Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Café Gheymaid (Café/Bar)
2007-11-05 16:12
Intensity
Account closed

Café Gheymaid (Café/Bar)

Hello to everyone!

I am planning to open a Café/Bar called "Gheymaid (Inc.)" - no joke! :D

But i need ideas.

Gheymaid Inc. is about C64, Coffee, Beer, Gheys, Twinks, Love, Retro Style and Ambient/Elektroclash/House Music. (Of course it should not be a Gay-Bar, but well something with a female happy touch maybe ROTFL :D) We have now a PC section, beside the C64 one, and soon maybe an Amiga section by the way, everyone is working on the trackmo that will be released at x2008, god willing (The music collection is planned for Spring 2008).

Anyways, how would you imagine a Café/Bar in Retro Style supporting terms like C64, Coffee, Beer, Gheys, Twinks, Love, Retro Style and Ambient/Elektroclash/House Music etc.?

Do you think such a café would be successfull, will it have any visitors? What has the bar to contain, how should I style it to have much visitors in your opinion?

Where would you place it? Rather in the inner city? How large it should be?

How could I implement SID and C64 and the movie Coffee & Cigarettes by Jim Jarmusch, or at least topic-similar elements into the café? First I thought about Chillout/Ambient/House, at least calming and café/bar-enganged SIDs and scene-music to be played.

Please give me every idea you have for maybe the first Commodore-Styled Café/Bar ever! :D

Last and important question: Would anyone around Frankfurt/Mainz/Hessen/Rhein-Main-Gebiet in Germany support me with this? Most Gheymaid members live outside germany, thats why i ask, otherwise i would have got help from *them*.

So shoot please and thanks in advance.

If ever, the café&bar will be opened in Frankfurt, Mainz Wiesbaden, while I would prefer Wiesbaden as it is my home city or Frankfurt am Main as it's a popular big city (maybe i could arrange something in the airport)

Love,

Arman

... 29 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-11-06 11:58
SIDWAVE
Account closed

I'd say go for it!

You can only fuck up, and then, what is really the problem!?

It could also become a rapid success!

Take the chance!

If the concept takes off, I am your new manager in Odense.dk shop!
2007-11-06 12:13
Sander

Glad someone brings up the word 'businessmodel'..
Sorry to bring this one up, but I'm afraid you're building sandcastles, arman.

So here's the crucial question: Do you have investors or have the money to finance your idea? If not, you'd need a businessmodel to convince the bank or investors.
2007-11-06 12:32
bugjam

@macx: Smoking was just recently banned from bars and restaurants in Hassia, and will be banned all over Germany with the start of ´08. :-/
2007-11-06 12:56
macx

Skip all the SID and c64 ideas, they are everything but primary. Stick to the 80s retro and perhaps put up a breadbin somewhere.
2007-11-06 13:17
Intensity
Account closed

Thanks a lot for your kind and neat hints guys, please go on with it, i need more.

@sander : Well, surely i am building on sand castles as i have no clue about opening a café. But since i am a regular visitor of such etablissements and can think about gheymaid inc. café as a freaky students café, it might be a cool idea. How do all the other café-owners do it? They work, they collect money and there you go. The thing is just that i have my only financial root is a label contract and some help from the state. But i am sure that after starting to work i can collect enough money in some years to open such a buisness.

I have to ask also in other forums, but the idea of retro/gaming etc. is nice.

I have read once in a magazine about a café somewhere with a seprate room full of arcade game boxes.

Let's see.

Until then shoot some onions, ehh opinions please :D
2007-11-06 14:07
Steppe

Agree with macx, focus on a general retro theme if you want a broader audience. And don't project demos on a bigscreen, it ruins every conversation. I've been to a bar a couple of times where they show life concerts on a bigscreen. It always distracts your view and can really ruin a good conversation, I don't go there anymore just because of that stupid projector (as nice as it would be without it...).

The occasional C64 remix I think is ok, but don't overdo. People not used to that kind of music usually react kinda strange. Openmindedness isn't quite an inherent ability of humans, you know.
2007-11-06 14:25
HCL

Hehe, the average bunch of CSDb visitors is truly a solid reference to lean back on when it comes to running a café business ;). Maybe you should try talking to someone else also, before any investments..
2007-11-06 14:27
bugjam

First investment should be this one: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3544&item.. . :-)
It´s still up for grabs!
2007-11-06 14:42
ready.

Yes, I agree with Steppe, even if I suggested the projector thing. Actually what I had in mind was to have special evenings with a dedicated theme: be it C64 demos or videos from the '80s or whatever the theme would be for that evening. Not every evening, but from time too time.
2007-11-06 15:24
Intensity
Account closed

Steppe: Did the projector had the mentioned café had any sound? I mean I could show demos without sound and play regular scene/SID chillout sound as main music with a cd player.

But hey, I wonder where that café is, where I have read about in a magazine, damn. Was at the dentist and read about it, there i get the best ideas :D

Would you visit a bar at the evening and play some cool pac man, space invaders, street fighter 2 etc. later on after a drink? :D

Would be freaky :D

Damn, I just HAVE to realize that! :D

Give me like 666 years, until the Antichrist has come and gone, maybe there won't be any money anymore, then well, i can set up the café for free :D unfortunatley I have to say bye to everyone in csdb for that time decase, as I have to cut and freeze my head or something :D

I am talking shite again, well, uhm, greetings to Linus and Krill :D I am off.. :D

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Exploding Fi../Techn..
Jetboy/Elysium
Guests online: 88
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)