Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3003 : Only Sprites Compo
2020-11-04 12:59
Raistlin

Event id #3003 : Only Sprites Compo

Competition Rules:

* You can ONLY display sprites - no chars or bitmaps. Magic byte(s) CAN be used.
* Change any VIC properties that you like
* The Effect must be a one-screener in one PRG (preferably compressed) (no disk streaming)
* Variations of the effect are allowed
* Interaction is allowed - make it a game if you like ;-p
* Music is allowed and encouraged
* Borders can of course be removed

Winner will be chosen based on CSDB's rankings.

... 99 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-01-22 18:02
Mixer

Thank you Raistlin.
2021-01-22 19:15
Raistlin

No worries - have fun! See you in the demo compos ;-)

Less trolling, more coding ;-)
2021-01-22 22:37
Oswald

I agree with Mixer on both things - dishonesty (too much ass licking) and boring nostalgy trip.

But in the end it boiles down to taste, and what can I do if majority of the scene likes seeing dycps and sideborder whatevers on loop since more than 30 years. Most ppl like it, I dont :)

and btw Performers demos are awesome: full with fx that scompletely new, and I have no idea how it was done :)
2021-01-22 22:38
Oswald

btw I was pretty sure Mirage's game would win as it displayed superb gfx and technical feat both.
2021-01-22 22:46
Carrion

btw: I was pretty sure at some point the compo will be canceled.
Anyway I'm extra happy my group has won. I'm MEGA happy and look forward to do some gfx for upcomming real C65 demos!
2021-01-22 22:53
Raistlin

"and btw Performers demos are awesome"

Absolutely. I totally loved Concert - great code, for sure, and the music was even better (for me, as a nostalgia lover). And I loved the greeting scroller, huge logo and the inner-cube parts on their X2018 demo for sure.

But.. Walt's part was, IMO, innovative.. bringing a new level of coolness to oldschool DXYCPs. But you have to be able to really appreciate them.

Also, FYI, it's not easy for me to praise Walt's code - we're in a dire competition most of the time, trying to outdo each others' plot scroll effects ;-p .. so I hope it wasn't me the ass-licking comment was aimed at.

And finally, in terms of nostalgic effects... Mixer's done more than his fair share of plasmas.. you've just recently released an (admittedly smooth) tech-tech, not to mention twisters, rasters etc etc... so what makes DXYCPs more of a throwback than any of those I wonder?

Nostalgia is no bad thing IMO. In fact, isn't it why we're all here instead of making demos on top of the range PCs with ray-tracing capabilities etc?
2021-01-22 23:19
Smasher

Technically speaking I don't think Mixer's criticism is totally wrong.
For sure he could have used better words to express his thoughts, and IMHO a friendly language helps to have a more pleasant scene experience.
Anyway if you consider that top/bottom border was 1st opened in 1985 (so that's the year also ghost-byte was seen for the first time?), sideborder in 1986, sprite stretching a couple of years later, etc... well, it's not wrong to affirm that a talented guy/child with a lot of patience (no debuggers, no emulators, no 3rd party tools, etc) had everything to do a valid and solid entry in this compo even if timewarped in late 80s.
But the beauty of our beloved C64 is that this computer never changed and will never change! same ram, same vic, same sid, all exactly like almost 40 years ago. and today we are still here challenging ourselves to do everytime better, and we have fun with that! that's the real magic of this compo, exactly like with any prg produced by this community.
2021-01-23 00:57
Sparta

I guess we all have our own interpretation of what the scene, CSDb, and these compos are for. (This time with some real, valuable prizes, raising the temperature of course.) This is not bad, and having your opinion about what you’d like to see here is not bad either. One thing I learned a few years ago is how to constructively present one’s criticism using the sandwich technique (and I bet there are other ways too). Believe me, it makes everyone feel much better about disagreeing. :)
2021-01-23 11:40
ChristopherJam

Quoting Compyx
So, basically we'd be repeating old Horizon, Triad, Censor, Bones, Upfront etc, demos?

<cjam> looks at winning entry

But seriously, great work everyone.

I see Mixers point in that this was a competition where style was heavily rewarded (much as I'm impressed by the dxyccp in the winning entry), but I'm quite happy with that. I preferred the winning entry to the 2nd placed one too (and TBH I think Booze's other entry should've placed much higher than it did - that twister was gorgeous)

My only comment on the voting palaver is that if anything we should be discounting public votes, as there seems to be more peer pressure to vote everything an eight or higher, which leaves very little room for saying which of the top five or six entries you think should rate higher in the final rankings.

Sadly I didn't manage to make time to do my usual "rank every entry in a text file then dish out a few each of every possible score" so y'all are spared what some would call 'downvoting' from me this time :)

Thanks again for a great compo, Raistlin - hopefully I'll manage to cobble an entry together next time this theme is revisited.
2021-01-23 12:06
Oswald

hmm what happened here, its suddencly a 2 category compo game/effect ? this was never in the rules in the compo page.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 119
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)