Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Werner ! (Registered 2024-05-30) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > a plea from an old schooler
2010-07-17 16:03
STE'86

a plea from an old schooler

please dont use modified PAL emulating screenshots for pictures on this site.

people may want to use this site to download unmodified c64 art in gif or png format with pure pixel definition.

if they want to see the stuff in highly debatable pal emulation mode people can download the PRG files and view them in that mode on an emulator.

Thanks
Steve

... 167 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-07-17 17:26
JCB
Account closed

@groepaz

That's exactly what Ste is saying. If you want to see "your" version/recollection of how it looks, go download a prg, set the palette and PAL emulation settings to how "you" think it should look. If someone wants a pixel exact image (ie 16 colours, no blending/scanlines etc) then there should be somewhere to download them like that NOT what someone else has decided to set the emulation to as then there's no going back.

*edit* as you posted again while I was typing..
I don't believe that's right, this is a repository of things as close to accurate as possible and having 16 colours and 320x200 (160x200) with the pixels where they were put is closer than a filtered image. You don't go downloading demos and re-packing them just because it might make them smaller. Ok if there are .koa or .prg files available then it's not so bad, but once again, who makes the decision what is right for a filtered image?

Pete
2010-07-17 17:34
chatGPZ

Quote:
I don't believe that's right, this is a repository of things as close to accurate as possible, you don't go downloading demos and re-packing them just because it might make them smaller. Ok if there are .koa or .prg files available then it's not so bad, but once again, who makes the decision what is right for a filtered image?

i am not sure i get what you want to say, but: the screenshot is not the content. the content are the linked files (and only those)
2010-07-17 17:38
tlr

Quote:
who makes the decision what is right for a filtered image?

Obviously the uploader does (currently).

I agree that the ideal solution is to have pixel exact screenshot with a site side PAL option for viewing.
If we don't have that I think it's a bit hard on people to forbid emulation on screenshots.
Several images use PAL blending quite a lot.
2010-07-17 17:39
JCB
Account closed

Which is part of what I said. The problem is that unless everyone agrees on a "correct" PAL emulation, who gets to decide which is the right one? or the right palette for that matter? Surely it's better to give people a pixel accurate image, the files that go with it and let them decide how they view them, not be forced to look at something someone else decided is right?

Pete
2010-07-17 17:41
tlr

Quote: Quote:
I don't believe that's right, this is a repository of things as close to accurate as possible, you don't go downloading demos and re-packing them just because it might make them smaller. Ok if there are .koa or .prg files available then it's not so bad, but once again, who makes the decision what is right for a filtered image?

i am not sure i get what you want to say, but: the screenshot is not the content. the content are the linked files (and only those)

I agree. And the rule that the binary must equal to the screenshot shown is also enforced quite well within this community.
2010-07-17 17:42
chatGPZ

Quote:
Surely it's better to give people a pixel accurate image, the files that go with it and let them decide how they view them, not be forced to look at something someone else decided is right?

yes, and thats why the PRG file is right there
2010-07-17 17:43
JCB
Account closed

Yeah, it would be ideal to have an option for filtering on/off, and of course if images are drawn to make use of it everyone will have been informed of that and if the uploader is the artist (quite possible these days) they can easily add a comment to say it's filtered.

Problems arise when someone like Ste uploads his stuff and (I believe this is what happened) is followed around by someone changing them to PAL emulated ones.. I don't think there was any reason behind it other than that person believing it was the right thing to do, but to Ste it obviously wasn't.

Pete
2010-07-17 17:45
tlr

Note that you have the option to lock your entries.
If you are the author and do have a specific opinion on it, change the screenshot and lock it.
2010-07-17 17:46
JCB
Account closed

Quote: Note that you have the option to lock your entries.
If you are the author and do have a specific opinion on it, change the screenshot and lock it.

Which has been done ;)
2010-07-17 17:48
JCB
Account closed

Quote: Quote:
Surely it's better to give people a pixel accurate image, the files that go with it and let them decide how they view them, not be forced to look at something someone else decided is right?

yes, and thats why the PRG file is right there

So we disagree on what people should be shown as a screenshot, despite an unfiltered one being the exact pixels an artist dropped onto a bitmap and PAL emulation being someone's attempt to emulate the signal path of those pixels after they leave that bitmap... Like has been said, an option to have filter on/off would be ideal.

Pete
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Tomxx/KAplus
tlr
Hend/Protovision (ptv)
saimo/RETREAM
Drees
Airwolf/F4CG