Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Green Beret - Is any interested in..
2010-07-31 17:06
Wile Coyote
Account closed

Green Beret - Is any interested in..

Is anyone interested in making a new version / conversion for the C64, as I am sure it can be done better than the original official Imagine release. The Imagine release was impressive especially the Audio which could be re-used, or conversed to use less raster time, although the graphics, and some of the playability could be much improved.

Ideas:
If the game were based on disk / cartridge, I thought it would make sense to load each level during the interlude screens.

With the extra memory, maybe it would be possible to use hires overlays on the sprites.

If the score were placed in the upper border, the playing area could be increased, to match that / be similar to that of the Arcade version.

... 55 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-08-03 21:07
JCB
Account closed

But if you start trying to do 8 sprites per line then 8 beneath for their legs you'll quickly get into a lot of problems with timing interrupts etc. I suppose there are plenty of ways around that (the overlap/repeat data in next sprite trick for example).

It could do with (of course) some test code writing for this stuff and this is where it'll probably go nowhere. I know I'm too busy, if I finish what I'm doing I've got 100 other things on my list, I'm sure you and every other coder is the same..

Still, despite some moaners I like this kind of discussion, it's my favourite part of writing games (much better than the no sleep for days deadline crunches)

Pete
2010-08-04 20:31
Wile Coyote
Account closed

As to not derail this thread, this thread should not mention:

Prince of Persia
Green Beret II or Green Beret the enhanced version ;)

The original idea was simply to recreate the original Arcade game as faithfully as possible on the C64, and make it better than the Imagine effort.

@STE'86 ‘well in all fairness the "arcade" sprite was just a de-res and auto recolour.’

The sprite represents on C64 a sprite that is half the resolution in the x direction of the original arcade sprite. No auto colour was used. Black Green Yellow were decided upon, and placed in position. The vibe from the sprite feels somehow correct.
2010-08-04 20:37
chatGPZ

or Prince of Persia vs Green Beret ? could get interesting :o)
2010-08-04 21:36
STE'86

Wile it needs a redraw.

the direct port and de-res does not work. believe me i am very aware of this from not too long ago having to do exactly the same to 250 odd frames of the PC POP sprites.

a simple halving of the horizontal only gets u so far. then u have to do some real work.

quite honestly i couldnt even tell if your sprite was carrying a weapon or just running without, so i guessed for my version.

by all means give it the once over to redefine it and prove me wrong but in its current form it only gives me the vibe of "errored data"

and i know you think that yellow works but it just makes horrendous colour clash to me and when u think just how much yellow would be on screen with all the other characters, it would, i guarantee, look like a real mess.

Steve
2010-08-07 20:56
STE'86

heres my alpha run cycle.

done yours yet?

Steve
2010-08-08 10:18
GT
Account closed

Quote: or Prince of Persia vs Green Beret ? could get interesting :o)

Don't troll. :)
2010-08-08 12:32
GT
Account closed

Quote: heres my alpha run cycle.

done yours yet?

Steve

Looks really good Steve.
2010-08-08 15:04
v3to

steve: like the sprite, waiting for the final anim. the movement looks a bit unbalanced atm
2010-08-08 15:06
STE'86

alpha v2 and we have a tidy up and the addition of a bit of a head bob as he hits the floor. and the animation speed is increased to test it.

getting there now:)

Steve

and if u think thats unbalanced, check out the actual green beret animation in the arcade version in mame. that looks totally fcked to me. like they are playing the frames in the wrong order :)
2010-08-08 21:33
Angel of Death

Quoting STE'86
and bearing in mind that the original was written by Dave Collier who was a sprite multiplexer pioneer, the sprites in green beret have some problems with glitches when lots of nasties appear.

you are right about DC being a multiplexing pioneer. (he developed what we now call "the ocean sorting method")
But constantly being forced to work at light-speed his games did have their flaws. (just ask the people in Remember what they fixed in arkanoid)
I think, with tech and knowledge now at our disposal, that we could make a better version.
Ste'86 's actor is only one sprite big. When the screen is moving there are about 12 actors at the same time on screen. Add some bullets and mines and you end up at about 16 to 18 sprites. Easy with nowadays multiplexers.
As far as I can see plenty room for some fancy hires scrolling with track-loading levels... ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
bugjam
Wolk/Software of Swe..
Perplex/Offence
acrouzet/G★P
Fix/[HF] + [ONS]
Guests online: 64