Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > SID-Wizard - further development
2012-07-08 16:59
Hermit

SID-Wizard - further development

Hi

I opened this new thread to discuss upcoming ideas for SID-Wizard which I released on 7 July.
SID-Wizard V1.0 RC

As you can see the source code is entirely shared, so you might contribute to the code yourself in some way if you wish.

As a starting point I'll try to make a sketch of the whole code-structure which might help to find parts of the program.
Soci gave some ideas which I think will be described soon in this topic.

thx for your great feedbacks

... 47 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-09-03 08:22
Stainless Steel

btw awesome work hermit.

oh and if follow-along play would be default instead of how it is now would be even more awesome :-D
2012-09-12 21:54
Hermit

Thx, Stainless - the 'follow-play by default' sounds like kinda FT2 playback, but I always liked better if I could edit a music while listening it...(and in SW follow-play doesn't allow any editing because it might cause data-corruption due to the slower refreshment of screen-data and positions...)

Meanwhile I had some advances (mainly fixes, and 1-2 additions), the sourceforge svn repository holds compiled binaries...

@Robozz: now the cursor-positions are remembered in the instrument-tables. (But of course positions are reset on instrument-change to prevent being in illegal table-area.)

The next planned release is 1.2, as I'm going to do quite some additions in a short while. (and pixelated '1.2' looks better than pixelated '1.1' ;)...

thx for all your feedbacks before & after this post... ;)
2012-09-13 08:40
BrandonWalsh
Account closed

Quote: Thx, Stainless - the 'follow-play by default' sounds like kinda FT2 playback, but I always liked better if I could edit a music while listening it...(and in SW follow-play doesn't allow any editing because it might cause data-corruption due to the slower refreshment of screen-data and positions...)

Meanwhile I had some advances (mainly fixes, and 1-2 additions), the sourceforge svn repository holds compiled binaries...

@Robozz: now the cursor-positions are remembered in the instrument-tables. (But of course positions are reset on instrument-change to prevent being in illegal table-area.)

The next planned release is 1.2, as I'm going to do quite some additions in a short while. (and pixelated '1.2' looks better than pixelated '1.1' ;)...

thx for all your feedbacks before & after this post... ;)

How do I make it so that it also inputs the current instrument number? Right now it just goes "C-4" and then I manually have to enter the instrument number in the instrument column. What did I miss? :)
2012-09-13 10:55
iLKke
Account closed

Quoting Hermit
Thx, Stainless - the 'follow-play by default' sounds like kinda FT2 playback, but I always liked better if I could edit a music while listening it...

Here's food for thought. There could ba a switch with an on-screen indicator (like for example the EDIT/JAM switch) for follow on/off. Then you only need to press F1 regardless of your preferred mode, and it would still be easy to switch modes. This is similar to how Renoise does it.

Personally I have no preference here. Just suggesting a flexible interface solution based on what you guys were discussing.

As a separate thought, perhaps it would even be possible to do this:
1-in follow mode, press play
2-song plays with follow
3-hit follow switch button, song keeps playing but stops following and you can now edit any part
4-hit follow switch again to start following again, while the song is playing the whole time

Would be comfy, no idea if technically doable tho.
2012-09-13 10:57
Hermit

Hi

@BrandonWalsh:
That 'type instrument automatically' feature is already requested and have been put the TODO.txt list. Possibly I'll be able to implement it today or in some days. Btw. I don't think it's the default behaviour of most music editors, but is useful for sure.
I'll have to think if it's better to put the instrument numbers only when needed (you know, when you select an instrument once it remains until changed further), or optimize it upon saving the workfile.
On the other hand in SID-Wizard selecting an instrument resets the Pulsewidth-/Filtertable pointers for the instrument and is a handy feature to reset intstruments which has PW/filt. reset switched off by C= + P or F keys...
This won't be the default behaviour but will be selectable by pressing Shift+I key-combination, and will be remembered in the worktune as a setting just like mute/auto-advance/framespeed/etc. settings...
Or you might have better idea for the implemantation of this function, in that don't hesitate to share with us.

@iLKke: The 'follow-play on/off' switch is a good idea. That setting could also be saved into the workfile as a preference. Also there was some complaints about the flickering rasterbars, that is another setting too which should be selectable (display just one-row rasterlines but not changing $d021 for the whole rastertime). Some people gets annoyed about the playback-rasterbars, I can understand that...

These are in the TODO.txt list... I guess SWM1 format will be maintainable with these added settings because the default settings were and will be saved as 0 in the worktune's headers... SWM2 module format will come when substantial changes happen in the music-data...that will be a bit later I guess...

I'll post it here when these functions get implemented in the svn trunk...
2012-09-13 17:16
tlr

In the svn repository all source files are marked as binary making diffs between commits unavailable in the web view.

Could you please mark the relevant files as text?
2012-09-13 19:45
Hermit

Hi. It seems Soci corrected the sources to 'text' MIME type under revision 106.
In revision 107 I made it possible to fast-call the instruments' default chords when pressing return on them in instrument-panel.
Also made a default instrument to be on the clipboard at startup, and now instrument-copybuffer isn't cleared after init/load. Also I fixed that instruments weren't reset after paste/cut procedures.
2012-09-14 16:14
robozz

Quote:
Nice! :)

Quote:
That 'type instrument automatically' feature is already requested and have been put the TODO.txt list. Possibly I'll be able to implement it today or in some days. Btw. I don't think it's the default behaviour of most music editors, but is useful for sure.
I wonder if this 'type instrument automatically' feature really is such a good idea? If you just want to change the note, the instrument column will be destroyed this way.

Quote:
This won't be the default behaviour but will be selectable by pressing Shift+I key-combination, and will be remembered in the worktune as a setting just like mute/auto-advance/framespeed/etc. settings...
Ah... good :)

Hmm.. there seems to be a bug when setting instrument without there being a note in the same row.
In the example below, selecting instrument 02 with no note will mess up the sound of instrument 01 currently playing.

C-4 01
... 02
C-4
2012-09-15 00:45
iLKke
Account closed

Quoting robozz
Hmm.. there seems to be a bug when setting instrument without there being a note in the same row.
In the example below, selecting instrument 02 with no note will mess up the sound of instrument 01 currently playing.

C-4 01
... 02
C-4

And what exactly would you want to happen when you do that?
2012-09-15 07:04
Conrad

Quote: Quoting robozz

C-4 01
... 02
C-4

And what exactly would you want to happen when you do that?

It's a way of optimising pattern data :) For example, you might have a lead pattern, but you have more than one instrument set up for that particular sequence. To save memory, set up a pattern like this:
PATTERN 1: (with no instruments set)

c-3
---
---
---
c-4
---
c-3
---
---

Then before the beginning of that pattern, the last instrument value played from the previous pattern will be used (if that makes sense.) It saves you having to copy and paste the same pattern data but replaced with another instrument number.

I would like to see that "bug" fixed too, as it's a trick I use in many of my tunes. (not that I can't live without it. :))
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Magic/Nah-Kolor
acrouzet/G★P
Guests online: 139
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)