Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal
2023-12-22 18:03
Sander

Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal

Dear fellow sceners,

This is an attempt to get more understanding among, and for, C64 demoscene pixel artists. It’s not written to limit anyone, but a prayer for more transparency.

Read the document here: ->Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal<-

We tried to give define and value different processes. Which is a result of discussion, where we saw mutual grounds and felt the need to write these down.
We will update the document periodically, when enough input has been gathered and sorted out.

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on the subjects in the document.
Please post them in this thread.

(Personally I will not always fully comply to these guidelines myself, but I will continue to be transparant about it. However, I do agree with the values communicated in this document.)

... 137 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-12-26 18:04
LMan

@Joe: why not form a gfx group and set new standards? Like MSL for gfx. The scene needs and loves em all, pros, amateurs and even lamers.

Amateur is supposed to be a positive word btw.
2023-12-26 18:07
Joe

At least people can see for the future how people act against each other with comments above ^^ and can be assured the c64 scene was less than happy to be around; D.

The funniest bit was the competitions, which sometimes was around the corner. Sour looser as seen in many of the threads and threats as these recent ones. I hope someone could still share a happy Christmas greeting: With sour dinosaurs they are at least honest too people who pretend to be honest: Happy Losers and and a happy New Year.

It's just a bad idea, now leave me alone, so I might be able to do art again! And I always put workstages.
2023-12-26 18:13
Nim

Quote: At least people can see for the future how people act against each other with comments above ^^ and can be assured the c64 scene was less than happy to be around; D.

The funniest bit was the competitions, which sometimes was around the corner. Sour looser as seen in many of the threads and threats as these recent ones. I hope someone could still share a happy Christmas greeting: With sour dinosaurs they are at least honest too people who pretend to be honest: Happy Losers and and a happy New Year.

It's just a bad idea, now leave me alone, so I might be able to do art again! And I always put workstages.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year, i hope it's not... disgusting ;)
2023-12-26 18:13
Hein

Quoting LMan
@Joe: why not form a gfx group and set new standards? Like MSL for gfx. The scene needs and loves em all, pros, amateurs and even lamers.

Amateur is supposed to be a positive word btw.

Isn't it already a gfx group?
2023-12-26 18:17
Joe

You can find most of my graphics here:
https://www.behance.net/james_svard
2023-12-26 18:26
acrouzet

Looks like this thread has gone on long enough to start to devolve into the exaggerated arguing phase. For my own hastily-written two cents, I honestly can't really see a scene-wide guide like this working out, especially since the scene is so decentralized (which I think is a good thing). I'm sympathetic to the motivations behind it. I'm deeply concerned about AI too, but at the same time, obsessing over potential new rules may make things worse? From my limited and young experience, I feel like the scene's "rules" kinda just came about through unwritten agreements developed on a case-by-case basis. The scene is such a voluntary thing, nothing will work unless everyone agrees that it will ultimately make their life more fulfilling.

Maybe we can learn from the music scene. Even the greats of the likes of Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway sometimes straight up covered artists like Jean Michel-Jarre and Pink Floyd without credit. Eventually the development of the HVSC and the STIL.txt allowed these covers to be known, and it became more of an untold responsibility for musicians to credit any influences in their work. Even now, I've recognized a few uncredited covers in the HVSC from as late as the 00s, but providing credits to the HVSC is seen as a good and even fun contribution to the scene. I've seen threads pop up on the forums where people work together to hunt for uncredited covers as a sort of game. And nowadays, nearly everyone who makes a cover makes sure to specify so.

I'm pretty much against trying to restrict the use of technology for anyone, but I also think that fairness in creativity is important for it to thrive. Maybe the best way forward is for competitions to make their own rules, for the community to call out bad actors when they arise and work together to do the obvious right things when the opportunities arise. In the end, the future is unpredictable, best to just enjoy creating and sharing art while we can.
2023-12-26 18:35
LMan

Yeah that's what I twas getting at... Form a group, have group principles as outlined in the document, and let the best set new standards by example rather than general public rulesets. More will aspire to follow, surely not everyone.

That was also the gist of Carrion's presentation. Setting a positive example to escape the AI and cheating dilemma.
2023-12-26 18:50
Joe

Let’s just see how fun 2024 starts, with copies in music, art and demo-effects. I guess it will be just as hilarious as this year has been? I hope Propaganda News is also released, I made an image for that mag 1 year ago, and it's the last time I make an image which who’s up 1 year later.
2023-12-26 22:31
hedning

Quote: Let’s just see how fun 2024 starts, with copies in music, art and demo-effects. I guess it will be just as hilarious as this year has been? I hope Propaganda News is also released, I made an image for that mag 1 year ago, and it's the last time I make an image which who’s up 1 year later.

I am sorry for that. I'll talk to you in private about that. We are 3 months after deadline for Propa right now, and I recieved your pic in April.
2023-12-27 00:12
PAL

It's very sad to witness the downward spiral of this thread – personal releases delayed (?), disgust over differing opinions, what others create and find fun and the always assumption of the worst. This is precisely why a document signed by the absolutely "elite" pixel artists, dictating a join-sign-or-else stance, is a terrible idea, despite the document's valid and sensible content. Without the signing it could actually work, and it do almost today, allready.

Let's wrap up with some Neil Young wisdom that I think fit perfectly:

There's colors on the street
Red, white and blue
People shufflin' their feet
People sleepin' in their shoes
But there's a warnin' sign on the road ahead
There's a lot of people sayin' we'd be better off dead
Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them
So I try to forget it any way I can

Keep on rockin' in the free world
Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fred/Channel 4
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
Spinball/Excess
Sabbi/Hokuto Force
jmin
Will/Chimera