Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > A thought ..
2006-05-06 21:39
Stainless Steel

A thought ..

Hi all,

i was thinking about a idea i had a the other day while i was on http://remix.kwed.org. You all might know the site, its a c64 remixer platform with nice rating and commenting system. The whole thing is linked with http://www.remix64.com/ and forms a great community platform for the entire c64 remixing scene (strictly mp3 and studio-driven or vst based remixes). Ive submitted a couple of remixes there myself.

The reason im mentioning this is, i am missing something like this for the native c64 composing scene. Im sure there are plenty of people out there who still compose natively on the c64 (or emulator / goattracker).

You might say, we allready have HVSC. Dont get me wrong, HVSC is great and i highly admire and value the work the guys have done there.

The thing is, HVSC is kind of static. More recent composers are usually just an extension to the VARIOUS/... branch of the next HVSC update. If im not in a curious mood, i seldomly go wandering through the various branch unless im looking for something specific.

It would even be a great addition to things like HSVSC and CSDB if connected similar to remix.kwed.org and c64remix.com.

I was actually thinking about trying to set up something myself, with some PHP & MySQL implementation (im a half decent PHP coder). Im not sure though if a project like this isnt a little to ambitious for one person.

I would like to hear a few opinions about something like this from other sid related folks. So if anyone feels like discussing the idea i would be happy to hear from you.

Cheers

... 53 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-05-08 21:07
Rattus
Account closed

I think it's a great idea... a few (thousand) SIDs per year won't even eat much space... And with rating system you could just browse through the best... And see what people think of your SIDs... Do it ! :)
2006-05-09 08:31
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Joseph:
I also like the idea of a SID portal with forum stuff.
http://sidmusic.c64.org ? currently points to c64.org,
would be a nice address to have..

2006-05-09 08:56
Stainless Steel

That would indeed be a nice url. I would seriously consider doing this if i could find some people willing to lend me a hand. I could do the PHP & MySQL code but my designing skills are somewhat limited.
2006-05-09 09:28
Frantic

If such a portal shall be built, wouldn't it be a good idea to build it around HVSIDS itself? I mean.. Rather than being separate from HVSIDS, tunes could be submitted to HVSIDS, but the portal could add functionality as a "layer" above HVSIDS. That would include such things as highlighting new tunes and new rips of old tunes and having all the vote stuff and discussions and so on? Also, the site could be used for generating playlists, which could then in turn be used locally on your already-downloaded HVSIDS-collection. This would also resolve (from the viewpoint of the user) the staticness of the directory structure of HVSIDS, because it would provide other structural entry points into the collection, even though the underlying file structure is the same as the current HVSIDS release. When a HVSIDS update is provided, the database of the portal could be updated accordingly, including playlists built on the previous version of HVSIDS, even if tunes are moved and so on.

...and no, I am not going to put any concrete energy into this myself. Just sharing my idea. :)
2006-05-09 09:46
Stainless Steel

Well, my idea was integrating it with HVSC and CSDB in such a way that submitted tunes would automaticly be inserted into HVSC in some way.

The whole point would be that this would happen on a more realtime basis rather than periodical updates in HVSC.

Also i would rather have an emphasis on "new" tunes that have been composed recently and not the entire HVSC collection. What sense would it make competing with Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway after all ? :-)

2006-05-09 11:17
Yodelking

Quote: Well, my idea was integrating it with HVSC and CSDB in such a way that submitted tunes would automaticly be inserted into HVSC in some way.

The whole point would be that this would happen on a more realtime basis rather than periodical updates in HVSC.

Also i would rather have an emphasis on "new" tunes that have been composed recently and not the entire HVSC collection. What sense would it make competing with Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway after all ? :-)

I'd say a lot of the people of the VARIOUS dir can easily compete with Hubbard and Galway! There are a lot of talented composers under VARIOUS in HVSC.
It's fun if you make a page that holds some kind of top-lists. Whatever makes people listen to more "unknown" composers than just their top 5 composers is good. :)
2006-05-09 11:19
Stainless Steel

Blasphemy!! martin & rob = god :-)

Personal opinions are permitted though, hehe.
2006-05-09 14:21
Yodelking

Quote: Blasphemy!! martin & rob = god :-)

Personal opinions are permitted though, hehe.

Funny you mention it, Blasphemy is actually one of my favourites! ;)
/VARIOUS/A-F/AMJ/Blasphemy.sid
2006-05-09 18:53
Ben
Account closed

Great idea! Making it accessible & organized decentralized would relieve maintainers from a sure burden + it will greatly contribute to the completeness.. Furthermore, I like the idea of the database being dynamic.

While you are at it: add multiple categories to vote for (sounds, melody, overall, innovativity, harmony et cetera), tune specs (e.g. duration, SID version), the STIL data (and hook it into search functionality), links to composer information and add both the .sid and a .prg file..

<edit>
Certainly this composers.c64.org site has a couple of the ideas I just mentioned already in place
</edit>
2006-05-09 20:48
psych

I propose another idea. It would be nice to see something like a competition where people could cast their votes and opinions on new tunes. Maybe some kind of ranking (charts) system could be good. what do you all think ?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
Alakran_64
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Dr. Doom/RAD
Guests online: 127
Top Demos