Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Diskmag conversion project reborn
2007-06-19 01:32
Ymgve

Diskmag conversion project reborn

I've started up my diskmag conversion project again, hopefully I'll manage to keep active this time.

Head over to http://c64mags.untergrund.net and tell me what you think.

... 57 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-06-21 18:50
Nightlord
Account closed

I need to very carefully express my thoughts:

1- It is a great project. Especially from the searchability point of view. Might require lots of effort, but still very beneficial to the scene

2- The following is not meant to criticise this project. We still need the disk mags in the d64 format. New and old. The web interface does take away some of the magic. I mean getting an issue of a diskmag, transfering to c64 grabbing a hot cup of tea, and then allocating an hour to enjoy the mag is a different experience than browsing the web. We still need sceners' ideas concentrated into coherent articles, bundled in coherent packages which we call diskmags. And we still need to be readers that look forward to the next issue of a diskmag and take the time to sit and read it when it comes out.

This pattern is/has been the main ingredient in the social fabric of the scene and it is what makes the C64 scene distinct from less mature scenes (It can even be argued that there is a correlation between the decreasing maturity in our scene and decreasing number of diskmags).

I just want to voice a concern of mine that new issues of diskmags should continue to come out as diskmags first, only then their contents should be handed over to this new project to be put online.

I hope I have made myself clear. Again, this project itself is a great project
2007-06-21 19:00
BAR.
Account closed

Quote: I need to very carefully express my thoughts:

1- It is a great project. Especially from the searchability point of view. Might require lots of effort, but still very beneficial to the scene

2- The following is not meant to criticise this project. We still need the disk mags in the d64 format. New and old. The web interface does take away some of the magic. I mean getting an issue of a diskmag, transfering to c64 grabbing a hot cup of tea, and then allocating an hour to enjoy the mag is a different experience than browsing the web. We still need sceners' ideas concentrated into coherent articles, bundled in coherent packages which we call diskmags. And we still need to be readers that look forward to the next issue of a diskmag and take the time to sit and read it when it comes out.

This pattern is/has been the main ingredient in the social fabric of the scene and it is what makes the C64 scene distinct from less mature scenes (It can even be argued that there is a correlation between the decreasing maturity in our scene and decreasing number of diskmags).

I just want to voice a concern of mine that new issues of diskmags should continue to come out as diskmags first, only then their contents should be handed over to this new project to be put online.

This was a good point of view and yes the idea itself is great. No asslicking.. ;) But i have to agree with stan at last. I like this style, too. Different but cool.

http://www.sceneworld64.de/
2007-06-21 22:49
CreaMD

Quote: I need to very carefully express my thoughts:

Text conversion has huge benefits. It's printable, you can print it out on paper and take it away with yourself and read the mag texts anywhere. Fulltext search can help to get reference about various facts (mentions of names, places, groups etc.) and dig out useful data. It's sure thing that project will never be complete, but it's sure thing that even when it will cover only 50% of mags that have been done for c64, it will have a great value for all of us and our children.
2007-06-21 23:13
chatGPZ

such a project would have many great uses for research ...

- compiling decent alltime charts
- compiling firstrelease lists
- finding lost/unknown releases (much easier if you have names you can search for)
- gathering info about groups and their members
[etc pp]

ofcourse, even collecting "all" magazines is "mission impossible". then again, making a database with all scene releases is even more impossible. or making a collection with all sid tunes. or....
2007-06-21 23:35
Jazzcat

Groepaz mentioned release-list online documentation. As a side-note to this thread, you can grab the complete first release list from 1991 to 2006 at:
http://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/onslaught/thelist.html

Any mistakes or missed entries, let me know.

By having all magazines online, it would help me gradually document the official yearly *first* release charts for 1990 and further back.

Regarding current magazines releasing on disk first - I agree, the element of focus for existing magazines is to stay on C64 and then at a later day migrate to the web (which I do currently with Recollection and soon will do with Vandalism News).

Ymgve: fantastic project! Great efforts! Keep it up! It will be of great use to the scene and wider computer-community.
2007-06-22 08:57
Mace

I added Sex 'n Crime to the list, since this was always one of my favourites. It's not my immediate intention to also add the content, though ;-)

[edit]
Oh well, I just added a shitload of titles to inpsire you ;)
And there are quite a few more!
2007-06-22 15:01
Ymgve

Thanks for all the support :) I've put online the scripts I've used for conversion at http://c64mags.untergrund.net/files/conversion_scripts.zip - quite messy, but someone might find some use in them.

Right now the "worst" part of the conversion process is the manual removal of all addresses and phone numbers. Without that part, the conversion from .txt to wiki could be automated too. (I really wanna kick the editors of Brutal Recall in the ass for including their address in every other chapter...)
2007-06-24 13:59
Mace

What about adding external links to downloads?
Is that ok?
Or perhaps to the CSDb page.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 95
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)