Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Weapons of Choice?
2005-03-20 09:20
Bizzmo
Account closed

Weapons of Choice?

Been away from the scene for some time, and was wondering what the latest tools people are using for GFX these days?

I did most of my work on Artist64 with a nifty neos mouse.

... 48 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-05-05 14:59
Tch
Account closed

Quote: RTFM! Press ALT-Q to enable mouse emulation, ALT-Q again to disable it.

I have also RTFM. ;)
Art Studio works fine,AMICA paint won´t..
2005-05-05 15:03
Tch
Account closed

Thanx Clarence!

Finally I have a working version!! 8)
2005-05-05 16:37
Bizzmo
Account closed

Many thanks Clarence! :-) I guess I have no excuse for being so unproductive now! I'll have a play tonight!
2005-05-08 18:25
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Can anyone recommend me a font/logo editor ?

I tried FontEd 3.1/faces ? but it has this weird
12x16 format, and fuxx up my gfx.

I will need something to do normal charsets, hires and vanilla multicolor.

Best, if its controlled with keyboard.
2005-05-08 21:00
Tch
Account closed

Yoh Rambones,

cool to read that you want to do some serious graphics! 8)
For making multi-color logos,I use Amica-paint and then convert them to char,using the Centauri logo-editor.
For creating regular charsets (1x1,2x2 etc..),I recommend the Atrix Char-editor.
I find it a real pleasure to work with.
But if you need a 1x2 editor,I recommend my own editor. ;P
2005-05-08 22:22
Hein

Quote: Thank you for that. I'm aware of Alt-Q to enable/diable mouse emulation - I've even used the command line to enable mouse emulation and specify the port... but can't get it to work with Amica. (The little joystick indicators show that the mouse button is being recognised...)

Oh well... How likely is Neos mouse emulation going to be included in the next version of WinVice... and when will the next version be available... ;-)

I used to have a Neos mouse aswell, it never functioned with Amica paint, only with the enclosed Neos software, which was tape load and save only, so I never used the software, nor the mouse.

Why not use Photoshop for any kind of graphics?? Also fonts are easily converted from hires bitmap to characterset.. or is that considered cheating?
2005-05-09 03:36
Wildstar

Quote: I used to have a Neos mouse aswell, it never functioned with Amica paint, only with the enclosed Neos software, which was tape load and save only, so I never used the software, nor the mouse.

Why not use Photoshop for any kind of graphics?? Also fonts are easily converted from hires bitmap to characterset.. or is that considered cheating?

Are you pixeling with Photoshop. It is well within the functions of Photoshop to pixel graphics. Now, I use the Commodore programs to do the pixel graphics because I know that what I see in VICE is what it would look like on the C= of course with the technical factor of SVGA screen vs. TV/Composite monitors. Another topic altogether. I would set VICE to give me the most TV-ish look and feel to get the idea of how it would aproximately look on a 1702 monitor.

I use VICE because of the means of getting the graphics out to the group as quickly as possible because I do not have any means to transfer the files in a quick manner.

I know that MANY that do Photoshop work do NOT pixel their graphics very much and they OFTEN use a "smear" tool to soften edges and OFTEN only do pixel touch ups on the RARE occasion. I know as I have seen this in College classes that teach Photoshop. I have had digital graphics classes in the past.

The problem with conversions is the left over "artifacts" (ugly pixelated junk pixels - to explain it in layman term), which would need to be cleaned up.

2005-05-09 08:09
Hein

Yes, Photoshop is good enough for c64 pixel graphics, allthough the pixeldoubling has to be done by hand, just like figuring out the 3 colors per char (or 2 if hires), but with an 8x8 grid its quite easy. I do use Drazpaint to do the finishing touch, also to set some colors in a way that programmers can use the graphics.

With todays modes of xfli ufli superfli interlacedturbofli with sprites underneath the border, its a different story I guess.
2005-05-09 09:15
Dane
Account closed

Quote: Yes, Photoshop is good enough for c64 pixel graphics, allthough the pixeldoubling has to be done by hand, just like figuring out the 3 colors per char (or 2 if hires), but with an 8x8 grid its quite easy. I do use Drazpaint to do the finishing touch, also to set some colors in a way that programmers can use the graphics.

With todays modes of xfli ufli superfli interlacedturbofli with sprites underneath the border, its a different story I guess.

Interlaced turbofli? OMG! Send me the editor!
2005-05-09 11:57
Bizzmo
Account closed

Hein, I use/d a tool called "Artist 64" which utilised the NEOS mouse. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that it really needed and was designed around the mouse.

While it supported joystick - it needed far too much moving around the screen to select options to ever be considered friendly (no keyboard shortcuts etc).

With the mouse it was fantastic... without, well you woulnd't even consider it!

Bizz.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
Harry/Alivers
Mr. SID
Andy/AEG
Scrap/Genesis Project
Matt