Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Votesystem FAIL
2009-11-18 06:54
jailbird

Votesystem FAIL

OK, so why the vote system still exists, especially after all the devastating things it produces, is absolutely way beyond me.
It's rarely a representation of an objective, summarized opinion of the community. Either it's a playground for immature ding-dong fights I've had the luck to experience the last time in kindergarten, or it's simply a place for good old fashioned circlejerks.

I second Scout. At least I second the notion that this isn't really a place where I'd like to spend my spare time.

The constant pop-ups of topics considering the defecting vote-system is clearly a sign of something not working here the way it should. And yet, the cry ups keep getting ignored. For years.

Captain obvious is here to present you two options. One is to finally fix it, the other is to remove it for good. The latter one would be probably the best for all of us. And I think I'm speaking in the name of 99% of CSDb users here when I say that. Time to realize we are not IMDb with hundreds of millions of users, where a similar voting model works (more or less). Here, it's flawed and it simply fails on many, many levels

Pretty pretty please. Dudes who make and administer this site. Your work is fucking damn appreciated. I'd suck of all of you without a single second of consideration.

But for fucks sake.

... 187 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-20 00:28
SIDWAVE
Account closed

After reading all this, here is my current analysis:

1. releases are art

2. art is hard to weigh and measure, and all have other opinion about it, fine with that.

3. when a band releases a new album, the critics and music jounalists write a review of the release. they never say utter crap, or pure brilliance, they try to review it, so the reader can get food to form his own opinion.
this is the same as a scale, and not 1 or 10, or up or down.

4. by making all votes public we achieve this:

the artist can ask any voter, "why do you like it so much ?"
or, "why do you hate it so much ?"

he will be likely to do this in private. whats the use to open a thread and write "hey Geir, why do you vote 4 for this ?" - it dont concern you, only the artist and geir.

secondly, you can find downvoters.
unless its a basic demo with flashing bordercolors and a text saying "Hello World!" - nothing deserves a 1, nothing.

This is what we achieve, and its a plus for all.

5. Now make a vote about if to do it or not, and let the users decide. if you do not, then you area nazi dictator.

let the vote run for 1 month, so all have time to vote, and put a private message in all users inbox, that he must remember to vote before the deadline.

and also send this reminder to the users email, whereever there exists one.

then we will accept to live with the outcome, and this discussion can be buried or rest a long time, before someone else is not satisfied and demands another vote on the subject.

6. about the vote system fail as a whole:

1987 campaign like newsletter, to encourage users to vote on their favorite stuff, in different categories. on a regular basis, sent by the system automaticly, direct to inbox and email. try to get people to vote instead of just giving up to fight for it.

this is just an idea, not thought through by me..

7. no more discussions, vote and live with result, now!
2009-11-20 01:15
chatGPZ

Quote:
the artist can ask any voter, "why do you like it so much ?"
or, "why do you hate it so much ?"

he will be likely to do this in private. whats the use to open a thread and write "hey Geir, why do you vote 4 for this ?" - it dont concern you, only the artist and geir.

ofcourse. everyone will be calm and mature and noone will start a topic to bitch and flame.

Quote:
secondly, you can find downvoters.
unless its a basic demo with flashing bordercolors and a text saying "Hello World!" - nothing deserves a 1, nothing.

i bet i am not the only one who disagrees with that - and your statement demonstrates nicely why there are anonymous votes :)

Quote:
then we will accept to live with the outcome, and this discussion can be buried or rest a long time, before someone else is not satisfied and demands another vote on the subject.

yeah, because in the real world, every time something is voted on, people totally agree on the result and all hapilly live after :o)

Quote:
1987 campaign like newsletter, to encourage users to vote on their favorite stuff, in different categories. on a regular basis, sent by the system automaticly, direct to inbox and email. try to get people to vote instead of just giving up to fight for it.

in other words, send regular spam to everyone? great idea =P
2009-11-20 02:25
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quoting Jan Harries

1. releases are art

Mine aren't.
2009-11-20 03:04
NecroPolo

Quote: Quoting Jan Harries

1. releases are art

Mine aren't.

Yes they are.

Even though I was harsh considering the music of your Chase demo - I think you do some real wizardry of code.

Considering my comment... Man, really sorry for that - but still, that tune... :) I'd checked your stuff before and I liked them. Then, Syntax ended and there were the results - wow I said and ALIH demo as #1 - so I loaded the stuff, cranked up my rather powerful monitors: load, run, tune starts (the calm part) I cranked up the volume then came the digi part that blew my eyes out, 200W per side - FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU I said then wrote the comment immediately with bleeding eyes. I could not hear high freq well for days, man :D

Cheers,
2009-11-20 04:30
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quoting NecroPolo
Yes they are.

No, they're not. In other news, I am not a doctor, and there is no such thing as time travel.
2009-11-20 05:25
NecroPolo

Quote: Quoting NecroPolo
Yes they are.

No, they're not. In other news, I am not a doctor, and there is no such thing as time travel.

Wanna talk about that? :)

I kicked your face - you kick mine.

Fair, accepted.
2009-11-20 09:22
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Groepaz, none of your remarks to my proposal bite me, you have been asked to create a vote, to vote if votes shall be public for all.

1. You said there is no majority.
2. you have 0 proof of this
3. so lets vote and see what is the truth

end of story, i am asking you to make a decision, not continue the discussion, its over.
2009-11-20 09:34
jailbird

Quoting Jan Harries
Groepaz, none of your remarks to my proposal bite me, you have been asked to create a vote, to vote if votes shall be public for all.

1. You said there is no majority.
2. you have 0 proof of this
3. so lets vote and see what is the truth

end of story, i am asking you to make a decision, not continue the discussion, its over.

Hello?

For the nth time, some of you obviously missed it, but we already had that poll. And the majority said YES to public votes.
2009-11-20 11:37
Stainless Steel

I have an idea, lets vote on if we should vote about the votes again.
And then have a poll about if the voting on the voting for public votes should be public or anonymous.

But beware of the anonymous cowards downvoting the voting of the voting on voting or the poll of the polling and .. i forgot, what was this all about?

I still think we need a anonymous top 10 anonymous voter list.
2009-11-20 12:24
Richard

Quote: yeah, a youtubeish instant system could produce more votes.

I certainly agree with you Oswald :) Vote a release by rating it by number of stars (annoymously) and calculate the overall score of votes that were made for the production underneath the overall vote. This would show how popular a release could be.

My idea would be to keep the the release comments but allow deletion of any unecessary spam/playground related behaviour from the comments page - if you are the creator of the entry. Or create a release and if you want no comments to your own release. Select "Don't allow comments for this entry".
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | ... | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
MWR/Visdom
Francois Prijt/Audia..
AMB/Level 64
Alakran_64
encore
Retroluzzer/Quantum