER in my mind by a million and I really think that is something due to history and the fact that the last ninja were something really great in my life... maybe I have not seen other ninja retakes that are as great but I think my version is the peak of last ninja images and I am really proud of that, not feeling lame about that one at all... standing tall, above normal, abnormal that is... so proud of that one! For me that is a epic image done in plain koala format with its double pixels and all... it is the c64 for me... but I stole the inspiration... I admit that... but guess you already figured that out?

PSSS: the entries in the double screen compo do lack the personal touch and some really are booring stright converts... so I really do understand the thing here... sorry for long post!

Your PAL
2011-05-17 06:17
Mermaid

Quoting PAL
I more or less agree with everyone who has ever posted in this thread, really!

Yep, yep.

To repeat myself for the 2751928365th time, if people want to copy instead of making something of their own, fine, but entering the copies in a competition, not so fine.

Quoting STE'86
In your opinion

In my opinion.
2011-05-17 06:44
Sander

Could we sum it up to this:

Pixel art competitions
- No wiring of another artist's work.
- If doing a copy, be very explicit about it and provide the reference.
- Encourage and reward originality.

Outside competitions
- Be honest about your workflow.

(And tbh, I'd love to see pixel art compos exclude copies too.)
2011-05-17 09:13
Hein

Agreed, if you participate too :)

Honestly, I don't mind people copying a picture and enter it in a gfx compo. If they win, unfair, lovely unfair like life. But it's the 'artist' who's copying, not the jury. I'd laugh my head of if Celtic wins. The way he cheated the audience, isn't that worth a prize?
2011-05-17 09:25
Celtic
Administrator

excuse me? cheated the audience?
2011-05-17 09:28
Hein

Not? My bad. :)
2011-05-17 09:36
Celtic
Administrator

Well, before enterring i asked veto's permission and told him about how i made it. Also i have provided the original pic to mermaid so she could make the 1x1 animation to show Dane wasn't the only one doing this. Also on c64pixels both original artist and prodeuction company was mentioned.

I was not the one posting the original pic, because i was away the weekend the pics were uploaded.

I never lied or cheated anyone, and quite take offence when people say i did.

your bad indeed :)
2011-05-17 09:48
Hein

It's up to you to do the things you like, don't get me wrong. Still, I feel kinda cheated (and yes, also by Dane and not sure how Digger did his picture).

The motivation for wiring might be to win, to waste some time or maybe to investigate graphics closely.
2011-05-17 10:12
Sander

Quote: It's up to you to do the things you like, don't get me wrong. Still, I feel kinda cheated (and yes, also by Dane and not sure how Digger did his picture).

The motivation for wiring might be to win, to waste some time or maybe to investigate graphics closely.

I gotto agree on this sentiment. That's exactly how i feel about it too.
Admtted - it was allowed by the compo rules, however from an 'artist' point of view it's VERY derative, and thus feels like cheating. Eventhough it was not.
2011-05-17 10:49
Celtic
Administrator

for me it was not about competing or winning, but about creating a nice 2 screener and have fun while doing it. And supporting the awesome compo idea with some gfx.

i respect all opinions, but like i said, i dont like to be called something i am not. But i understand that in a way it may feel that way.

Previous - 1 | ... | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | ... | 21 | 22 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Grue/Extend
Guests online: 121
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)