Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > music-assembler
2010-09-11 15:20
MC
Account closed

music-assembler

Any of you ever used it?

I am partly responsible for its existence.

Together with OPM who lived next door from me at the time (we lost contact) we decided after ripping lots of game tunes by Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway that we could do better technically.

We created a player routine which could play good sounding music based on tracks, sequences and presets (like hubbard's routine) minimizing RAM usage but without having big peaks in rasterline usage. The trick was working around the waiting stuff that had to be done with the SID or otherwise it wouldn't trigger. We accomplished this by having the player think ahead and make decisions for the next time the interrupt would be triggered. This routine would later become the music-assembler player code. The rest is history.

The two of us created the player routine, OPM was responsible for the track editor and I did the sequence and preset editors. We contacted Markt+Technik who also published some magazines in Germany and we had a publishing deal. They sold quite a large number of copies to my surprise at the time. I think I was about 17 years old or something back then.

I've read there were later 'updated' versions of our 1.0 release by Triad. Can anyone tell me what they changed/improved? I haven't seen a C64 in decades.

Cheers,

Marco Swagerman a.k.a. MC/DusaT

... 43 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-09-12 15:03
Frantic

I should just add that my account of the internal workings of the ADSR counter is quite likely not completely accurate in all its details. I just wrote from memory, but it was quite a long time since I digged into the resid sourcecode myself. Still it should give a general idea of the nature of the problem that is involved, i.e. the counter not counting in the right way in certain (not that uncommon) conditions. The rest of what I wrote should be accurate.

It could perhaps also be added that a sid tune would be "unstable" (with respect to ADSR) in exactly the same way each time the tune was played if it was called from cycle exact timed code. That is to say, no "indeterminism" is involved of course... I guess that is obvious, but it might not hurt to say it.
2010-09-12 19:59
SIDWAVE
Account closed

My knowledge is just hearsay.. I havent tried to code it myself yet, so i am not experienced.

I started to make a music player in january, and i had the tracker system ready, and some limited sound, and a data format, and then my harddisk died and i lost it all.
i didnt take a backup for 3 months, and that was a big mistake.. :(

if i should try again, i wont code it on pc like i did, i will use TASS on c64 instead (tass rom v2 by soundemon) - i feel much better touching the c64 a whole night, than a cold soulless pc anyway :D
2010-09-12 20:20
Frantic

Didn't mean that as criticism. :) Just wanted to clear things up a bit.

By the way, there is also a text by Cadaver about hard-restart in the following release: 10 Years HVSC

Might be worth checking out for those who are interested to learn a little more about hard-restart.
2010-09-12 22:11
MC
Account closed

It never occured to me there was a bug in the old SID. At least I never noticed it.

I've been listening to some of my own tunes tonight which I had long forgotten. Sure brings back memories people!
Browsing through my old stuff these are the dutch usa-team ones I remembered and like best:

1. Rock Da House, for it's funky bassline near the end of it.
2. Untouched (music-assembler intro music)
3. Ode to Galway (the tune that kinda kickstarted me)

I never was happy with the tracks I did for Rollerboard, they were repetitive and boring but time was short I can remember.
Ofcourse I never felt I could even come close to the quality tunes done by the ones who inspired me: Martin Galway, Rob Hubbard and later on Jeroen Tel.

Thank you people for keeping C64 music alive. I seem to have missed out on so much good stuff... This lad is sure as hell having a blast from the past atm.

2010-09-12 23:57
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Still Rolling is a timeless masterpiece. that lead sound with that smooth round soundmon bass; at that time it was some of the best sound design made in that hopeless editor.. :D
2010-09-13 02:50
Perplex

Quoting Jan Harries
I started to make a music player in january, and i had the tracker system ready, and some limited sound, and a data format, and then my harddisk died and i lost it all.

Your mistake was not using revision control and commiting your work to a repository somewhere where backup is done automatically. Losing months of work to disk crashes is the modern version of "the dog ate my homework", really.
2010-09-13 03:04
chatGPZ

Quote:
Losing months of work to disk crashes is the modern version of "the dog ate my homework", really.

cant agree with that :) the later was an excuse for beeing lazy... the first is just a sign of beeing stupid =P
2010-09-13 08:04
Perplex

Quote: Quote:
Losing months of work to disk crashes is the modern version of "the dog ate my homework", really.

cant agree with that :) the later was an excuse for beeing lazy... the first is just a sign of beeing stupid =P

Can't see there's any disagreement, assuming the dog excuse is stated with the expectancy of being believed. ;-)
2010-09-13 08:53
Oswald

Quote: Quoting Jan Harries

Your mistake was not using revision control and commiting your work to a repository somewhere where backup is done automatically. Losing months of work to disk crashes is the modern version of "the dog ate my homework", really.

ah, good to know that p1 and all my other stuff is "the dog ate my homework", really.
2010-09-13 08:55
Frantic

@mc: Just to repeat.. the ADSR bug is equally present in the old and the new SID.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
encore
Didi/Laxity
Overdoc
Case/Padua
Apollyon/ALD
Airwolf/F4CG