Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > how to draw C64 on a pc?
2010-10-30 12:53
STE'86

how to draw C64 on a pc?

On lemon recently a few of us have been advising someone who wanted to try c64 art on how to go about doing it on a PC.

this lead me to thinking that I too wanted to know this info last year so why not do a thread on it which hopefully many current c64 artists will contribute to and then maybe we will have a very useful "kickstart" to anyone interested in starting or returning to c64 graphics.
there is one oldschooler who shall remain nameless atm who i spent some of yesterday trying to coerce back into the saddle :)

so i'll kick it off, theres are bound to be additional steps i have forgotten but here goes:

... 61 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-11-02 21:45
chatGPZ

Quote:
you just have to work out an x/y pair instead of the 50/100

if by "work out" you mean take them from the pictures above, yes =) (unless it cant handle 1:0,936 .... which wouldnt surprise me at all in the case of gimp =P) might get a bit tricky with multicolor double pixels depending how gimp handles that stuff and how you need the data later on :)
2010-11-02 21:52
JCB
Account closed

Yes, work out as in 50/100 for x/y will give you square 2:1 AR pixels. As for accuracy you can set the sizes up to pixels/dots per meter so you can use pretty big numbers to get the x/y division right. Of course as I said, the res of the host machine will have a greater bearing on the result visually (ie how each pixel is shaped compared to those surrounding it)..

Oh yeah, output, they're still just pixels internally, just the number of host display pixels that are used to display them (eg the aspect ratio) is changed. You create a 160x200 image, draw it, save it, load it into P1 and let it scale it to 320 or you can scale it to 320 in gimp if you want, makes no difference.
2010-11-02 22:29
chatGPZ

that sounds almost perfect.... so if i set it up like that, and then use something like a circular selection to create an exact circle, will that work as intended? have to play around with this.... is there something like field->frame "doubling" too? ie not scale using nearest neighbour (which would still interpolate and thus modify colors where you dont want it) but simply repeating every column twice?
2010-11-03 00:14
JCB
Account closed

It should. If you want your circle to look correct on the C64 and you know the AR of the C64 (bearing in mind most TVs/monitors have some kind of width setting) and you've set gimp to the same, then drawing a circle that looks correct should produce one that is correct on output as the ratios will be the same.

The doubling on gimp can be done with no interpolation. If you want, as you say just repeated columns, then you just scale the image in X by 200% and set the interpolation method to None.

*edit*
I suppose with the different TV/Monitor AR's depending on people's settings, you've got to go with the standard, then at least a circle drawn to look right in the standard AR can be used by people to have a reasonably correct AR on their display by changing the width.
2010-11-03 18:07
Carrion

What I use is

1. Timanthes - It's a Photoshop of c64 pixeling
I think people really underestimate it becaue of some minor crashes it still has.
- it has layers
- it works with c64 palete by default
- it has nice converter
- it has gradients
- it has color-replace function which is my favoreite and can be used in many scenarios - even as a tool for Joe's 136 color technique
- it has dithering brushes
- it has select tool with magic wand (my second favorite)

I did a small presentation at Silesia party in Poland of techniques i use with Timanthes. I hope it was usefull but I really have more to show. So come to S5 party September 2011 to see me and Timanthes in action

2. I use Grafx2 now
I'll alredy pixeled 2 pics in this kool tool (BP'10 entry and latest 4 color entry)
- it's Deluxe Paint clone (sort off)
- works on every platform possible (BeOS/Haiku, Amiga, MacOs, Linux, etc,etc)
- has layers
- gradients, shades, transparency (based on pallete)
- dither brushes (with defined dither patterns)
- fat/tall pixels
- c64 collors palette by defalut
- and c64 export modes too (with grid and scripting capabilities)

grafx2 has also the spirit of oldschool (amiga like) pixeling which is a nice thing to have in photoshop cs5 era.
2010-11-03 18:16
chatGPZ

Quote:
I suppose with the different TV/Monitor AR's depending on people's settings, you've got to go with the standard, then at least a circle drawn to look right in the standard AR can be used by people to have a reasonably correct AR on their display by changing the width.

yes thats the idea of course... however from experience it is not that much of a problem in PAL land, there tvs and monitors are usually atleast close to the standard pal aspect ratio.... it is much more of problem in ntsc land appearently, i got a bunch of photos and captures of the screens from some ntsc guys, and the have HUGE differences. often it looks like ntsc ppl adjusted their monitor to show as little border as possible, which as a result distorts the aspect ratio completely beyond repair :)
2010-11-03 19:57
Oswald

Carrion, I guess some Timanthes tutorial videos would reach a wider audience, and its needed as people are having trouble using it.
2010-11-03 23:32
Celtic
Administrator

@ Carrion: i second what Groepaz said. A Timanthes tutorial video would be amazing!
2010-11-04 00:17
chatGPZ

should i have edited your post instead of telling: it wasnt me ? =D
2010-11-04 21:01
Celtic
Administrator

is was late, i meant oswald....
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
cba
Mason/Unicess
CA$H/TRiAD
Nith/TRIɅD
Krill/Plush
Dymo/G★P