Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Handle id #3733 : Smalltown Boy
2003-11-13 11:39
CreaMD

Handle id #3733 : Smalltown Boy

So some idiot with three fake accounts, or two idiots (one having have fake account), or even three separate idiots have given smalltown boy 1 point in the voting chart.

Why we tolerate such things. Users here were asking for this all the time. Even the poll was made for this. And what happened? User CAN permit that his votes aren't anonymous. Well if you guys at CSDB cleaned the mess after fake voters without disclosing their identity I wouldn't mind if the voters stayed anonymous, but you don't do that.

This whole system is so unhealthy that it doesn't have any reason to exist. None of your partial solutions helped the get rid of this problem. So either make visible voting or disable votes of invisible voters completely so they wont be affecting charts. That will save those idiots of any reactions from people who care and it will separate votes of grownup civilised people from votes of primitives.

Roman

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-11-13 15:18
CreaMD

Yes that's what lead me to react. I have finally decided to have a strong stand about this subject. Finally after so many months of partial solution there must be some final cut on this.

a) don't allow anonymous voters to vote!
b) reveal all voters!
c) drop all this unfair and lame system down completely coz it's getting sicker and sicker as it is being abused all the time and none of the math solutions work!

please!
2003-11-13 15:54
Puterman
Account closed

CreaMD, why so harsh? (Sorry, I just had to.)
2003-11-13 16:52
zdzisek
Account closed

Hmmm, or at least maybe somebody could reveal those downvoters' names (as long as they're not like "jack2511"...) to show that voting here is not as much anonymous as they might have thought?
2003-11-13 20:03
CreaMD

Quote: CreaMD, why so harsh? (Sorry, I just had to.)

Okay okay. What do you think? Abnd don't tell me you don't care.
2003-11-13 21:18
_V_
Account closed

I agree. I mean, look at the 1s and 2s in the Top10 demo list... if they were placed there because someone really really doesn't like Deus Ex, I could still understand, but... being a *tiny* bit bit vane (sorry :), I kept track of the votestats of Insomnia, Deus Ex and co. for an extended period of time... and I noticed that there simply was lots of deliberate shifting going on... Deus would get a 1 to lower its score, then Insomnia would get a 10 to be cranked up again and then vice versa... was this coincidence, or deliberate manipulation of the charts to make it look 'pretty'?

And now this thing that happened to SB... I'm NOT enjoying this. I guess it's because we're a small community, and downvoting becomes magnified as a consequence... just look at pouet.net... there *are* some *lamers* (yeah, let's use that term again) there who just downvote because of 'political' reasons or selfproclaimed 1337ness, but because there are so many more serious sceners who are honest about their stuff and that of others, their votes are not relevant for the end result.

Every basket has a few rotten apples, and I guess our basket is small enough for them to have impact on the overall taste... I think, though, that the good apples should be capable of seeing which are the other good apples and make sure that the rotten apples are ignored until they learn their lesson.

For now, I guess none of us should really hold any relevance to these votes and statistics - as a mathematician, I'd say that drawing conclusions using the information here is 'not of statistical relevance'...
2003-11-13 23:44
Nafcom

Okay my few cents to this:

First of all, I _agree_ with all comments here!

Well, next to really unfair votes, I wonder about the amount of votes. Is our "basket" too little for over 5 votes of some "downvoted" entries? Come one, it must be possible to get more than 5 voting on some stuff. Are we really that tiny?... :)

The more apples you have, the less you care about the rotten ones...

...and the more people vote on new entries, the better the mirror on the "hiscore list" is... the mirror of our point of view!

I think it is very unlikely to "cut" all the rotten apples to remove a worm because worms have one problem: They can go plural or grow :(

so far..
Joerg
2003-11-13 23:58
Stryyker

I guess the timing does make it very suspect. Perhaps there needs to be a person vote/rank. Even if they make good stuff but they are a bit of a wanker in your opinion then it can show but anonymous voting can really screw this up.
2003-11-14 00:40
dalezy

i wonder if it's really that satisfying when people go on downvote-frenzy. i've been hit by that as well, though some low votes on my side seem to have vanished as soon as we had a discussion about that on #c-64. interesting to see was also that a certain release got a vote of 1 as soon as it got out.

i couldn't care less for the rank-system, but it's just shabby when people don't have the balls to reveal themselves once they had fun giving random low votes to someone who's usually getting average to high votes.

as stated ago, this isn't pouet where people do actually take a piss on someone they don't like personally.
2003-11-14 07:48
Puterman
Account closed

CreaMD: Well, I don't really care about the votes, but it would make a whole lot more sense if the votes were transparent. As you may have noticed, I have chosen to display my votes. That way, anyone who's interested can see that I don't do silly stuff like up- or down-voting.
2003-11-14 08:29
Dane
Account closed

Now we would only like you to start wearing transparent clothes as well, Puterman.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
K-reator/CMS/F4CG
The MeatBall
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Octavesounds
Dirk/Warriors of Dar..