Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > Cross-Development
2002-05-18 19:11
Eyeth
Account closed

Cross-Development

Hello.

I'd like to use my PC for cross-developing for the C64/128 line of computers.

What assembler do you coders reccommend on the PC side? I need an assembler that can support temporary labels like +, -, 10$:, etc. It needs to support relative assembly where I would assemble code that runs at $xxxx or intended for drive code but is at somewhere else. (The program would move such code at runtime to $xxxx or the disk drive, etc.) It needs to assemble into PRG's with the lo/hi load byte header and as well as PRG's without this lo/hi byte load header such as datafiles. Of course, it needs to support labels.

What else should I take a look at? I already know about PuCrunch by Pasi Ojala. Are there any PC tools out there that easily aids cross-development for the c64?

Before anyone should criticize cross-developing, I am into this to save time and have fun doing it and as well as releasing some C64/128 software. A PC running at 1GHz, etc. all makes developing for the c64/128 painlessly and fun. :)

Thanks,
-Todd Elliott

... 19 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-08-26 00:27
Stryyker

I also noticed Bigfoot/Breeze has ANSI C source of Taboo DOS version of Turbo Assembler, now I need Level Crusher :)
2003-03-11 03:42
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, CSDb'ers-

So far, I've been using the cc65 programming suite for the bulk of my cross-development work. [www.cc65.org] The ca65 assembler is pretty powerful and flexible for my needs. In addition, GEOS support is nearly complete.

However, the cc65 programming suite didn't come with a text editor and I want to use a text editor while in Red Hat Linux 8.0. I've asked this question on the cc65 mailing list, but I figure maybe I can get more leads by posting here.

Specifically, I want a text editor that has syntax highlighting capabilities. I've tried the Bluefish editor that is optimized for web development and I was impressed. Syntax highlighting made the source code a whole lot easier to read and debug. I want the same thing for 6502 development, where opcodes, data statements, comments and directives (psuedo-ops) are highlighted, etc.

Don't suggest vi or emacs. Both are too hard to use. I've heard of GUI versions of those programs, but I'm too lazy to figure out these GUI versions, much less download them and compile them.

Thanks,
-Todd Elliott
2003-03-11 07:41
Puterman
Account closed

A friend of mine claims that sooner or later, every programmer has to write his own text editor. If you can't be bothered to learn to use a real editor, maybe you should write your own.
2003-03-11 13:34
Nightlord
Account closed

actually emacs is just like having your own written text editor. i highly suggest everyone to invest just a month for the learning curve for emacs and e-lisp language(which most of emacs is written in) then you will never change your editor again... if you want a certain feature you go ahead and put it in fairly easily.

i spent the mentioned month about a year ago and am now a happy man to use my favorite editor in any platform for free...:)

i personally have been using acme assembler since i returned to the scene 2 months ago. it is fast and comfortable. but it seems to have problems on win98 platform. i use it on winxp with no problems...
2003-03-11 17:13
QuasaR

I think DocBacci had setup a IDE-like system for Linux. Try www.the-dreams.de ...
2003-03-11 17:13
CyberBrain
Administrator

If you don't like the long learning courve of emacs, and you're using windows, you could check textpad at www.textpad.org. Easy and powerful text-editor.
2003-04-24 10:34
Testicle
Account closed

hi to all,

i'm currently working on a windows-based text-editor, which is especially optimized for c64-asm-programming.

beside many useful text-editor-features, it also contains useful functions for asm-coding, source-codemanagement etc.

you can define up to three different emulators and up to three different cross-assembler (like ACME, DAsm, CA65, C64Asm etc.). syntax-highlighting is included. you can define own shortcuts for every single function.

if the setup is done (i.e. emulator and x-assembler are set), you can compile the source, run the emulator and execute your program just by pressing one key!

the program is at beta-status. that means: currently ACME is completely supported, DAsm is supported as well, but the syntax-highlighting is not 100% working now. C64asm and Ca65 sources can be compiled, but the syntax-highlighting is not implemented properly yet.

another thing: the program is only in german language. but if the full release is ready, i will also offer an english-languaged version.

for those, who understand german and want to test the program, get it here:

http://www.schergentoni.de/pg/xasm.zip (about 440kb)

i also recommand downloading the sample, as it explains the most important functions and the usage of the program:

http://www.schergentoni.de/pg/xasm-sample.zip (about 60kb)

feel free to send feedback, suggestions and so on to me:
daniel [at] popelgand [dot] de

thanks for your attention! :-)
2003-04-24 10:36
Testicle
Account closed

sorry, my mail-adress is:

daniel [at] popelganda [dot] de

there's an "a" missing in the post above...
2003-04-24 10:48
WVL

I'm using ConText for editing and 6502 Tass by taboo.. I made some .bat files to compile everything and 1541.exe (from ViCe) to make the .d64's. I use exomizer for crunching. Everything I need happens in one and the same .bat file. Hope it helps.. (btw, ConText is free, and so are the rest of the tools!)
2003-04-25 01:07
ccr

I currently use the following tools:
- assembler: XA by Andre Fachat (of VICE fame)
- emulator: VICE
- my own tools for gfx (bitmap, sprite, char) conversion, object linking, etc. written in ANSI-C.
- PUCrunch for packing
- joe or vi for editing.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
TheRyk/MYD!
kbs/Pht/Lxt
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
iAN CooG/HVSC
Steffan/BOOM!
hedning/G★P