Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > ik+ Graphics.
2007-02-22 15:37
Bones99

ik+ Graphics.

Hi .
I'm working on a remake of IK+ for PC, my plan is to make it network enabled with a lobby system so that it works on a winner-stays-in basis , and challengers can queue to challenge the champion over the internet. The problem I have is that I cant draw :( and even if I could it would be pointless to re-create all the gfx by hand).

I wonder if anyone knows where I could get the graphics from ? I wrote a ripper and found the sprite data using a ccs64 freeze file, but I cant seem to understand that pattern in which the graphics are loaded.

Any version(c64,amiga,ST etc) of the gfx is welcome.
Can anyone help ?
2007-02-22 15:54
Scout

Offtopic: IK+ is still licensed by System 3.
So rethink your project or continue if you are a skilled lawyer ;)
2007-02-22 15:56
Twoflower

Take WinUAE, get IK+. Load it. Choose two/three players versus. Slow down emulation to 1%. Do all moves. Screenshot all frames when there is movement. Note that there can be movement even in cases when the sprite don't change (jumpkick is a prime example) - that's why you need this approach and not just a rip-out of the sprites.

This method can me used on any version, as long as you have an emulator which can slow down emulation or have framestepping. May I also recommend that you take a look at the most recent version made, the one on the GBA.

Yeah, and don't call it IK+ in the end.
2007-02-22 16:04
Bones99

Quote: Offtopic: IK+ is still licensed by System 3.
So rethink your project or continue if you are a skilled lawyer ;)

I'm not planning on selling it .
I will credit System 3 and acknowledge their copyright.

If anyone has a problem with my releasing it I will simply hand it over to emule and relinquish any knowledge of it.

Legalities are the least of my problems.
2007-02-22 16:10
Scout

Quote:

If things were so easy. This ain't gonna work, dude.
If it looks like IK+, sounds like IK+ or even smells like IK+ legally it *IS* IK+.

Recent example is Geometry Wars. This game is played on XBox360 Live and some fans of the game made a freeware PC version.
Microsoft showed their muscles and the game was removed from the net.

I don't want to play a party-pooper (heck! i would like to play it on my pc) but see it as some facts you shouldn't ignore.
2007-02-22 16:18
Bones99

Quote: Quote:

If things were so easy. This ain't gonna work, dude.
If it looks like IK+, sounds like IK+ or even smells like IK+ legally it *IS* IK+.

Recent example is Geometry Wars. This game is played on XBox360 Live and some fans of the game made a freeware PC version.
Microsoft showed their muscles and the game was removed from the net.

I don't want to play a party-pooper (heck! i would like to play it on my pc) but see it as some facts you shouldn't ignore.

Well .. thanks for the heads up ..
I wouldn't expect a company like system 3 to be as pathetic as microsoft-in-the-head but maybe it would be worth dropping a few mails to see what the situation is .. never know till you try eh ?.

Besides , there seem to be several other remakes out there and the remakers dont seem to have had the pants sued off them .. we'll have to see.
2007-02-22 16:43
Bones99

I see System 3 (or studio 3) is very much alive and active on various formats .. They're even publishing IK+ for other platforms .. They probrably wouldn't take too kindly to my re-make .. especially if it was any good ..
Ah well .. there goes another bright idea down the tubes.
2007-02-22 16:53
cadaver

Yep, especially with the netplay it could be seen quite like "competition" against their official products.
2007-02-22 16:59
Oswald

netplay it using vice and take a dump on copyrights :)
2007-02-22 17:03
j0x

Somebody should remind Microsoft of Tempest, Asteroids and Robotron: 2084.

And remind System 3 of Karate Champ.

I sincerely doubt you'll have any trouble if you release a freeware game along the IK+ concept. Of course, stealing the graphics is another matter :)

OTOH, if you have a working game with stolen graphics, it shouldn't be a problem to recruit a skilled artist to redo the graphics to avoid accusations of software theft. Infringing on System 3's IP may be another matter, but I doubt it'll stand up in court.

If you charge money for the game in any way, then it's a completely different ballgame.
2007-02-22 19:11
Hein

You should have a chat with Mark Cale first, I think he will convince you to officially port it to PC and not pay you a penny for your efforts.

... 14 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Guests online: 119
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)