Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Composers' real life
2009-03-27 07:48
Hermit

Composers' real life

Hi, 8bitters

I'm always wondering what the C64 composers are doing in real life, of course not their private lives but musical.

For example, I know that Reyn Ouwehand is a live instrumental musician, I'm very proud of it, but dunno about a lot others whom I rarely see on CSDB.

e.g. I've managed several times to get reply from Jeroen Tel, Shogoon, and I saw them with guitars on some pictures..and I'm very curious if they are playing in band or compose on other platforms, etc.

I love Cosmic and its alternative bass and also wondering during listening if Stainless Steel is a funky-musician.

If you have news about them to share with us, or if you are a composer and want to tell about your activities, it's the topic I think.
This can help us by knowing where they got the influences/motivation from, how they could make these great compositions.

E.g. I'm mainly a bass player & singer, I have a pop-band, but my best dream is to play in a C64 remixer band, like "Press Play On Tape."

If you're interested in this topic, I'm excitedly waiting for replies.
READY.

Hermit Software Hungary

... 92 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-03-27 10:06
Hermit

Good to hear, SS. You should make Cosmic in live if haven't.:)

A little about me:
I'm working for T-Systems ISP in Hungary, and unfortunately have not a lot of time for practicing C64 basses on my Yamaha 5 string bass, because I'm coder on the other hand for Scene and KolibriOS...
(I can play Dazzler bass on 5 string..hard, later remix comes.. :)

I'm very curious how the band of Laxity plays. Any link or recordings?
Drax, what about you? I like very much your Drunken Driver and
Bug off, and Destiny..etc. especially from bass perspective.

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 10:11
Intensity
Account closed

I am signed at Bonzai Records for Chillout/Ambient Music, and also under Aardvark Records for Electrotrance and Hard Techno Music.

The c64 merely plays a role in my productions.
2009-03-27 10:37
Hermit

A lot of things to listen! :)

Are any of the PPOT members on CSDB or related to C64 composing somehow? Or C64 orchestra members? Or Visa Roster?

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 10:50
Linus

hey,

used to run a small a label, did some c64 music with vocals (http://www.myspace.com/minimelodies), played synths and bass and composed for a lot of experimental bands (http://www.modulator.de http://www.myspace.com/bitchreport e.g.), did a soundtrack for a Wii game, worked for a radioplay etc etc etc. to pay the bills i work as a web-developer tho :)
2009-03-27 11:16
Conrad

I'm not a real musician in real life (and I don't think I'll have enough courage to either), though currently I'm using my C/C++/ASM skillz to develop some third-road music tracker/sequencer editor, using my own design rather than taking ideas from the older and more successful ones. Therefore I don't know how this will turn out to be for a commercial product... currently it's a third year project which involves a huge report covering the analysis, design, implementation, testing, critical review and all that bollocks :). If they are nice enough, they will allow me to continue developing it in my leisure time, so I'll see how it turns out in the future.

Before all of this, I haven't been involved with any bands or such... just playing some keyboards at school and also played the drums a few times there, some people thought I was good, but not enough to say "you should form a band." :)

So I guess the nearest I'll be with music creation will be with the SID, since that's what I've been doing since 1998.
2009-03-27 11:44
Hermit

Not because Conrad being Samar member, I like Foggy nights, and others so, that's why I can encourage you to play...this composition sounds for me in head like a real live-music, and should be played..

To fix my point of view: Somehow I like C64 more than most live-music. It can only be because of the great composition achievements..it's fact they're perfect when translated to e.g. a symphonic orchestra.
Somehow (reason maybe limits) C64 composers did great work in composing compared to most live-bands-in my opinion.
And lot of great bands lack good composers. So if C64 good composers would form a band, it would be great base for live-playing.
That's why I encourage C64 composers to try live-music. Their great musical ideas taken from C64 past would be a present for the 21th century average people.

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 11:45
Hermit

Who nows about Jeroen Tel, he can play Bass..but oly for recordings?

Hermit Software Hungary
2009-03-27 11:57
psych

hi Hermit and others,

In 'real life' I'm a financial advisor. I'll be a father in few months and I'm a quiet busy guy. I used to play in a band on drums and little bit on keyboard. SID sound is my truly love since I was 13 years old :) I had 10 years break (1996-2006) and I came back to SID composing.
2009-03-27 12:51
Deev

I'm a bit like Archmage, do the pixels on the c64, but I do various musical things outside the scene. I have a couple of synths and also have a guitar and bass. I play the guitar badly...I play the bass even worse. I make music on my own and I've also done bits with a friend. Mostly shoe-gazey, dream poppy kinda sound, though it sometimes gets a bit more electronic. I basically have a fondness for tonnes of reverb or delay on everything. Oh...and I also do my own vocals, plus I'm pretty good at being the singer on PS3 "Rock Band" :)
2009-03-27 13:05
Archmage

Hey, Deev! Move to Oslo. We'll hang out, drink beer, pixel and make music. ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
skull
Didi/Laxity
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Ax!s/Onslaught - TND
dillof
Guests online: 146