Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Covers that you thought were original C64 tunes..
2008-01-09 15:53
Shadow
Account closed

Covers that you thought were original C64 tunes..

Back in the eighties/early nineties I was a HUGE nerd that never went 'out' or listened to music or whatever the cool kids did (OK, all of the aforementioned still applies, but.. :D)
That meant that pretty much the only music I listened to came from the glorious SID chip. In the years since there has been many occasions where I've heard a tune on the radio/TV/mp3 and gone "WOW! They made a cover of the tune from demo X" and then a second later "Uhmm.. wait a minute.. it was probably the other way around".
Some notable examples:
* Domino Dancing / Pet Shop boys. I thought this was a C64 original up until I heard it on the radio a couple of years ago :D
* The tune from some Success demo, turned out to be a Koto cover
* The superb introtune from Partytrap. It was not until I read the comments here on CSDB that I realized it was a cover.

OK, am I the only one who has experienced this? :D

... 95 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-06-26 23:46
Codey

What is that, the 1541 soundtrack? Lol...
2010-08-01 21:03
Partz
Account closed

I think Rob Hubbard was probably 50/50 when it came to original content. The loading music for sanxion being original whilst the title screen wasnt. The in game tune to delta borrowed heavily from philip glass riffs but (I think!) the title tune was original. One track I don't think has been mentioned as a cover is One man & his droid - there is definately a section at the back end of the hubbard track that mimics the saxophone solo from the 1980's pop song "she's a man killer".

2010-08-03 18:13
NecroPolo

- Zoids/Hubbard. Many years later I found the original Synergy tune, was stunned, realised that it was the original, became disappointed of it and also 10x more amazed of Hubbard's awesome rendition. Quite obvious case.

- S-Express/JT. I had no love for that music style back in time so I totally missed the original. Loved JT's rendition, anyway. SID is a great style-indepentiser :) An another obvious case.

- Chameleon(?)/unknown. Back in time it was included in some intro I can't find anymore on old disks and I wasn't too educated about Herbie Hancock so again I was stunned when I heart Herbie's brilliant Chameleon track years later. Scanned Chamelon.SIDs on HVSC but I could not find that exact .sid Maybe, you have some idea...

- Some reverse case, any help is appreciated: Yo/NP. I heard this song in the radio back in the '80s once and never again. It stuck in mind and made a SID of it (not my best moments I must add), but never found out what the original was. For identification, any help is appreciated ;)
2010-08-03 18:18
NecroPolo

Quote: yeah, Groepaz got the point exactly. its much harder to cover a music, than copy gfx.

One day I may release the tune that I converted using Project One ;D
2010-08-03 18:22
iAN CooG

/MUSICIANS/P/PRI/Chameleon.sid <- cover of Hancock's song as stated in STIL.
these 2 probably don't match ;D
/MUSICIANS/W/Walker_Martin/Chameleon.sid
/DEMOS/UNKNOWN/Master_Composer/Karma_Chameleon.sid
2010-08-03 18:25
chatGPZ

Quote:
The in game tune to delta borrowed heavily from philip glass riffs but (I think!) the title tune was original.

the title tune is philip glass :) the ingame tune is heavily based on pink floyds "on the run" (quite a decent interpretation/conversion imho :))
2010-08-03 18:28
NecroPolo

Quote: /MUSICIANS/P/PRI/Chameleon.sid <- cover of Hancock's song as stated in STIL.
these 2 probably don't match ;D
/MUSICIANS/W/Walker_Martin/Chameleon.sid
/DEMOS/UNKNOWN/Master_Composer/Karma_Chameleon.sid

@iAN:

Yes, I've checked these ones. PRI's rendition is also killer but still not the one from that old intro. Maybe, it's some pre-1992 stuff, considering the numbering/date of my missing disks.
2010-08-03 19:09
iAN CooG

/DEMOS/G-L/Its_Me_Again_intro.sid
TITLE: Chameleon
ARTIST: Herbie Hancock

/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Gallefoss_Glenn/Synthfunk.sid

/MUSICIANS/K/Kleinert_Tim/Kleinert_01.sid

STIL has no other entry about it, if it's none of these either it's not yet ripped or just not identified.
2010-08-05 14:43
NecroPolo

Quote: /DEMOS/G-L/Its_Me_Again_intro.sid

/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Gallefoss_Glenn/Synthfunk.sid

/MUSICIANS/K/Kleinert_Tim/Kleinert_01.sid

STIL has no other entry about it, if it's none of these either it's not yet ripped or just not identified.

iAN, thanks for the list!

I guess, it must be case #2, not ripped or identified.

For a moment I thought Tim Kleinert's is that but the one that I'm after included a pretty different main lead instrument and other things were changed in the song, going more away from the original Herbie Hancock tune, but still in a good direction. Maybe, it is an another version by Tim that was not spread that much, or someone liked his SID cover and made a tune based on his.

BTW, Glenn's rendition... WOW! :O
2010-08-05 19:29
Carrion

ian_coog:
chameleon from PRI is muuuuuch beter.
Oh and i realy thought it's PRI's composition untill I've came across Urbanator's (polish acid jazz band) version... later I found out it was from herbie hancock (which in original sounds really lame :P)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..
cobbpg
Operator Teleksu
pcollins/Quantum
kbs/Pht/Lxt
instant