Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > Why the descending chronological order of comments on product pages?
2009-03-17 01:53
jailbird

Why the descending chronological order of comments on product pages?

It seems totally unnatural and weird, makes me hate my life whenever I run into a long discussion on a product page.
Note the usability issue: first you have to scroll down to the first comment and then slowly scroll upwards, while reading from down to up (instead of just simply reading from up to down, like on the forums).
Or give us an option to reverse it, pretty please! :)

Oh, by the way, before someone mentions it. I do realize that lengthy discussions don't belong to the product pages and I should beat the fuck out of here and think about more useful things. But, comments are still misused quite often and probably will be in the future. At least make those pages readable for humans.
2009-03-17 09:32
daison

The benefit of descending the order is that new replies are easier to catch, especially when it's running into a long (measured in time) discussion.

I guess it has both pros and cons, but descending seems natural to me, most blogs and such use the same order for comments.
2009-03-17 09:45
jailbird

Quoting daison
The benefit of descending the order is that new replies are easier to catch, especially when it's running into a long (measured in time) discussion.

This could be easily solved by checking the new comments since your last visit to the page and anchoring to the last one you might have seen (I believe the forum works the same way).
Still, in case you're just "running into" a thread, that means you probably haven't read it or read it long time ago and have to catch up -> means double scrolling.
The other case would be that you try to follow a discussion, but if it's long, a lot of new comments will appear -> double scrolling again.
The situation you've described would work more or less OK if the product pages' comment section would be used as it is intended.

Pouet has an ascending chronological order, and suits me just well.

Anyway, I don't say it should be a must, just an option for those who hate the current situation.
2009-03-17 11:54
Graham
Account closed

Quote:
This could be easily solved by checking the new comments since your last visit to the page and anchoring to the last one you might have seen

That would be very annoying since in most cases you enter a products page because of the product and not because of the comments.
2009-03-17 12:03
Jetboy

I agree with Graham.

But what could help, and not break how it currently works, would be a button put on the top of the page that scrolls to the bottom - so you can easily start reading comments from first one, if you really want to.
2009-03-17 12:46
daison

Quote: I agree with Graham.

But what could help, and not break how it currently works, would be a button put on the top of the page that scrolls to the bottom - so you can easily start reading comments from first one, if you really want to.

This button... it would basically do the same as pressing CTRL+HOME i think, so to me that seems a rather useless option.

Having an ASC or DESC user-preference as Jailbird suggested seems valid to me. (But I personally don't need it)
2009-03-17 13:04
Jetboy

Quote:
This button... it would basically do the same as pressing CTRL+HOME i think, so to me that seems a rather useless option.

If only it was close to being a standard, but its not. It does not do anything. Ha! And there is even no HOME button on mac keyboard, not to mention other devices like phones or the like...

The preference wouldn't be bad, but the button would be useful with or without preference implemented.
2009-03-17 13:43
daison

Well, I don't know al keyboard shortcuts of any OS by heart but for the mac you may use:
http://www.xvsxp.com/misc/keyboard.php\

I guess most GUI-based OS's have a keyboard shortcut for this. Phones are a different story though, but I guess it doesn't end with going to the end of a page...

(p.s. ofcourse I ment CTRL+END instead of HOME)
2009-03-17 14:18
Frantic

Just press the fancy "Mac" button + cursordown, and you'll find yourself at the bottom....

Also, if you have a macbook, you find HOME/END/PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN if you hold the "fn" key and use the cursor keys...

(For gods sake... How an you use a system, not knowing how to navigate efficiently!? :)
2009-03-17 15:09
Jetboy

I don't really use mac - i only have it so i can compile for iPhone. Not that i ever wanted to, but it's good business opportunity. And the keyboard of Mac Book sux big times. Cursor keys are too small, the lack of home/end/etc. keys is aggravating (would be more convenient than key combos), and there is enough space left to implement them. Enter key is too narrow. But we are going off topic.

Still i find the button (or link) wouldn't be bad (and it's so easy to implement).

hehe, and home+ctrl for going to the bottom of the page is really far from being standard :)

Oh well, i made idiot out of myself, but at least i learned something use full :) (i knew about shortcuts in text editor, but never thought about using them in web browser)
2009-03-17 19:11
daison

you're welcome ;)

... 12 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Yogibear/Protovision
SAM
Guests online: 63
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)