Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > why cracking lame games?
2012-01-25 22:30
Dr.j

why cracking lame games?

hey there , i beleive some of you especially the crackrs wan't like my topic but i hardly can understand how decent groups cracking such lame "new" games , that some of them made on basic (or look it..), especially previews or unfinshed games. i understand the desire to crack and to continue the good old cracking scene (thats important and i support it) but for god sake the intros look much better than the games , only a few looks decent like POP 3 but the rest (as much as i saw lately) are really poor . i feel uncomfortable with this cracking.
2012-01-25 22:35
chatGPZ

switch csdb to demo mode, problem solved.
2012-01-25 22:37
iAN CooG

why releasing lame sid tunes that seem made in 1983, lame demos that seem made with 1986 demo makers, etc? ;)
2012-01-26 10:15
bepp

I'm sorry to hear that you feel uncomfortable with this cracking.
2012-01-26 17:26
Count Zero

Dr. J, so right he is. I feel horrified by this cracking.

(Sorry, couldnt resists. Making fun of this awesome english is no cool though - he has a very valid point.)
2012-01-26 20:29
Sledge

Quote: hey there , i beleive some of you especially the crackrs wan't like my topic but i hardly can understand how decent groups cracking such lame "new" games , that some of them made on basic (or look it..), especially previews or unfinshed games. i understand the desire to crack and to continue the good old cracking scene (thats important and i support it) but for god sake the intros look much better than the games , only a few looks decent like POP 3 but the rest (as much as i saw lately) are really poor . i feel uncomfortable with this cracking.

What is a lame game? Is there a standard that tells what games is a game, and what game is a lame game?

Crack on!!! Don't look back!
2012-01-26 20:36
Mr. Mouse

Look, there is no point at all to crack any game on the c64 in 2012. Period. Not lame ones, not cool ones. It's a pointless effort. It's a rediculous activity to be carried out by any grown man at the age of 40. It won't save the world, nobody ever cares about it (discounting us sceners, which likewise nobody in the world cares about), there is absolutely no market of consequence for it, and in the eyes of sane persons, it's a very nerdy and lame thing to do.

Still, so what? Games were made for cracking. So they get cracked. Beware, any game out there that still hasn't been cracked.

One thing that does concern me (not really) is whether all these cracks are actually cracks, or just the original game with an intro tagged in front of it. The art of cracking should be to do the almost but not ever nearly impossible. Make it run without needing the original. Linking an intro to a game that will run fine without the intro is not a crack.
2012-01-26 21:34
TWW

I support cracking of games which in some way enhances the original. it may be trainer, removing copy protection, removing custom loaders to allow other types of HW to run it, ntsc/pal fixing and simple bug-fixing is good in my book.

the rest is garbage.
2012-01-26 21:55
Count Zero

TWW: So true - should be introtagged by Garbage as well :)
2012-01-27 01:32
Codey

The intros looked better than alot of the games in 1994.. In fact i never got far beyond the intros more than once for the majority of releases..
2012-01-27 16:30
plagueis
Account closed

@Mr. Mouse:

"Look, there is no point at all to crack any game on the c64 in 2012. Period. Not lame ones, not cool ones. It's a pointless effort. It's a rediculous activity to be carried out by any grown man at the age of 40. It won't save the world, nobody ever cares about it (discounting us sceners, which likewise nobody in the world cares about), there is absolutely no market of consequence for it, and in the eyes of sane persons, it's a very nerdy and lame thing to do. "

So your idea of "sane persons" is defined by a global or regional consensus which you apparently follow without question? I guess this was sarcasm, judging by the next two paragraphs, but the first one was so stupid I had to say something. First of all, you are wrong. There is a major point to crack any game...namely that of intellectual enrichment and bolstering one's Reverse Engineering skills as well as enhancing those of coding as well. RCE (Reverse Code Engineering) is a certifiable job in I.T. now, if you need something that helps you fall in line with the 'sane masses'. So bullshit on your first point, and as to your second one...there is a "market of consequence"...check out "Secrets of Reverse Engineering" (2005) by Eldad Eilam. 'Nerdy' is a stupid fucking label invented to facilitate fear of higher than standard intellect, esp. in the U.S.

I still see your point, it's just that the stupid shit that came out of your mouth raised the noise floor so high it was hard to hear anything else. I don't give a shit what the rest of the world thinks about what I do, especially if it is leading to the aggrandizement of my own mental abilities.

As for the "lame" games...cracking has always been (at least for the crackers) about defeating the protections, more than anything else. Those in it for some kind of external boost to their self worth are the real lamers to me.

Someone said, all cracking aside from their idea of cracking is garbage. In my opinion, any cracking that someone learns from is good, but that doesn't mean everyone wants to see it. I code, crack and train many things that I don't post here, simply because there would be nothing original about such a release, and I only did it for practice......practice other coders/crackers had years ago, but I am just now finding time in my life to get around to. The fact that it's now 2012 and not 1988 doesn't bother me in the least, and if it bothers any of you, I pity you.

All this being said, I have encountered a few people whom I met on this forum, who seem to have a bit too much (way too much) of their self-worth invested in the c64 coding/cracking scene, and I must say they walk a difficult path indeed. They are the type of folks who are scared to admit when they don't know something and so they won't ask, but then when they *do* find out a new technique, they think its some big secret only they are privy to. I can only pity that type of personality.

... 39 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 121
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)