Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What does it take to arrange a good party?
2010-01-04 14:17
Archmage

What does it take to arrange a good party?

I just noticed that there will be no LCP this year. Instead of pestering people who need a deserved break to make me a party, I think it would be interesting to investigate what sort of workload it would take to arrange a small (40-50 people) C64/other 8-bit party myself. Mind you, this is just at the level of throwing ideas about.

So, you experienced party arrangers out there: what are the pitfalls and what does your checklist look like?

There is also one thing that might make this kind of hard to pull off, and that is the fact that I live in Oslo, Norway. So you Swedes, Danes and other EU citizens - hypothetically - if a party in the southern part of Norway seemed well arranged and cosy and not too expensive in itself - would you consider coming?

... 55 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-01-05 21:13
MagerValp

All this projector talk is total overkill. I've been to many awesome parties where the projector was utter crap (yes Floppy, I'm looking at you). The people, the atmosphere, and the location is what matters most.
2010-01-05 21:30
wacek

ok magervalp, i have to admit that back in '97 i was at a great party with a 21" tv instead of a bigscreen :))

now, i know i am a stubborn offtopic bastard ;) yet here are some mediocre quality shots - including my shaking hands due to long exposure times, lens distortion, and a lovely redish camera-noise (especially visible in technocracy shot), but hey, taking pictures in the dark room is not that easy :) use your imagination to substract some of that red, i didn't want to manipulate colors in any way.

single pixels in hires picture by astaroth

color reproduction - my preset, maybe a bit dark for some taste but i like it this way

for starfields it was not possible to take a picture, so here is a video to download ;)
http://arise64.pl/misc/01_starfield.mts

easiest way to play a avchd (.mts) file is using splash lite hd player from mirillis -> http://mirillis.com/splash.html

now that's for under 2k euro (back in 2005) - what do you think? ;)
2010-01-06 09:13
Archmage

Hi guys! Thanks for all the input here! I am afraid that I have to filter out all the projector talk for now. That info will no doubt come in handy later, but first things first.

So, I have done a bit of checking.

This is what I might have:
- I might have a location. Gloom has very kindly offered to book me the partyplace that they use for Solskogen (http://solskogen.demoscene.no/) the weekend after that party. Last time he checked the dates 23-25 July were still open, but this is the kind of place where people hold weddings etc. so I have to act quickly if it is to happen. There are several advantages that come with this place, namely tables and chairs, a power system (for lack of better words) that is able to serve the much bigger Solskogen party without breakdowns, outside barbeque and tent-facilities, a small sleeping area and optional showers in a nearby school (although this is an extra expense). The place is a 25-30 minutes train ride outside Oslo, and it is easily accessible by car or teleportation.

This is what I surely don't have:
- An idea if this is of any interest to people. If only Norwegians from the area show up, I might as well throw a party in my own livingroom (... which I won't). We'll need about 25-30 people to hit break even. More specifically, I'll need some indication as to whether parts of the Swedish horde will dare cross the border. Preferably in the continuation of this thread.
- Too much time on my hands. I just became a father again, so I am pretty pressed on time. Consequently, I will need help from some dedicated people to make this work. I'll need somebody who knows what the heck the projector geeks above are on about, somebody who knows how to put up a PA, and also a couple of guys who are able to function as fairly responsible organizers throughout the party and help tidying up afterwards.

This is what you'll most likely get:
- A small, affordable and friendly offline party in the c64 spirit - with room for other non-32+ bit platforms of course.
- Very low key entertainment in the sense of a big(ish) screen game competition, demo show and perhaps a dj-set if somebody is willing to step up. Adhering to Malmix' advice here, there will be no fracking seminars, live Rob Hubbard-gigs or award shows.
- No food or beer other than the stuff you bring yourself. There is no shop in the immediate surroundings, so you'll have to stock up. I will bring a coffee maker and coals for the barbeque, but that's about it.
- Nice competitions with symbolic prices made of clay and straw.

Mind you, I have no special secret wish to add "party organizer" to my list of traits . If there is another c64 party in the making in Scandinavia this summer, this is a good time to speak up. But if the alternative is to have no c64 party in 2010 I am willing to give it a go. Famous last words there... :P
2010-01-06 12:45
MagerValp

Maybe an earlier date would be preferable? That weekend will collide with Assembly, and possibly a Swedish emergency party.
2010-01-06 13:01
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Party also needs:

1. working votesystem
(yellow post it notes to vote, forget it)

2. an electrician
(to handle emergencies)
2010-01-06 13:12
Yazoo

Quote: Party also needs:

1. working votesystem
(yellow post it notes to vote, forget it)

2. an electrician
(to handle emergencies)

i dont think you need an electrician for a 40 ppl party... but you need to try calculate in average how much power the equipment / computers will need, and make sure that the power supply is strong enough.
but- if its that solskogen location there shouldnt be any problems with the power i guess.

2010-01-06 13:13
Archmage

Mvlp: check PM
Jan: for a 30 people party? I plan to do it oldskool, pen and paper ftw. And I'll bring some fuses. :P
2010-01-06 13:52
gregg
Account closed

Make sure people don't bring fridges, water boilers, etc. - oldschool computers or PCs don't need that much power. There is no need for an electrician on small(er) parties. Just be reasonable (no high power appliances, no 10 power strips plugged into each other, etc).
2010-01-06 13:55
chatGPZ

Quote:
There is no need for an electrician on small(er) parties. Just be reasonable (no high power appliances, no 10 power strips plugged into each other, etc).

having someone who atleast knows some basics and who can check simple things like "16A per outlet max" etc may be handy though :)

(votesystem? wtf.)
2010-01-06 14:09
Yazoo

ah yes - and make a website with a registration form :-) its always nice for ppl to see who is coming (and often had a little impact on my own decision about attending a party)
its also good for you to see how many ppl are going to attend. so you can make up a more proper calculation.

for the two oxy-parties i have organized i can say that you should count on about 20% visitors less than signed up (alot wont come, and some other - non-registered ppl will show up or sign up last minute.)

and just for psychological reasons maybe dont say "hey ppl, come to my 30 ppl party..."
better say: "there is plenty of space for about 100ppl" :-) (if the location is big enough hehe) that may attract a few more ppl and you may end up with a 50ppl party.

ah and btw... an invitation demo is always a nice to have if there's time for it. it brings more attention to the party i think.

just my 2 cents...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
zscs
instant
jmin/F4CG
Guests online: 74
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)