Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Configurable addresses in multi sid tunes please
2019-08-31 22:03
Frantic

Configurable addresses in multi sid tunes please

Hi guys!

If you want to make a fellow scener a tiny bit happier than he already is:

In multi sid tunes (2 sid chips or more) it would be super nice if more people started to add the possibility to configure the adress of the extra sid chips before the tune starts playing. After all, if you play multi sid tunes on a real machine it may not be easy to change the addressing of the extra sids you have. Sometimes there are jumpers which allow a bit of configuration (such as switching between de00 and df00, or between d4xx/d5xx or something). However, in many cases the configuration options are limited. For example, in my 3sid-machine, the sid chips are located at $d400, $d420 and $d500 and that's that. I can't change it. No jumpers or stuff like that. :)

I understand that most people use VICE or various cross platform music editors, or emulated+configurable "sid chips" like the ones in the 1541U2, when they deal with multi sid stuff, but still.. the real machine with real hardware sid chips is always the main target, right? ;)

Thanks in advance! ;)

... 36 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2019-09-02 17:45
FunFun

Quote: I wrote a wrapper for someone that did a soft read/write of the sid registers to re-map multi sid songs where needed. Obviously that was doing the writes in an order I chose, but seeing as most multisid tunes are probably doing them all at once I guess it would be accurate enough. (only seems to be old drivers that do register re-writes inside the frame pass)

I probably don't have time to write it as a tool but that's really all that's needed isn't it? I've had to patch drivers directly for musicdisks to do sid select and it's way more of a pain.

I have also written a tool that tries to detect SIDs in C64 using TLR's method.

SIDdetector V1.0

I did a video on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ssYPXpFZk&t=335s

Most SID are in GoatTracker or CheesCutter and the player could be changed to handle runtime change of SID second address. The problem main problem is that ARMSID, FPGASid, SSU, SIDFX, MIXSID or UltiSID are not configured in the same way. All uses different tools for doing this.
2019-09-03 08:55
Frantic

Yep, nice tool you've got there. The question was not about configuring the sids to change their adress to adapt to where the player expects the sid to be though, but to allow for the players to adapt to where the sids are, so — in relation to the question — I don't see why it would be a problem that different kinds of emulated sids are configured in different ways.
2019-09-03 20:54
FunFun

So you want to able to change the second SID address in in the cheescutter player and goattracker player.

Looking at the goattracker the second sid is hardcoded in the player, you could scan for known sequences and patch the .sid file.

It should be possible to identify the player and modify SIDplay64 to be able to patch the .sid file.
2019-09-04 04:50
ChristopherJam

The idea is to modify all of the multi sid players to get them to auto-detect at runtime where the sid chips are.
2019-09-04 09:35
iAN CooG

<Post edited by iAN CooG on 4/9-2019 10:08>

Even by identifying the player one should scan for patterns and not patch specific offsets because very few players have a fixed structure, for example GoatTracker and Cheese cutter tunes are dynamically created depending on the features selected in the tracker, and the version of the tracker of course.
Each release should have a selector and its own patcher with an array of offsets manually found in the tune, like in Icony [2sid] or Ramdrive [2sid]
2019-09-04 10:00
ChristopherJam

…of course, patching might not even be a matter of changing a few addresses in the source.

I could well understand a player author just using an index register to access six or nine voices within the d4xx range; modifying such code to support chips that have addresses outside that would be nontrivial.
2019-09-04 14:44
Frantic

Yep, it can be non-trivial in some cases, at least in principle. Also, it would be cool if the players supported such autodetection out of the box (I'm thinking about implementing this myself in defMON or its currently developed successor), but..

My main point was actually something like this:

If you're skilled enough to code a quite nice player screen (which seems to be common for those multi sid tunes), it wouldn't typically be so hard to implement some custom patching of relevant addresses in the player code. Either to allow the user to select adress(es) manually, or through some auto-detection routine. That's all. :)
2020-12-27 13:23
4mat

Haven't tried this on hardware yet but I needed an auto-detect for dual SIDs so wrote this recently:

https://4matprojects.blogspot.com/2020/12/2nd-sid-chip-auto-det..

When I was trying things out it seems like the $d400-$d7ff and $de00-$dfff areas needed different detection setups, does that sound correct?
2020-12-27 13:44
Krill

I wonder if the burden of support should really be on the software in this case. The hardware in question is optional add-on stuff, after all, pretty much a moving target.

Having the register layout be configurable seems more sensible, and should not be all that difficult with today's hardware.

Even nicer if we could agree on some standard to tell hardware about required/optional number of SIDs, register layout, panning etc. =)
2020-12-27 14:47
chatGPZ

check https://sourceforge.net/p/vice-emu/code/HEAD/tree/testprogs/SID.. and https://sourceforge.net/p/vice-emu/code/HEAD/tree/testprogs/SID..
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
rexbeng
Scrap/Genesis Project
Menace/Spaceballs
Guests online: 85
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)