Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > New PC paintprogram for c64
2005-10-17 22:18
Mirage

New PC paintprogram for c64

Some of you might already know this, but i've been working on a paintprogram of my own for some time now.

It's based on Paint.Net (http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/ (check it out, it's great (and free!))), so it has layer functionality, effects, all default tools, antialiasing, unlimited history and more fancy stuff you'll only find in that program and photoshop but my adaptation also has filters to convert to c64 formats (FLI, koala and single color bitmap but also the option to convert to sprites and more).
On top of that you can paint and draw in single and multicolour mode with all 16 c64 colours and a transparent colour.

Here's a screenshot of what it currently looks like and shows some of the features:

http://www.tehwinnar.com/timanthes001.jpg

It currently doesn't export anything, because i'm not quite sure how to implement that yet, so any suggestions are welcome :)

For the moment i'd like to get some feedback and in about a month (I have to put together a document first on how to use it) I'll be putting out a first alpha version which people can test (this requires windows 2000/server 2003/XP and the .Net framework 1.1)

Cheers,

Mirage/Focus

... 91 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-11-10 10:35
Oswald

maybe I shouldnt feel angry and cheated about this paintproggy but I do. For me a year of work got wasted.

Taking an existing free top-notch paintproggy source and adding a few filters ... well this is really easy and cool. My way wasnt as straight with P1, I had to do everything myself.

When comparing my and Mirage's editor noone will give a shit about the different amount of works they needed. I have wasted 20 times as much energy on a 100 times lamer editor. heh....

Now I go and delete my lame editor's entry.

2005-11-10 11:24
dalezy

can't wait.
no really, i can't. =)
2005-11-10 11:49
Radiant

This seems nice and all, but I, for one, can't even install Paint.Net (the installer crashes near the end and undoes everything).
2005-11-10 12:41
JackAsser

@Oswald: Your editor isn't lame and personally I like alternatives that doesn't depend on .net stuff, also you have no idea how hard those filters was to write. It can be very difficult to patch and modify existing source etc. I do however think your attitude is extremly LAME. Get a grip on yourself man!
2005-11-10 13:23
madcrow
Account closed

Yeah... .NET is really rather lame and sort of limits things to new versions of windows running on fast machines... (although GNU mono might change that fairly soon, or at least change the windows part) If you were going to write plugins to allow a free PC paint program to do C64 work, I would have gone with GIMP plugins...

That said, I think that ultimately, a good C64-targeted paint program needs to be built from scratch with knowledge about things like color restrictions in from the start. Trying to add those to an existing program will almost always end up creating lamer images than a program designed for C64 graphics from the start.
--------------------------------------
please have pity on the n00bish emu kiddie responsible for the post above.
2005-11-10 13:34
Oswald

madcrow: I disagree with the 2nd part of your post. Restricting the inner data structures of an existing Paintproggy to 16 colors, and run a c64 mode restriction filter when something changed is a good idea imho. If the proggy thats being modified is cleverly designed this can work out real good.

mirage: if .net is fast enough try to make the filters to try all possible color combinations out of the colors used in the char then pick the combination with least error, rather than dropping least used colors. what if you have the same amount of pixels of different colors "least used", how can you pick which is best to keep ?
2005-11-10 20:05
Mirage

@Oswald:

What makes you believe this thing happened overnight? I just looked up my first posts on the focus forum about this program and it dates october 15th, 2004... And even then I had been working on it at least a couple of weeks.

The fact that I only posted here a month ago is because it was only then i decided i would give everybody the oportunity to use it, not just focus members...

If anybody doesn't want to use it, for reasons stated (.net requirement, etc) i'm sure they'll be very happy to know that your program works out of the box and without those requirements... seriously, just keep working on it, i really don't see any reason why you shouldn't...

@radiantx:

Paint.net comes with an installer, timanthes will just be an executable... shouldn't crash or anything... i've already run it on 5 different computers and 2 other focus members are also running without any problems

@madcrow:

What kind of ancient hardware/software are you using? it runs on windows 2000 (that's 5 years ago) and my computer is a 4-year-old 1400 MHz machine and the program runs like a breeze...
About the building from scratch with knowledge about colorrestrictions; my layers have 8 charactermaps and 1 colormap on an 8x8 pixel basis attached to them, and they emulate how a real c64 works with transparent colours and a background color... How much more closer to the real thing do you want it to get?

I'm just posting here to get constructive feedback which will help me finish the product quicker and will make it more userfriendly for those who do intend on using it.

@Everybody else:

Thanks for the great comments and feedback, it really means a lot to me when people i respect and admire (Cruzer, Krill, Hollowman, et al) are happy with something I'm working on :)
2005-11-11 12:37
WVL

hmm.. transparant background is REALLY nice idea.. that way it's easy to add rasterbars behind :) more colors!! yay!

i think it will also not be that hard to make super-UFLI modes this way, with all sprites differently colored ,and vertical sprite-color splits :) maybe even moving sprites in x also!
2005-11-11 12:41
Scout

Quote: hmm.. transparant background is REALLY nice idea.. that way it's easy to add rasterbars behind :) more colors!! yay!

i think it will also not be that hard to make super-UFLI modes this way, with all sprites differently colored ,and vertical sprite-color splits :) maybe even moving sprites in x also!

Okay, you code the C64 display routines then :)

Maybe it's possible to take a look at the C64DTV videomodes...
Could be nice to add them too.

---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-
http://forum.siliconlimited.com

Commodore 64 Scenemusic Podcast
http://8bitmayhem.blogspot.com/
2005-11-11 18:17
Tch
Account closed

Quote: hmm.. transparant background is REALLY nice idea.. that way it's easy to add rasterbars behind :) more colors!! yay!

Check out the interlaced UFLI editor. ;)
Am playing a little with that one.
It is quite amazing,and hardly flickers at all!!
Seemingly new colors appear.

And didn´t I already release a single-sprite-color UFLI editor?
You probably meant it linewise. ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Vg Vox/Voxvideogame
Guests online: 125
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)