Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > World Record Database
2023-11-03 03:48
NoiseEHC

World Record Database

Hi!

Is there anybody who knows if there is some kind of world record database? If there is none then are there people interested in creating one in a wiki? I am thinking about creating a paragraph of the effect description of "every" demo ever released (which have world records or new effects of course), and to group the effects into categories. For example "sprite multiplexers" would be a category, listing record numbers/years going up to Crest's 120/170 sprite records (each one a link to the respective demo).

Anybody interested?
Thanks,
Noise/EHC

... 33 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-11-19 08:56
NoiseEHC

Quoting Mr SQL
I tried to find the prg or d64 with the demo but only saw md files where I expected to find the demo.

You have to click the part itself (for technical reasons) and on the bottom of the page there is a download link. I will probably change this to be more usable then, just it was very awkward to work with this statis site generator and gave up... :)
2023-11-19 08:58
NoiseEHC

Quote: Is this only limited to effects in demos? What if the effect is first used in a game?

Only demo effects. But if a demo effect was first used in a game then I would like to know about for sure! :)
2023-11-19 18:00
Raistlin

As with Krill, I want to know the names of some of these PowerPoint demos :-) … you can’t just drop that bombshell and then not name them ;) … the groups behind those demos will already know what they have, they’re not going to be offended by you pigeon holing their demo.

As for a database of demos and their records/effects, I honestly can’t see it happening. The amount of work to do that would be a massive amount - and just so that a few of us can quickly go onto the site to find out whether we have a “first” or a “record”? I’d rather see the tagging system on CSDb that people keep asking for - but that ain’t happening either I’m told.
2023-11-19 18:10
Raistlin

Also… I can’t believe that I’m agreeing with Krill so much today… but… he’s right, again, about that there are of course going to be less and less “firsts” and inventions. That’s just how things work. Most things. Go invent some “new” cocktail, or a new pasta dish.. that doesn’t taste like absolute shit of course. It’s not easy. In the 80s, you would have new C64 effects, and new hardware tricks, in every part of a Crest demo. New graphic modes, new crazy DYCPs, etc etc..

Now? Trying to think of something new is hard. Bloody, damned hard.

My last “creation” was that “finite bobs” part in No Bounds. Not even 1% original. But still worth doing I think - the nearest I’d seen to that was in Hoaxers’ “fREUd”. A REU demo (where, of course, the effect was easy - no need for all the complex memory copying and compression because they simply had a shit ton of memory to use). But i can’t call it a first. A damned hard thing to code, 100%, but it’s the merging of 20 different things that people have invented before me into one effect.

In the 80s, for the time it took me to make that, I could’ve made 15-20 new effects.
2023-11-20 10:51
NoiseEHC

Quoting Raistlin
My last “creation” was that “finite bobs” part in No Bounds. Not even 1% original. But still worth doing I think - the nearest I’d seen to that was in Hoaxers’ “fREUd”. A REU demo (where, of course, the effect was easy - no need for all the complex memory copying and compression because they simply had a shit ton of memory to use). But i can’t call it a first. A damned hard thing to code, 100%, but it’s the merging of 20 different things that people have invented before me into one effect.

If "it’s the merging of 20 different things that people have invented before" then that is a new effect. I would be the happiest coder if I could see demos made only parts like that.

The site was reworked, as I found out that on github you can have your own build system running, and that way I can use the already existing jekyll-archives plugin. So now there are /category, /effect, /year and /year/month pages which work as filters. You do not have to create /group, /demo and /effect .md files anymore, so it is easier to create entries.

The Date of an entry now is a link which goes to CSDb where you can download it.

I will create a "how to create a pull request using only github web", as it seems that not everyone can use github, which I did not expect to be honest.

Updated the contribution guide to be more specific:
"How to name effects and what is and is not in the effect category is highly subjective, discuss it in the CSDb forum before starting a flamewar. Note that while we try not to judge demo parts, it is not possible to avoid that: it happens when you decide that an effect is so commonplace that it is now a “filler” part, while some time ago it was considered a notable effect. Another judgment happens because the same effect can be used for differently looking things (for example the colorcycling with animated bitmaps is used in like hundreds of different parts, and some of them look different), and it is quite subjective whether it is considered the same effect or a different one. Unfortunately we have to draw the line somewhere not to flood this database with only that one effect, but on the other hand it could be also argued that almost all VIC effects are just $d011 changing code, and so that they are all the same."
2023-11-21 23:43
Mr SQL

Quoting NoiseEHC

The Date of an entry now is a link which goes to CSDb where you can download it.

On the code tab I see the date of an entry as 2 days ago, but it is not a hyperlink.

Which tab or page has the date of the entry with the link to thel prg or D64?
2023-11-22 15:30
NoiseEHC

Quote: Quoting NoiseEHC

On the code tab I see the date of an entry as 2 days ago, but it is not a hyperlink.

Which tab or page has the date of the entry with the link to thel prg or D64?

For example on this page: https://noiseehc.github.io/c64wrd/effect/chessboard/

Maybe you have to Ctrl+F5. But if it is not obvious then I will change it again (and link the Year/Month with the date).

BTW I found this today:
Hohlhippe

They made in 1993 the Hues:
Hues

LOL :)
2023-11-22 21:41
Raistlin

Quote: For example on this page: https://noiseehc.github.io/c64wrd/effect/chessboard/

Maybe you have to Ctrl+F5. But if it is not obvious then I will change it again (and link the Year/Month with the date).

BTW I found this today:
Hohlhippe

Hues

That’s also the sort of thing where it’s hard to say “X did it first”… unless it’s a named method, like a well known, named type of colour blending, how can we ever say who did it first?
2023-11-23 01:48
NoiseEHC

Quote: That’s also the sort of thing where it’s hard to say “X did it first”… unless it’s a named method, like a well known, named type of colour blending, how can we ever say who did it first?

Yeah, agree.

I really like the Hues demo, it was beautiful and perfectly executed. That is why it was so surprising that the effect itself has been done 30 years ago. I think I have seen Hohlhippe (or maybe not), but even if I saw it back then, I did not remember this part at all. If only there would be a list of effects done before... :)

ps: BTW since yesterday I now have TWO never been done $d011 effects. Ok, I am not sure about the "never been done" part...
2023-11-23 06:23
Mr SQL

Quoting NoiseEHC
For example on this page: https://noiseehc.github.io/c64wrd/effect/chessboard/

BTW I found this today:
Hohlhippe

Hues

Thank you I found it, very cool!

I was just checking out the Chessboarding demo, the link is here:
https://noiseehc.github.io/c64wrd/graffity/justinblue/cheesboar..

I never noticed it because I never scrolled down, I thought that was a popup decision page where I could go to the discussion forum or to view it on github.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Drees
Fungus/Nostalgia
Mikron
Moloch/TRIAD
Guests online: 151