Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > Is 120 the max number of full height sprites that can be displayed?
2002-11-17 17:59
Shadow
Account closed

Is 120 the max number of full height sprites that can be displayed?

I've been on a nostalgia trip and checking out some demos from the real oldschool, record-breaking times. So I started thinking a bit about the world record for most sprites in a multiplexer. I started calculating, and got the following:

8 sprites can be displayed per 21 lines (since a sprite is 21 pixels high). Now you have 256 y-positions available to place sprites on. That should give us 96 or maybe 104 (I wasn't quite sure on this).
Since I saw demos with 112 and even 120 sprites (think it was in Ice Cream Castle/Crest), this couldn't be the limit.
Anyway, I started coding on a little test program and discovered that sprites placed on position $01 to $1e was displayed twice (both in the upper and lower border. I guess this is common knowledge, but I've been out of the loop for a while!)
Now, those $1e lines gives us the possibility to display two batches of 8 sprites that essentially gets doubled, thus we have 104+116 = 120 sprites as the absolute maximum.
Is this correct reasoning? Any oldtimer hardware specialits who can shed some light on this?

... 67 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-01-19 20:25
DanPhillips

Quote: Hehe, up to now I thought Armalyte used some hyper-optimized, unrolled multiplexer interrupt for the bosses, because there was never any kind of error.. Only now I realize there wasn't enough sprites to cause errors at all! :)

The bosses used 16 sprites max in total, plus 4 for enemy
bullets.

It was the skill with which they were used that allways
impressed me :-)

Dan
Lead Programmer Arma...thing.
2003-02-02 22:45
Graham
Account closed

JCB, sprite multiplexing simply means that you use a sprite more than once per frame, so escos is indeed a multiplexer, same as a lot of other stuff.
2003-02-03 07:16
JCB
Account closed

Quote: JCB, sprite multiplexing simply means that you use a sprite more than once per frame, so escos is indeed a multiplexer, same as a lot of other stuff.

hmm to me a multiplexer has to be usable for moving the sprite more than once per frame in an "intelligent" manner. Still, thats just my opinion ;)
2003-02-03 07:27
CyberBrain
Administrator

I thought multiplexors was >8 sprites that all moves past eachother in y.

Maybe a little bad explained, but like you can make a simple sprite routine that moves 8 sprites up/down in a sinus movement, an example of what i thought was a multiplexor is >8 sprites moving up/down in a sinus movement.
(...and moving them in x makes it look sweet :) )

Are you sure multiplexors are just displaying the same sprite more than once in a frame?

(would be nice with a library of all these words on the net)
2003-02-03 11:23
JCB
Account closed

Sorry, brain lost focus in my last post, I meant "moving more than 8 sprites (sorting) in an intelligent manner". Having just read my last post again it's utter rambling nonsense :) I'd just woken up, thats my excuse. Still not properly awake so this post won't make sense either haw
2003-02-03 14:03
Graham
Account closed

JCB wrote:
"hmm to me a multiplexer has to be usable for moving the sprite more than once per frame in an "intelligent" manner. Still, thats just my opinion ;)"

i dont think that it has anything to do with opinions. "multiplexing" is a term which has a certain meaning of using something multiple times. for example, some older processor multiplex their adress lines to allow 16 or 24 bit adresses over an 8 bit adress bus. now adapting this term for sprites would simply mean that you use a single sprite multiple times. multiplexing does not implicate any kind of "intelligence", in fact all the hardware multiplexing is done without intelligence at all. just very basic logic.
2003-02-03 15:09
JCB
Account closed

I know where the word multiplexing comes from and it in fact originally has nothing to do with computers ;) And I still believe that I am right to have an opinion on its use in the realms of c64 sprites. Someone gave the use of more than 8 sprites displayed using a SORTING method the term multiplexing, the fact that others then decided to encompass just more than 8 sprites on screen doesn't make it correct.
2003-02-03 18:36
Graham
Account closed

honestly, this is the first time ever i hear that multiplexers should include sorting routines. no coder i ever met used that term in that way, and thinking about it's meaning on other subjects it wouldn't make sense to implicate sorting.
2003-02-03 18:51
cadaver

Ah.. I could imagine JCB & MT having a quarrel about Turrican boss-display routine:

JCB: That routine isn't a multiplexer, 'cos it isn't sorting anything
MT: It doesn't *need* to sort, the order is fixed
JCB: So, you even admit it yourself, it isn't a multiplexer
MT: WTF??

:)
2003-02-03 19:13
Dr. Jay
Account closed

Silly argument.

It's simple, really. Multi - latin root, i.e. "many".

Plex - from latin plico - fold or wrap, i.e. comPLICated literally means "many things together".

Multiplex - basically folding or wrapping the display so the sprites appear multiple times.

Beyond that is really opinion.

JCB, you like sorted sprites? Fine. But blue is blue and multiplexed is multiplexed. If you're worried about something being sorted, then worry about multiplexed sprites with a sort routine. There is NO implication of "sort" in the word multiplex, anywhere. Now whenever you hold your own demo competition, you are certainly free to say that any multiplexed submissions must have proof of an intelligent sort.

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Airwolf/F4CG
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
Martin Piper
j0x
Dymo/G★P