Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > all the magic just goes away
2010-01-07 21:25
Carrion

all the magic just goes away

with this video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI
I was hoping somehow that Liam/The Prodigy does the sounds himself.
But know all my religion is wasted...

It's somehow like with Timanthes... You never know what is converted and what is origianl - right ? ;)

... 34 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-01-08 14:04
pvcf

omg, at this time i was sitting the whole day on c64 and have composed all the day ;)
thats the bad thing to be an musician, you can't listen music during work ^^
did you have any links/songnames for me regarding rennie P ?
2010-01-08 14:19
DeeKay

Quoting fade
Without sounding like a prick, Liam Howlett is a talentless hack

failed. You do sound like a huge prick! 8)
2010-01-08 14:29
Stainless Steel

Say what you like, but the guy in the video sure knows his shit.
2010-01-08 14:35
chancer

pvcf, how much of the 4hero and reinforced e.g. doc scott , manix etc have you heard?

just curious...thats the whole thing.. prodigy were the poster boys of hardcore back in the day.while NW / west London where I'm from was one of the roots..foremost for Reinforced probably and then production house / kickin etc were also around.

I would say Liam is very good at crate digging and engineering foremost, though. I wouldn't say prodigy were consistantly good though, notice how they have gone back to their hardcore roots on some of their songs? . I do like other people / groups moreso who I feel are more inventive, but hey thats all personal taste.

ok.. in 93 this was released.. when samplers had **** all memories and it was done on an ST..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hv8cdgmMDY&feature=related

yep.. time stretching / pitch shifting.. now, well you can do that easily within seconds.. back then it was a case of effecting a sample.. bouncing it out to DAT, then back into the sampler.

so yep there were plenty more around doing crediable things, just they got known moreso. I guess it's what folk know or are exposed to.. I know Tuffy and a few more, knows some of the older dance tunes.. but I'm sure they had to go looking for them.

the guy in the video knows his stuff.. BUT , it's like me making a recipe from scratch or reading it from a book.. either he had a list of the samples used.. or sussed them.. if you crate dig, well a fair few of them songs are well known and not really obscure. comparing studio stuff from 97 to 2010 is a different matter... what took lots of minutes on an akai sampler, is done in 2 seconds in ableton etc

2010-01-08 16:51
Soren

Pathetic boys.. sigh... this is a bit of a waste of time, if you ask me :-)

Fade: Even though that tune might have been first, before Prodigy's, it does sound a lot more ghey ;-)

Jan: You are too old for Prodigy, sorry :-)

I agree with Stainless Steel.
Besides, most of Prodigy's is meant as party-music, where people go a bit crazy, whether they are on drugs or not.
Has been a pleasure listening to their music for me and many of my friends.
Not saying that it's the best music ever though.
2010-01-08 18:55
wacek

Now... Carrion got very excited about the video, it is posted by him also on other forums, so I already wrote a lot in Polish on the subject ;) but will gladly repeat myself a bit.

I don't want to go into discussion about the talent of Liam or the lack of it, because imho this is a bit irrelevant here. But as for the video itself, I agree with PVCF. Cannot compare this guy to the original creator of the track. It does not impress me (that much ;D), because reproducing the track in this way is not something as difficult as one may think.

First of all, sourcing the samples. Due to copyright reality, in most cases sample sources are included in liner notes for the releases.

Now, the effects applied. For this case you just hear that this one has been timestretched, the other one heavily chorused etc. And to find the appropriate settings for the effects, you do tweak the knobs until you get it right. For that you need just a lot of time, not talent ;)

Now, I would not take from the guy the fact that he is apparently a very skilled sound engineer. But that's it. This is the shit that makes for him this re-engineering much easier ;) For me, this is like watching a video of a guy painting a copy of Gioconda. Kudos for him if he gets it right, but he's no Leonardo :)

One thing I cannot agree - sorry PVCF - is that in 1996 there were no tools. Ableton Live is an awesome tool with amazing features (I have been using it since version 1.0 for my live performances), but it is still mostly a sequencer. And in 1997 Cubase has already been around for 8 years as a powerful tool for a studio musician. Of course, back then you needed a MIDI driven hardware sampler with it (and now you can have the sampler inside the sequencer), but this '96 combo (Cubase+sampler) was not much less powerful for creation of such a track, as 2009 Ableton is. But yes, the SIMPLICITY of doing certain things is completely different.

Oh hey, and by the way, respects to the mentioned Rennie Pilgrem, Doc Scott, UK hardcore scene. Without them I would not be doing my shit now :) but the same goes to The Prodigy. Like their stuff or not, they were the agents of change in the genre. Period. For example, for a lot of metal/punk heads like myself, they were the bridge to the Dark Side (of techno). ;)
2010-01-08 19:05
Wile Coyote
Account closed

I always liked, Voodoo People (there’s a good C64 cover somewhere) and No Good (start the dance). Fire Starter was ok. (from the new album) Invaders Must Die, Omen, Take Me to the Hospital, Warriors Dance are just excellent :D
2010-01-08 20:51
Deev

I've never liked The Prodigy and I don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of Liam Howlett, but when it comes to making music from samples, I think it's just as valid as using any other kind of instrument. You're still combining lots of parts to make something that's completely different, not anyone can do it. Same goes for using Live, Logic, Cubase or whatever. It might make the process a bit easier, but you still have to have the ideas in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for posting the video Carrion, I've been using Ableton Live for a few years now (my music's nothing like this I might add!), so it's been interesting and perhaps also inspiring to see.
2010-01-09 12:29
Stainless Steel

And fuck all the haters. Prodigy kicked some major ass.
2010-01-09 12:36
Oswald

outer space is the best one from them for me. :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
jmin/F4CG
Lord Crucifier/SCS*TRC
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Fred/Channel 4
Guests online: 129
Top Demos