Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Anti-Aliasing
2006-05-17 16:39
Tch
Account closed

Anti-Aliasing

I thought I understood but I am confused again.

What the hell is Anti-aliasing?

... 44 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-05-18 12:20
ptoing

Heh, i totally forgot that my Yus-Bird pic is on Wikipedia, have been asked by a wiki maintainer quite some time ago if it's ok to put it there, and there can never be enough c64 gfx anywhere on the web :)

About the antialiasing, the methong Jailbird described on the hires example also works in lores but only in vertical antialiasing. And i have to say that in most cases it's is not necessary or even bad to aa 45 degree lines, same goes for are "45 degree" line of wide pixels, as one will only blur the line and not actually make it appear smoother.

Also, for a pixel artist aa should be a form of meditation, it is for me at least in most cases :D
2006-05-18 12:39
jailbird

Quoting ptoing
About the antialiasing, the methong Jailbird described on the hires example also works in lores but only in vertical antialiasing.

Oh yes, you're right. Actually, it will work sometimes even in horizontal smoothing. Not so usual as the color-based a-a, but sometimes it's needed in low-res too - mostly when the pixeller runs out of colors ;) On the example I have included here, there's no way that the technique from hires would help. :)

Quoting ptoing
And i have to say that in most cases it's is not necessary or even bad to aa 45 degree lines, same goes for are "45 degree" line of wide pixels, as one will only blur the line and not actually make it appear smoother.

Yeps, right. It will make the lines thick and smudgy. Which takes us back to the taste of a graphician, to differentiate good/bad smoothing and if anti-aliasing is necessary at all. A machine or an algorythm couldn't do that.

Quoting ptoing
Also, for a pixel artist aa should be a form of meditation, it is for me at least in most cases :D

For me, aa is more fun than relaxation. Not the fun like having a beer and a chat with someone I love, more like the fun when riding a roller coaster and puking out my guts. :)

But your pictures really represent a general meditated approach. Adoreable style!
2006-05-18 15:27
Tch
Account closed

Thank you everybody! 8D

It seems I understood it correctly afterall.
The second example Jailbird showed (thanx for that!) is a technique I almost always use.
The other one I am not too fond of. (hedgehog) ;)

AA in UFLI is something else altogether.
I started of with doing it,but it looks -in most cases- better without.
That´s because in UFLI you are very limited with colours.
And as I´ve not yet used black for the sprites,it is only possible to AA a smal portion of the pic.
Hence it makes more sense to do none at all. ;)
2006-05-18 16:49
Monte Carlos

Please don't anti-alias horizontal or vertical lines.
That's what i consider normally as too much a.a. because
it looks like an outline.

Monti
2006-05-18 16:50
Monte Carlos

Perhaps this is the reason, some people
dont like a.a. too much.
2006-05-18 18:40
Wile Coyote

Quote: "Pixeling" seems like a C64 scene term to me, just like "part" (demopart). "Parts" are called "Pages" in the Atari scene for example :)

no it's not. Pixeling means just that, Pixeling. To place a pixel down one by one.

The moment pixels are placed onto he screen using any other method, then it is no longer pixeling :)
2006-05-18 18:42
Wile Coyote

Quote: I thought I understood but I am confused again.

What the hell is Anti-aliasing?

Anti-Aliasing is the smoothing of edges. Over Anti-Alias and it then becomes a blur :D

Some artist's on c64 blur more than anti-alias, and the results don't look good.
2006-05-18 20:52
jailbird

Quoting Monte Carlos
Please don't anti-alias horizontal or vertical lines.
That's what i consider normally as too much a.a. because
it looks like an outline.

Well, we're again at the matter of personal taste.
If you're referring to the mc sample above, forget it. ;) You'll rarely encounter such dumb examples on real, finished pictures. :) Shapes are mostly filled and dithered, colors vary, the anti-aliasing is different and even some horizontal and vertical blur-lines might show up to refrain the curved shapes. That's a common practice.
However, I'd appreciate a few examples of pictures where the anti-aliasing looks as an outline according to you, especially on a TV set where it mostly liquates into the picture - sometimes you hardly ever note the antialiasing...

Quoting Monte Carlos
Perhaps this is the reason, some people
dont like a.a. too much.

Quoting wile coyote
Anti-Aliasing is the smoothing of edges. Over Anti-Alias and it then becomes a blur :D

Some artist's on c64 blur more than anti-alias, and the results don't look good.

Um, I was never awared that some people don't like anti-aliasing. :)
Most of the graphicians on C64 use short two-level a-a, that always seems to me fine and should look tasty for most of the viewers. In fact, due to the restrictions in multicolor and the lack of colors on C64, even two-level a-a is sometimes hard to do, far from a more dense a-a (three of more colors), which is impossible to make as long you don't use up a single char for the anti-aliasing itself - and that would happen really rarely. You'd need FLI for a real nasty smudge :) So an intensive blur of anti-aliased curves is mostly out of question in multicolor. :)
2006-10-05 10:58
Mace

If you ask me, and in fact you do by posting the question here, it's like this:

PIXELING
Drawing a picture on a computer by manually putting pixels on the screen

ANTI-ALIASSING
The change in pixel countour and/or colour due to downsampling of a picture, in order to make the downsampled result resemble the original as close as possible.

DITHERING
The difference between the original and the downsampled result.

So, anti-aliassing is a technique to make a rough result a smooth as possible, while dithering is merely describing the difference.
2006-10-05 11:27
jailbird

Mind you, there is also a difference between downscaling (or converting) and pure handcraft.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 106
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)