Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Group id #2667 : ABC Crackings
2005-11-15 19:10
hwm
Account closed

Group id #2667 : ABC Crackings

I corrected the information already but I'd rather give an explanation too, to prevent misunderstanding in the future. If someone thinks different about this, let me know.

Originally, I added the "Founded by" and "Dissolved in" entries for this group. However, they've been changed to respectively "1983" & "1987" instead of my "1984" & "1985".

I can see why someone would do this, since their releases/cracks span the years 1983-1987. However I don't think that's correct. They might have cracked games *from* 1983, however those days not being "zero-day" and all, I rather think the cracking itself was done in 1984 or so.

Also, the group ceased to exist in 1985. The only thing happened after that was that 2 people named Hawk & Junior "resurrected" the group with permission from ABC member ADJ (they claim). I don't know if the proper term is "resurrected", since the only thing they did is releasing a piece of ripped music.

Which brings me to another point. Should this kind of people be included with the original group? I wouldn't call them imposters, since they probably got permission from ADJ (who I recall left ABC some time before the group ceased to exist), but it's not that they did something significant in name of the group. I do not care about it that much, but I'm just curious how this situation is usually treated in CSDb?
2005-11-15 21:14
Nafcom

This thing has been discussed before. E.g. with Tempest, which officially dissolved in 2001 but now and then released something after that.

I think a nice way to fix such problems in the database would be nice! :)
2005-11-16 07:54
CyberBrain
Administrator

I think the best way as it is now, would be to see the old ABC Crackings and the resurrected ABC Crackings as the same group, and then write what you wrote here in the trivia for the group.
(so that would mean that hawk and junior would also be members, and the deathdate would be 1987)
2005-11-22 13:22
Zyron

I think the "new" ABC should have a separate entry, just like the re-formed Section 8 [rebuild].
2005-11-24 22:20
Zyron

No reaction to this?
If no one disagrees I will create an own entry for the new ABC & move their one & only release there.
2005-11-25 01:03
hwm
Account closed

I think your solution would be the best, yes.
2005-11-25 01:45
hwm
Account closed

And, a bit off-topic:

I just saw that someone added ADJ's real name, which I knew already, but perhaps this person knows more about him. After I added the members of ABC, one thing is still a bit unsolved:

Antisoft & CSS, if I remember correctly, were "groups", in the sense that there were more persons behind it. However, they both didn't use handles within the group, as far as I know, so I added them as sceners (that and the fact that groups can't be part of groups, which we all know). Now I know who were/was behind Antisoft/Bytebreaker, but CSS always was unclear to me. Somehow I remember, not sure why/how, that ADJ was in fact part of CSS. Can anyone elaborate on this?

2005-11-25 08:01
CyberBrain
Administrator

Quote: No reaction to this?
If no one disagrees I will create an own entry for the new ABC & move their one & only release there.

I'm not sure i get your argument for doing this. I mean, the resurected group is still the same group, isn't it? As far as i understand hwm, it's not a new unrelated group that just happens to have the same name.
(the trivia and join-dates for hawk and junior would show that they were part of the group only when it got resurrected)

...in CSDb V2 there should probably be a possibility to have more than 1 founding/annihilate date for groups...
2005-11-25 08:23
Zyron

Quote: I'm not sure i get your argument for doing this. I mean, the resurected group is still the same group, isn't it? As far as i understand hwm, it's not a new unrelated group that just happens to have the same name.
(the trivia and join-dates for hawk and junior would show that they were part of the group only when it got resurrected)

...in CSDb V2 there should probably be a possibility to have more than 1 founding/annihilate date for groups...

I strongly disagree.

It's not the same group, it has no members from the old group, it just shares its name.
All they managed to release was a simple music-rip, it looks sooooo lame with that file among all the cracks on the original ABC page.
2005-11-25 13:47
CyberBrain
Administrator

k. If it makes more sense to do it like that, then just do it like that i guess.

But still there should be trivia explaining this and connecting the two groups together.
2005-11-25 15:10
Mason

What to do about the third ABC? If you check GG theres a release of Flik Flak released by ABC

... 3 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
deetsay
New Design/Excess
CA$H/TRiAD
Apollyon/ALD
Guests online: 113
Top Demos